Regs that eliminate cotton mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UCFDiver131

Registered
Reaction score
Ok im pretty new to diving and just wanted to know if anyone has or has used a regulator that supposedly eliminates cottonmouth with some moisture retention tabs or something. It doest seem like it would work all that well and I just wanted to know if im wrong. Thanks

Sherwood's regulators have moisture rentention fins that are supposed to eliminate dry mouth. I haven't dove with that type of regulator yet, so I can't say from personal experience if it works or not.

UCFDiver131:
Ok im pretty new to diving and just wanted to know if anyone has or has used a regulator that supposedly eliminates cottonmouth with some moisture retention tabs or something. It doest seem like it would work all that well and I just wanted to know if im wrong. Thanks

I have a Sherwood Maximus, and It does eliminate that cottonmouth feeling but your throat may start to dry out a little sometimes if you are underwater over 50 minutes. I love my reg. You can adjust the fins to your own comfort level and I have tried many regs. I would not dive with anything else now. I hope that helps. It has a really good price too.
Bridget

One of my students is using the maximus and she swears by it.

The only other thing is get used to it, I know that is not the answer you probably want to hear, but being well hydrated at the beginning of the dive can help a lot.

cancun mark:
One of my students is using the maximus and she swears by it.

The only other thing is get used to it, I know that is not the answer you probably want to hear, but being well hydrated at the beginning of the dive can help a lot.

Mark is right. Drink water or even gatorade and flavored water. AS a rule, I NEVER drink water. That being said I start Drinking water 2 days prior to a dive and drink water throughout the dive. I think that eliminates a lot of potential problems. I wouldn't even drink water in the Army. I spiked my water in BAsic with lemonade. I think that being well hydrated has kept me from getting the headaches others have and helps with the dry mouth tremondously.

the whole assembly of the poseidon regulators is stainless steel (inside the second stage) and will keep your mouth nice and moist. Peace

While metal regs, or in the regs help retain a little moisture - it is nothing compared to the bio filter from Apollo. Air in a tank runs .1% humidity... Metal regs may retain some but for real moisture - the Bio Filter increases the humidity to 60%. They work great!

scubatoys:
While metal regs, or in the regs help retain a little moisture - it is nothing compared to the bio filter from Apollo. Air in a tank runs .1% humidity... Metal regs may retain some but for real moisture - the Bio Filter increases the humidity to 60%. They work great!

How can you look that up on scubatoys

scubatoys:
I've looked at the Bio-Filter ads and it looks interesting, BUT! Can you explain how you put 60% humidity in the air and keep the 2nd from freezing up (free flow). It's common enough around here without in the spring with water temps in the upper 30's and low 40's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom