Reg flow adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raphus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had my regs serviced.mk17/g260
They were breathing fine before, but I had them serviced anyway, because it was 2 years since I bought them and I planned lots of very cold water diving.

All 4 regs(1 first 1 second stage per reg) are now free flowing very easy..
One reg is free flowing when in predive and hardest breath adjustment, when water pushes against it.

Of course I can bring them to my lds and they will fix it for free.
But I would like to do it myself if possible.

As far as I know I need to remove the hose and adjust the screw on the second stage, so it breaths just a little bit harder.
I saw in a video, that there is a tool for this screw, so I don't have to adjust and test multiple times.

What's the name of the tool and where can I buy it?
Any Tipps on the process?

Why an IP gauge, since IP is a function of the first stage?
The problem of the reg free flow is likely a second stage problem right? Just bad adjusted.

IP is first stage and as far as I understand I don't have to adjust it.

Why an IP gauge, since IP is a function of the first stage?
Ensures that you are setting the cracking pressure to the correct IP and allows you to monitor the point at which the IP drops. You can use it without but for the small extra cost it is handy.

The problem of the reg free flow is likely a second stage problem right? Just bad adjusted.

IP is first stage and as far as I understand I don't have to adjust it.
You might wish to verify it as if the 1st. stage was not properly broken in after service it may not still be at the correct setting after the seat has taken a set.

Ensures that you are setting the cracking pressure to the correct IP and allows you to monitor the point at which the IP drops. You can use it without but for the small extra cost it is handy.
Is this for those new-fangled first stages with an external adjustment for IP? I'm not clear on what 'correct' IP is. Actually, I'm not sure what correct cracking pressure is either. Optimal cracking, yes, largely a matter of preference and conditions. I use my IP gauge to determine the working order of my first stages, things like instant return and possible creep. As long as the IP falls in the proper range for a specific reg and stays there, no problem.

First you want to test the first stage IP to make sure it’s within range, too high of an IP could cause a free flow. Second the IP gauge is useful when your test for cracking effort, it’s one of two ways to determine when the valve just opens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom