Reg flow adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When your reg is free flowing, its your IP pressure, the manufacturer has a recommended pressure setting for the 1st stage. Sounds like yours may be set a bit high. When i am going ice diving, i adjust mine down 5 - 10 psi, still breaths like it should, and i dont have free flowing issues. I return them to normal pressures for summer.
What are you going to do if your reg is unbalanced piston like very common mk2? There is no IP adjustment, it is just the tension of the spring. What I am trying to say is, it might have worked what you did but it is not the right way.

Get a gauge and check the IP if you want. Fresh from service it's probably fine.

Did you let them know that you were going to be doing very cold diving? There's a few adjustments made for things like ice diving if that's what you were planning on doing.

And lastly to the original point of the post. The adjustment from the hose side of the G260 is for lever height. The adjustment from the opposite side is for cracking effort. Don't lower the lever too much or you'll affect the performance of the reg, especially at depth

And lastly to the original point of the post. The adjustment from the hose side of the G260 is for lever height. The adjustment from the opposite side is for cracking effort. Don't lower the lever too much or you'll affect the performance of the reg, especially at depth

OK wait that's new to me.
What exactly is the lever hight? So in my case I should turn the cracking pressure adjustment knob, right?

I was given a copy of Apeks ATX200 service manual by an authorized technician many yrs ago. I just followed the instruction........
I could not tell if it is a genuine copy produced by Apeks or not.
BTW, I have not seen Apeks "factory specification".

Perhaps anyone who has bought new Apeks reg should test if the 2nd stage free flow slightly when the adjusting screw is all the way out.

The owner manual does not mention free flow at all.

I have owned over 8 XTX regulators and sell/service a number of regulators each year. None of the XTX Series second stage regulators should free flow slightly when the adjusting screw is all the way out when received new. Following the XTX Service Technical Maintenance Manual for the adjustment and testing for factory specification, the XTX Series second stages should not be free flowing slightly when the adjusting screw is all the way out and the purge button is not depressed. In fact, there is a specific note that states the second stage "SHOULD NOT LEAK AIR".

I am aware a number of experienced divers like a slight free flow when the adjusting screw is all the way out, but it is not how Apeks ships the regulators. Specifications are below. The regulator should also free flow when the purge button is tapped when the venturi lever is set to the “+” position

upload_2021-4-26_15-50-32.jpeg

What exactly is the lever hight? So in my case I should turn the cracking pressure adjustment knob, right?
If you can stop the leak with the adjustment know that you can move onto adjusting the micro adjuster inside the knob.

I have owned over 8 XTX regulators and sell/service a number of regulators each year. None of the XTX Series second stage regulators should free flow slightly when the adjusting screw is all the way out when received new. Following the XTX Service Technical Maintenance Manual for the adjustment and testing for factory specification, the XTX Series second stages should not be free flowing slightly when the adjusting screw is all the way out and the purge button is not depressed. In fact, there is a specific note that states the second stage "SHOULD NOT LEAK AIR".

I am aware a number of experienced divers like a slight free flow when the adjusting screw is all the way out, but it is not how Apeks ships the regulators. Specifications are below. The regulator should also free flow when the purge button is tapped when the venturi lever is set to the “+” position

View attachment 655709
Thank you for the up-date.
I was talking on ATX200(2002 manual).
Now I know.

Look it up on line.
If you need to turn the knob more than 1 complete turn to stop the free flow then you might need to adjust the lever height.
But you just have the reg serviced so take it back to the shop instead of messing round with it particularly on lever height. You will have plenty of opportunities in the future.
An IP gauge should be in your next shopping list.

No disrespect. If you don't know about lever height in regards to your 2nd stage, don't crack that sucker open. Take the regs back to your shop and ask that they adjust them.

Then if you're still interested in working on your regs buy the book Regulator Savvy and give it a good and thorough read.

Actual adjustment is made onto the lever, that is why you need a special tool. Cracking pressure is the spring tension on the lever. Tighter, lever will raise, lower, it will get floppy. The tool will be attached between your LP hose and the regulator, you can turn an orifice right or left while attached to the tool and being connected to the tank at the same time. When I need to do a quick adjustment, I do not even use the tool, I just remove the second stage and turn the adjustment orifice to the desired direction, attach the second stage back to the system and test again until I get it right.
Just quick search and instructions are here if you already haven't found yet: http://www.angelofarina.it/Public/Scubapro/G260-Service-Manual.pdf
This is the tool in question.

The manual is too brief for the inexperienced.
A much more detail step by step description with photo is recommended.

Back
Top Bottom