Reg for deeper dive (130ft)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.......although I mainly dive Poseidon Jetstreams ( a universal standard reg the world over for deep diving ) , 130 ft. deep isn't exactly 'deep' diving, and I'm pretty sure your Oasis would provide acceptable performance at that depth.

If you're really concerned, just make sure your reg is well maintained (little things like keeping the 1st-stage inlet filter clean from salt crystal deposits, etc.) which can make a big difference all by itself.

Your Oasis isn't a death-trap, at worst you'll likely experience more breathing resistance with depth, but it won't suddenly cut -off your air. Perhaps you can do test dives to that depth range prior to your wreck-dive trip, so you won't have to worry about a 'weak' regulator messing up your 'real' trip?

Sherwood isn't on my list of favorite performance brands, and while I don't dive them, I'd say it's probably the most commom brand of regulator out there, at least in the recreational dive community, so I think you'll be OK with the Oasis.

I think you'd be surprised at how much better some of the performance brand regulators breathe, but you'll have to rent/borrow some of those to compare and appreciate the difference, but again, if you're on a budget, just make sure your Oasis is operating at 100% and then do some 'test' dives before giving up on it.

Karl

Well, I have to admit to using this as an excuse to find another regulator, at the very least to have a backup (or new primary) since I've had one dive ruined already because of a lack of redundancy (not mine, my buddy's). Since I realize that the Oasis is not highly regarded as a "performance" reg, and I have this wreck dive goal in mind (it may exceed 130ft a bit -- 140-145, can't recall, but I probably won't dive it until next Spring), I figured it might be a good excuse to buy another, better reg while simulataneously taking advantage of the great prices here (typically lower than LeisurePro). I can always convince the wife of a dive purchase on the excuse of "safety". Hence, the reason I have a dive computer as of a month ago. :)

The only problem is that the selection is not perfect. I was looking for Aqualung the other day because of the $100 rebate they're offering, but I don't think it's available here (have one more shop to check). I believe Poseidon may be available, but I'm not positive. Brands I know I can get: Scubapro, Sherwood, Genesis, Dacor, Tusa, and Mares. We're also adopting our first child this year so I do need to keep prices in mind!

Thanks for the advice so far (mostly). I need to look into renting some regs to compare. I took a stab at the Oasis (actually full Sherwood setup with the Freedom BC), and I lucked out. I've had no trouble with any of the gear, and it fits and works just fine for me.

I can only wonder what you would say if YOU WERE trying to be snotty.

........well, of the brands being discussed, I own and dive only Poseidons and Mares regs, and have been very pleased with both brands.

One important factor is service/repair support.......I have no idea how well either brand fares in that respect in Japan. (I'm in Texas, USA ) I've been fortunate in being able to find a decent level of support locally.....however, I own quite a few regulators, and have many spares, so I'm able to keep my regs in mint condition and bring spares on trips, so I really don't care if my brands of regulators can be repaired in the field, I always bring enough regs to cover any possible failures.

I'm VERY reluctant to have my regs repaired on site........it's critical life support and I prefer to really get to know the dive shop that I'm trusting my life with....so I get everything worked-on here at home.

Although I don't own/dive Scubapro, I'd expect that to be a fairly widely supported brand and a decent performer........most Scubapros have piston-1st-stages, which are vulnerable to salt-water corrosion, unless you can get a sealed-1st-stage model. I do know Scubapro makes a lower priced MK16 diaphram 1st-stage with good performance which keeps water out of the 1st stage, I'd probably recommend that model in the Scubapro line.

Mares.....I dove the Ruby and Voltrex models (the Voltrex is essentially identical to the Abyss) and have been very happy with both.......sealed-diaphragm 1st-stages, non-adjustable 2nd stages.
I'd say the Mares regs are the most reliable/trouble-free regs on the 'list'. If someone gave me a 5 year all expense paid trip to dive wherever I wanted as much as I wanted, on the condition I only bring one regulator, and if it breaks the trip is 'over', I'd bring one of my Mares regs. I'd say the Ruby is the smoothest breathing reg I've ever dove.

Sherwood, mid-range performance, but parts/service widely available, while I don't dive them I know plenty of people who do and they seem overall satisfied......a good choice for a regulator if you only own 1 or 2 regulators and need to be able to get it serviced/fixed all over the world.

One problem with Sherwood, in my opinion, is their 1st-stage dry-bleed system.......it's not uncommon to see divers and dive shops soak regulators after dives to clean them off by just dropping them in a rinse tank, you must not do this with a Sherwood 1st-stage unless the regulator is still hooked up to a tank and the regulator is pressurized...otherwise water will enter the 1st-stage.

Poseidon, so far my favorite reg, love the side exhaust, both for clear visibility (no bubbles in the face) and the fact the 2nd-stage can be used in any direction....there's no 'upside-down' with the Odin 2nd-stage........plus I like the way they breathe. However, they are more difficult than average to repair/adjust, and parts are more difficult to obtain........which isn't an issue for me, but something you need to consider.

Genesis and Tusa.........these 2 brands don't appear to be widely supported , they may be acceptable regulators, but personally, and least here in Texas, I'd avoid them, it's very difficult to find shops that fix/repair them........but perhaps in Japan things are different?

Dacor ( was recently purchased by Mares, so new generation Dacor regs are really just low-end Mares models) avoid older model Dacor models, parts for these units are out of production, and those units will soon be worthless.........not an issue for the newer model regs, however, I'd skip the Dacor and 'upgrade' to a 'real' Mares reg..

Karl

OS,

I recomend theApeks ATX2000(from Torii) they have it for alot less than $600 and is a reg you wont outgrow. I also own a SP MK25-s550 and it dosent compare at all! The lower end SP second stages suck IMO If you wanna try mine just PM me and well make a dive

keyshunter:
I can only wonder what you would say if YOU WERE trying to be snotty.
I'd follow Mike Bell's lead and his reference to motorcycle helmets:

If you have $300 lungs, feed them with a $300 regulator.

minervamar:
okscuba,

I have an Oasis, and based on my experience, it does not get more difficult to breathe at 40 meters, compared to breathing at 10 meters. I haven't noticed anything yet either, and I have gone that deep(130ft).

I think that "not recommended for deep dives" issue may have resulted from experiencing "bottom of the line" models in rental gear. I have seen that issue discussed several times, and model names were never mentioned, only the brand.

The Oasis has the "top of the line" (for its brand) first stage. Not having controls and a swivel on the second stage means fewer parts and lower cost.

A suggestion I would make regarding any brand is to get a "top of the line" model (not applicable to titanium). There are a couple of brands that I would be willing to use any model, but with most brands, not.

If you buy a regulator, one point is do you want the option of having a control to enable you to consume gas faster.

And if you want deep, how about Mares Abyss? Abyss has gone deeper than any other regulator. It is advertised online these days for 300 dollars. I haven't used one, however.

It is good to have a backup regulator, so make a short list,
research reviews and reports, and go for one that appeals to you.

Speaking of backups, anyone who thinks Sherwood / Genesis products are below their standard of reliability, should carry spare tank valves and wrench with them when renting tanks. If they encounter Sherwood or Genesis valves, they can unscrew them, and replace them with a preferable brand.

In summary, the most valuable information I've seen is in the form of online reports and reviews. This board is a good source of information in general, but when it comes to regulators, many people will disparage a differing opinion, rather than back up their own opinion with substantial information. Kind of like politicians.

Anyway, do your homework, select your new regulator, avail of the fantastic prices, and enjoy your deeper dives. In the event you're afraid to use your Oasis and want to sell it, let me know.

Mike
I'd second the Mares Abyss.
I dove many different brands before I decided on a reg. Apeks, Scubapro, Aqualung and in the end I bought the Mares Abyss and the Poseidon Jetstream.
I prefer the Mares over the Poseidon because it is a nicer breather.
It breathes the same in 5 or 50 meter, in warm or ice cold water. Very solid and well made. Never heared that someone wasn't happy with the Abyss.
And currently holds the deep dive record with over 300 meters(~1000ft.?)

APEKS ATX50, the only way to go.................

Well maintained, you regulators are likely to be around for a long time. Better to wait, save money and then buy a top performer than to get something less right now if that is all you can afford.

Your regulator is not inadequate for sport diving and sport diving limits. You can keep using them for now until you are ready for the purchase. Also, if you use helium in your mix, it makes the regulator perform even better than by using regular air.

I was still using my old Mares MR12III regulators that I got in 1986 until last year. They still work just fine. Now I dive Aqualung Legend LX Supremes. SWWWEEEEEEEEEET!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom