Reg configuration for pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am trying to figure out the ideal reg-configuration to sling a pony bottle. When I am diving with a pony, should my main tank still have an octo? Or should it have just one second stage and the Octo should be on the pony tank instead? In case I have to share gas, I will be able to pass on the pony bottle to my buddy. Are there any industry standards or preferences that address this issue?

Thanks -

CS

I have one second stage on each. If I had to share, I'd pass the Pony, unless a panicky diver grabbed the main.

If you had an octopus and a Pony, you'd have two backup second stages to contend with. In an emergency, the fewer decisions you need to make, the better (if you can make them in advance).

I am trying to figure out the ideal reg-configuration to sling a pony bottle. When I am diving with a pony, should my main tank still have an octo? Or should it have just one second stage and the Octo should be on the pony tank instead? In case I have to share gas, I will be able to pass on the pony bottle to my buddy. Are there any industry standards or preferences that address this issue?

Thanks -

CS

I personally use an Air 2, so this is normally not an issue for me. I feel strongly that you should NOT have to manage three second stages IF you are back mounting the pony bottle. I feel the potential for confusion offsets the benefit of three second stages.

If you are going to use the pony as a stage bottle; clipped off under your arm, then I think this greatly lowers the potential for confusion of second stages and I think having a primary, a typical octo and a pony reg would be fine and does give you a little more flexibility in an emergency with another diver.

And I always read about "handing off" a pony bottle to a diver in distress. Sounds ridiculous to me. If they are in that much trouble, I am grabbing them, holding them and managing the ascent rate for both of us as we ascend. Dicking around with unclipping a pony in a true emergency seems unwise. I would get the diver on my air supply, give the thumbs up and then start the ascent immediately. I am not going to try to unclip a bottle at the deepest portion of the dive and add that to the complexity of the situation.

Unless I am specifically trying out a different configuration or a different reg set, my usual rig set is always longer hose primary with a bunged second. The Pony, with a single second stage, is added if I feel it necessary for the dive.

Bob
-------------------------------------------
"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

Thanks -

CS

Sinbad,

Use of a slung pony is still enough of a fringe movement that the only "standard" you are likely to find is in the solo diver recommendations and even there you are given a choice.

Personally, I like to avoid a lot of constant changes in gear configuration and I don't always dive with a pony. So I keep my backup second bungied on all my dives. Then, depending on the dive, I add the pony as needed. This is my way of building muscle memory. I know I always have that bungied backup right where I like it on all my dives.

Yes, that gives me three seconds but for me it actually helps with muscle memory and gives me the most options.

In my mind, the pony should be a completely separate backup. You should dive with your standard primary and octo while the pony gets its own first and second stage.

I sling a pony so as NOT to have a octo on my reg. I asked myself long ago what is the sense in having two 2nd stages on one 1st stage? What if something besides my primary 2nd failed? So my answer was to sling a pony. My pony bottle reg is a DIN (the only DIN I own) there is a on/off inline valve that allows the air to be on all the time without losing any by accidently pressing the purge. On the 1st stage I installed a over pressure relief valve to replace the 2nd stages secondary function of pressure relief.

When solo diving I use ID's which of course provides me with 2 separate and redundant gas supplies and the pony stays home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom