refunding deposit for canceled trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are running a business not a charity. Making a living in the dive charter business is hard, I have seen too many boats go out of business because they can't cover cost and take home enough money to feed their families.

As a customer some times you gotta take a big bite of a **** sandwich so you have a boat to dive off of next month.

What about the situation where you cancel on a dive boat that is not full? No one was turned away, the boat had more than the minimum divers for the trip. Do you charge them? I had one of these.

My daughter and son-in-law were getting their first OW dive (the same operator was providing the instruction), the instructor thought conditions were too rough for a first dive and took then to Jules Lagoon. We cancelled and dove the lagoon so we could be with them. The operator made the same as they would have had I not booked.

They charged me the full price for the three divers who did not go on the boat. I spent a lot of money with them that week. Three Nitrox certs, two open water checkouts and diving for five divers. That doesn't count the dive computer, fins, masks and snorkels I purchased from them.

I paid, but I still hold a grudge after 5 years.

Did this dive op have a cancellation policy that was clear for you to see? it's a sad that in today's society, most want everyone to follow the rules until it applies to them. then there should be an exception.

Honestly, I don't recall. But, I can tell you for sure that when we had our discussion about the new divers going to Jules and us going with them, no one said anything about paying for boat trips.

So do they have no responsibility to point this out in the interest of good customer relations? I think they just did not care. Because of this I never recommend them, steer people to different operators when I can and obviously will never book with them again.

Honestly, I don't recall. But, I can tell you for sure that when we had our discussion about the new divers going to Jules and us going with them, no one said anything about paying for boat trips.

So do they have no responsibility to point this out in the interest of good customer relations? I think they just did not care. Because of this I never recommend them, steer people to different operators when I can and obviously will never book with them again.

Yes it is their responsibility to make it available, but in all honesty, a lot of us don't see the posted sign until after the fact.

They are running a business not a charity. Making a living in the dive charter business is hard, I have seen too many boats go out of business because they can't cover cost and take home enough money to feed their families.

As a customer some times you gotta take a big bite of a **** sandwich so you have a boat to dive off of next month.

Exactly! And it kills me the number of people that think we should all work for free! As you said, this is not a charity or a hobby - we are all trying to make an honest living just like everyone else that goes to work for a paycheck everyday. If you're going on a vacation, at least you can afford to! Most of us in this business can't afford vacations anymore because costs of operating our businesses keep going up but people scream when we need to raise prices a few dollars or include a pier or fuel surcharge.

With that said, you do need to respect their policy - you knew it and agreed to it my virtue of paying the deposit and booking the trip.

I've more often than not made exceptions to my cancellation policy when someone needs to cancel. I first offer to fill their spaces and refund the deposit, if not, I will offer to hold their deposit on file for a future trip - even if those spaces go empty during the time I was counting on them. Sometimes there is no choice but to stay firm with the policy, especially on a last minute situation when there is no chance at all to fill the spaces.

<<I first offer to fill their spaces and refund the deposit, if not, I will offer to hold their deposit on file for a future trip - even if those spaces go empty during the time I was counting on them.>> Sounds like a pretty awesome policy to me though I hope to never need it.

I am a travel agent and I completely agree with Christi. Whether it is the travel agent (or agency, or direct with the operator) you are entering into a legally binding contract. The cancellation policies are put in place for both the benefit of the customer and the people providing the service. We all live in a society where no one reads an iTunes Terms & Conditions and signatures and hand shakes don't seem to mean what they used to.

There is a profit centre built into your cancellation policy and you have cost the business the opportunity to sell your spot while you have held it (ie. you might have purchased the best cabin on a tiny ship and they might have turned someone else away). Also the Terms & Conditions are set by the supplier (one providing the end service) and by paying in full or a deposit you are agreeing to their terms. If they do give you a partial or full refund you should be grateful as at 178 days prior you are within their non refundable policy that you agreed to.

At my agency we have travel protection that actually has a cancel for any reason clause (up to 14 days prior) where you get 50% of your non refundable/non transferable paid amount back, no questions asked. I understand that this is a very rare clause and I have had tons of clients take advantage of it (mostly girlfriend / boyfriend breakups that aren't covered by any policy). As far as I know this is only available through one insuring in Canada.

---------- Post added July 26th, 2013 at 12:32 AM ----------

Completely agree Christi without suppliers like you I wouldn't have a job as a travel agent and I hate when people complain over a few dollars when you are providing a very valuable service. Without you guys there would be no boat to get to those gorgeous dive sites of Cozumel!

Did OP ever tells us where the liveaboard was going and when?

I'm just trying to sneak on at a reduced rate. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom