Reg for deeper dive (130ft)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okinawascuba

Reaction score
I was reading some reg reviews recently and noticed that my current (first and only) reg, Sherwood Oasis, is not recommend for deep dives because it gets more difficult at depth. I haven't noticed anything yet because I haven't gone that deep.

However, I am planning on diving on the USS Emmons either late this year or next year, and it's sitting about 130ft down so I'm worried about the performance of my reg on that dive. Since the prices are fantastic around here because of the military dive shops (well, run on military installations so they are restricted in the amount of profit they can take), I figured I should buy another reg.

Any suggestions for a particular brand based on experience? I have been eyeing ScubaPro since I know they have a very good reputation, but I'm also not looking to spend $600 on a reg (the lower end SP regs are about $200-300 here).

600 bucks is a pretty cheap price for performance and safety.

Aqualung has a decent 500 dollar reg (legend) with a 100 dollar coupon right now. Is 400 too much?

Not to discourage your upgrading regs. Actually I think that valuing your life support equipment the way that you are, is a great thing.
But although your oasis is not recommended for extreme depths (deeper than 130). It doesn't turn off at that depth. Yes it does get progressively harder due to the intended use and design of the reg. But sherwoods are great regs and if this is your first deep dive, I would almost recommned taking it with you on some type of redundant anir source (pony, h-valve) just so that you can appreciate the difference. Scubapro, although expensive is a good reg. The only complaints I have ever heard are cold water related and seeing as how you currently dive an oasis, you are not there.
But some of the people I know that have been diving apeks since their open water days, don't have too much of an appreciation for the reg's high performance.
Definetely go for the performer though. You will not regret it, I promise. And if Scubapro is what your LDS carries and services you are better off going with that anyways. IF you want to save a couple bucks go for the G250HP instead of the S600 or 650 on a Mk25 as the only difference is size.

I dive regularly on my $300 pre-owned Scubapro reg(s) - just as with automobiles, something secondhand isn't necessarily "trashed". And I really like my MK20 and MK25 first stages, although I have yet to notice a difference in the way they breathe - and my used G500 and S600 first stages.

I wonder if someone could institute a service like "Carfax" for scuba equipment? Naah - the real answer is "have what you buy serviced and checked before use" - much simpler than used vehicles.

My first reg set was a Sherwood Maximus, and I've used it to 110 feet depth, but now it takes a back seat. My wife however still prefers her Maximus for recreational (up to 130 ft depth) diving. She uses about half the breathing gas I do, but has commented on how well the Scubapro sets breathe. Like the other guy said - it's not like the first stage just stops delivering gas at triple digit (in feet) depth.

If the shops have some other brands (like Scubapro) in their rental fleet, you might look "try before you buy".

My two Apeks TX50s had no problem delivering air at 200 ft.
I think they are fabulous regs for the money.

(Yes, yes, I will never do it again, and use mix next time...)

As good as they are, I am retiring them to be deco regs, having gotten other regs more specialized for depths (Xtreme Deep).

It does seem to be a waste to have a mint condition Apeks TX50 relegated to 20ft 100% O2 duty though....

Maybe I should get a TX20 for that... Hmm...

-BubbaFetta

okinawascuba:
I was reading some reg reviews recently and noticed that my current (first and only) reg, Sherwood Oasis, is not recommend for deep dives because it gets more difficult at depth. I haven't noticed anything yet because I haven't gone that deep.

However, I am planning on diving on the USS Emmons either late this year or next year, and it's sitting about 130ft down so I'm worried about the performance of my reg on that dive. Since the prices are fantastic around here because of the military dive shops (well, run on military installations so they are restricted in the amount of profit they can take), I figured I should buy another reg.

Any suggestions for a particular brand based on experience? I have been eyeing ScubaPro since I know they have a very good reputation, but I'm also not looking to spend $600 on a reg (the lower end SP regs are about $200-300 here).
your reg will be just fine for the 130 feet,it,s still recreational depth and you,ll get enough air ,make sure that you breathe normally and not over excert yourself.If you plan to go deeper in the future,then i recommend a high performance reg.I personally favour poseidon ,but it,s up to you.peace

okinawascuba:

okscuba,

I have an Oasis, and based on my experience, it does not get more difficult to breathe at 40 meters, compared to breathing at 10 meters. I haven't noticed anything yet either, and I have gone that deep(130ft).

I think that "not recommended for deep dives" issue may have resulted from experiencing "bottom of the line" models in rental gear. I have seen that issue discussed several times, and model names were never mentioned, only the brand.

The Oasis has the "top of the line" (for its brand) first stage. Not having controls and a swivel on the second stage means fewer parts and lower cost.

A suggestion I would make regarding any brand is to get a "top of the line" model (not applicable to titanium). There are a couple of brands that I would be willing to use any model, but with most brands, not.

If you buy a regulator, one point is do you want the option of having a control to enable you to consume gas faster.

And if you want deep, how about Mares Abyss? Abyss has gone deeper than any other regulator. It is advertised online these days for 300 dollars. I haven't used one, however.

It is good to have a backup regulator, so make a short list,
research reviews and reports, and go for one that appeals to you.

Speaking of backups, anyone who thinks Sherwood / Genesis products are below their standard of reliability, should carry spare tank valves and wrench with them when renting tanks. If they encounter Sherwood or Genesis valves, they can unscrew them, and replace them with a preferable brand.

In summary, the most valuable information I've seen is in the form of online reports and reviews. This board is a good source of information in general, but when it comes to regulators, many people will disparage a differing opinion, rather than back up their own opinion with substantial information. Kind of like politicians.

Anyway, do your homework, select your new regulator, avail of the fantastic prices, and enjoy your deeper dives. In the event you're afraid to use your Oasis and want to sell it, let me know.

Mike

Wow, I bought my Apeks TX40, with a backup TX40 and DS4 for $290 shipped. Guess I shouldn't be diving with it :(

jonnythan:
Wow, I bought my Apeks TX40, with a backup TX40 and DS4 for $290 shipped. Guess I shouldn't be diving with it :(
The cracking force adjuster on the 50 compared to the 40 is light night and day.
Best $35 I ever spent upgrading a reg :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom