Regs on airplane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not believe in carrying regulators and computers in carry on luggage exactly for the reasons described above. Depending on where in the world you are at and where in the world you are from, people will look at you and assume things. I can tell you horror stories of people who have been detained on international airports for days (not hours but days) because of assumptions and embassies have had to intervene. No apologies offered. We live in a strange and paranoid world and in the business of security there are "professionals" who get paid to assume things. All gear packing has to be done to avoid assumptions. Yes airline theft is a problem but you can rent a regulator and apply for an insurance claim of whatever.

I always check my regulator and my computer. But I pack them in such a manner that the person would need to unpack every single thing to get to the regulator. I have not had a lot of issues but that could also be because my dive related travel has not been very extensive.

Looking beyond the issues of hassles from security guards and lost/damaged gear, are there any mechanical or pressure-related reasons why regulators or dive computers should be transported in a pressurized cabin vs. in a cargo bay? Many years ago, my instructor stated that a regulator could be damaged if it went in an luggage/cargo bay because of pressure issues. I didn't understand why that should be and never got a scientifically satisfying or sound answer. I subsequently heard the same thing said about dive computers, but again got a sound answer. Can anyone offer some enlightenment?

Only issue I have had with an Oceanic pro plus 2 was that as it had not turned off before the flight, it saw the flight as a very long dive wiping out all my other dive data. All my dive gear except computers and PLB get checked. I don't stress about my regulators when I have a $2800 dry suit to worry about as well.

Are y'all aware that this thread is well over a decade old?

I am now lol, some things you just cant kill

I've been wondering what happened to many posters from a decade ago, some names we still see but some major posters have not been around for a long while.

Just to be clear on the discussion regarding pressure in the cabin vs the cargo bay on a commercial airliner. As an airline pilot I can tell you that both are pressurized equally. The passenger cabin and cargo hold are in the same pressure capsule. That is why the airplane will depressurize if a cargo door opens in flight. The only real difference is temperature and that is not enough to be an issue. This is why live animals are placed in specific areas of the hold, usually close to the avionics bay, to keep them warm. Your regs and computer, if checked, are simply sitting directly under the cabin floor, same as sitting in an overhead bin.

Please help settle once and for all.

When flying, is it best to take your regs as carry-on luggage or check it in?

I realise it is probably safest to take it with you but I do get nervous when not-so-informed security staff at airports start looking at your equipment funny and prodding them in all sorts of ways.

I take mine on carry-on for two reasons:

1) It would suck to lose them
2) It makes a difference of a couple of kg on my checked baggage

I've never had trouble with security. I've had them inspected a few times but that's not a big deal.

R..

Regs and computer come with me. Rest goes in checked baggage.

When I get to my destination, I have what I REALLY want to be my own. I'm okay in a rental wetsuit and BCD if I have to.

I did spend some time in security trying to leave Mongolia on my way to Maui one trip last year. Scuba is not real big there, and with my limited grasp of Mongolian, it took a while to get my point across. Even when I did they just couldn't understand why anyone would have diving gear in the Gobi Desert.:confused:

Only a 1/2 hour out of my life....and I still take my regs in carry-on.

I take regs, 1st stages, computers, and a mask with me. If the rest gets delayed, lost, etc, then I can rent a BCD and fins. It would suck but at least I would have the most needed equipment with me.

I also carry a 15cu steel bailout bottle. That one also goes with carry in, though, I have to take it apart and present the tank empty for inspection of insides if prompted. However, taking that one with carry on, saves on weight, it is like 10 pounds or something.

Back
Top Bottom