Regs that eliminate cotton mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh... won't work in icing conditions. Warm water only. If you dive both - it's easy to unscrew the sponge portion and skip it when doing cold, then put it back in when diving warm - but in cold water, it could cause freezing with the wet sponge in place.

scubatoys:
Oh... won't work in icing conditions. Warm water only. ...in cold water, it could cause freezing with the wet sponge in place.
Thanks, that's what I had thought would happen. Be nice if their ads mentioned that "detail". Do you know what would be the minimum water temp it could be used?

Nothin we dive in Kent... nothing we dive in.

I get a kick out of what the manufacturers describe as a 'cold water' reg - as in, anything under 50F. 50! Heck, at 60 we break out the shorties around here!

scubatoys:
I put the link in the previous post... but here you go again...

Apollo Bio Filter Link
Thank you I couldn't click on the other for whatever reason.
This is work until what exact temp? I never dive below 50-60 degrees and I try not to dive ever below 60 if I can help it. It should be fine then, RIght? How long is the sponge good for(how many uses or months or use etc.)

Oh yea... in 50's you're fine... I've been diving it a bunch in mid 40's with no problem. The sponge is good for repeated uses - as many as you want, as long as you remember to take it out and let it dry at the end of the day. I left mine in there for a month or so... and it turned a very interesting green color. I thought it might add flavor... but heck, a new sponge is about 8 bucks - so I tossed it and just popped in another. But without making a bone head mistake like that - I've had one sponge that I've used for over 4 years.

My Aqualung Micra ADJ reg has not caused any sort of cottonmouth for me.

I wouldn't bother with the Apollo Biofilter -- it's solving a problem that doesn't exist! :)

Besides, there have been a bunch of comments on this board (do a search) as to how Bad Things like to grow in Dark Places (like a BioFilter)... but suit yourself.

There are 2 sides to the theory here.
1) Like KrisB says, its another thing thats needs maintenance. Everybody is diff though, you may NEED the extra moisture that this provides.

2) Find a reg that you like and helps you overcome this problem. I have a Genesis GS2000 and I dont experience the prob of a dry mouth/throat but, I DID when I used the regs for my training.

Its just another one of the subtle nuances that makes everybodys setup, just abit different.

Good points, mikswi... I should point out that I had troubles with cottonmouth using an Aqualung Calypso on my first day of training, then we switched to the Titans and I was better. My Micra is the best I've used.

I've heard it has something to do with the mouthpiece, though too. The comfobite is supposed to trigger salivating glands or something.

KrisB:
Good points, mikswi... I should point out that I had troubles with cottonmouth using an Aqualung Calypso on my first day of training, then we switched to the Titans and I was better. My Micra is the best I've used.

I've heard it has something to do with the mouthpiece, though too. The comfobite is supposed to trigger salivating glands or something.
I dont know how much truth there is to it but, I have heard the same about the mouthpiece. I tend to think its more psycho-sematic(spelling?)than engineered.

I will say this though, I have bought items-tried them and then resold them at heavy discounts, because I didnt like them or they didnt work for me. This can be a rather expensive approach to gear setup but......whatever it takes to be safe/comfortable. I am not a person of money but I spare no exppense when it comes to scuba. I buy what I like.

mikswi:
I dont know how much truth there is to it but, I have heard the same about the mouthpiece. I tend to think its more psycho-sematic(spelling?)than engineered.

I agree. In general, it is a very nice mouthpiece. I don't know that it was engineered to activate the saliva glands, but it seems to (again, for better or worse). Some people have found it more comfortable to turn upside down on the reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom