Reg choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ycc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I am looking for my 1st reg and come up with few choices

Atomic Z2
I have heard very good comments to the Atomic regs, mostly about the 2nd stage but seems seldom talk about their 1st stage
so how is the 1st stage preform?

I really prefer Z2 but the problem is I could hardly find a local authorized retailer of Atomic,
so I do concern about how to get the reg serviced later.
If I could find a proper LDS could service it well, I probably don't care about the warranty and just buy from their website directly
(Do Atmoic's products ever discount? seems everywhere are selling at the same price)

I don't mind used gear but again, not much could be found in 2nd hand market, I take that a sign of good reg as no one want to put that away.

Hollis DC1/212

Recommended by my instructor, solid reg, I could easily find supports as the LDS is the main dealer in HK
Environmentally sealed 1st stage is definitely good for diving in HK coz water is a bit muddy

Aqualung Titan
Probably one of the most common reg that I could find on eBay, read through the comments, not an outstanding one but definitely more than enough for me right now(warm water, recreational diving)

I saw so many different version of Titan 1st stage: grey barrel/ black cube with red letter/black cube with blue letter.
So which is the latest model coz I want to avoid the older generation.

One of the largest Atomic dealer in Asia is in HK:
www.dblueasia.com
So you should not have issue to have a Z2 serviced there.

Hollis DC1/212 is a good product and the Aqualung Titan is a really proven design existing for 10s of years. But - imho - Atomic (any model) is in an other level regarding the breathing. Only issue is do you want it sealed or not, as sealed piston is more expensive to service but Atomic Z2 maintenance interval in 2 years. Not sure you would need it sealed anyway.

I would rank them as follows: Atomic, Hollis, Aqualung. However in the US the Hollis sells for about half the price of the Atomic so I would buy that first.

The AL Titan is the evolution of the old US Divers Conshelf line. Look on the AL website to see what the newest version looks like. The Titan LX (now called the core) is a better regulator if you can find one cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom