refunding deposit for canceled trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eedive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'd like to get opinions from both travelers and those in the industry. When a customer cancels a reservation 178 days prior to the trip, and the policy is there is no refund of the deposit less than 180 days prior to the trip, would you give the customer a break? Would you want one if you were the customer? Thanks for the input.

180 days is 180 days, there are floodgates in business and they need to stay closed.
If that is their business plan and you agree to it, then.... There should be no reason for someone to require a 180+ day booking. I won't do business with any of them, did you?

It depends on the reason. Family emergency? Ok, Changed your mind? Nope. You knew when you signed up what the policy was. Lost your job? Not the ops fault. Try to sell your berth to someone else. Ops have a policy spelled out. They give you a two day break the next person wants three or four. The one after that a month. They have to draw the line.

Where was the trip to?

I'd like to get opinions from both travelers and those in the industry. When a customer cancels a reservation 178 days prior to the trip, and the policy is there is no refund of the deposit less than 180 days prior to the trip, would you give the customer a break? Would you want one if you were the customer? Thanks for the input.

Depends on what it's for and what I'm into for it.

If it's a local trip, within driving distance, and I'm not out any money, I'd refund the deposit.

If it was a trip to Bora Bora that had been in the works for two years, and I already had to commit to buying out a charter jet and don't have much of a chance to fill the slot, then not only would I keep the deposit, but I'd be expecting the balance also.

flots

edit: FWIW, most expensive trips (at least the trips I've seen), require trip insurance so if you get sick or have some emergency, the cost is covered. If it's just being cancelled because you changed your mind, that's a different story.

Last edited:
I guess that if it was pretty clear that was their policy I wouldnt get tooooo upset. Unless it was a real personal/family crisis I would understand their position. If it was a crisis thing and you couldnt not being able to go I would hope they would at least consider making an exception and in either case if the trip was pretty much sold out I would hope they might help you try to sell your spot to someone else.

How much does the 2 days hurt the charter? If 2 days means enough to you to piss off a potential repeat customer, his dive buddy, his referrals for life etc... There are a finite number of potential customers for charters, live-aboards and such. Every decision in a small business has to be weighed in the short-term and the long-term. Any smart business owner can turn something like this into a PR boone with the proper discussion with the customer, making it known how they are going out of their way to break a policy and expect some good PR in return for doing so, that ends up being a win-win.

Same thing as an international flight. Prices are usually a bit cheaper booked in advance. The individual makes a calculated risk booking in advance. Or the trips are so polpular that one needs to reserve their spot.

If the conditions are clear when the deposit is paid, them's the breaks.

I don't seee how a family tragedy impacts this at all. I realise you feel bad, but it has nothing to do with the 'contract' made while paying a deposit. Personal injury? Again, there is a perceived advantage of a reduced price/ secured berth which must be weighed against the chances of not being able to participate.

When booking anything in advance (for whatever reason), be aware that there is risk.

While a place is certainly within their rights to stick to the letter of their policy, and there has to be a line somewhere, being petty over a couple days is not necessarily in their best interest. It would seem reasonable to have an unwritten grace period they can allow at their discretion. As someone said, they will probably lose that customer and their recommendation forever, and maybe wind up with some bad attention. Plus limits like 180 days are somewhat arbitrary, it's a round number and not (usually) something magic.

Another thing about cancellations - would they have sold the room or whatever to someone else? Is there an actual loss to them other than a little administrative work? I know this can especially be an issue for small places in more remote spots, where people tend to book ahead and they're less likely to have people wanting to come at the last minute. But when a place is fully booked with people chomping at the bit to get in, good chance they will fill the spot 6 months out. And if it's not heavily booked, it's unlikely the person cancelling had prevented someone else from booking anyway.

The "right" answers on the part of the customer and operator are.....

Op: Sorry you can't make it! Let me see if we have a waiting list. If not we can try and sell your spot. Give us a month or two.
Cust: Thanks so much I appreciate anything you can do for me.

In a month or two.....
Option #1
Op: We were able to fill your slot would you like me to credit your card?
Cust: COOL!!! You guys are the greatest!! How about this? Can you just apply the deposit to your trip next year?
Op: Of course!

Option #2
Op: We are sorry but we were unable to fill your bunk.
Cust: I understand your policies are clear. Thanks for trying.
Op: Tell you what. Since you have been so nice I am sending you a discount code for a future trip. Hope you can join us in the future.

Nirvana huh. Unfortunately at least one of the parties in the transaction will refuse to see the other's point of view and it will deteriorate into a nasty deal.

If the customer has trip cancellation insurance, then they should be covered. As a travelling dive, I have to decide if I want to have trip insurance. If I do 15 trips w/o trip insurance and I don't have a problem, then I have beat the odds. However, if I have to cancel a trip, then I have to eat it; that is the risk that I took.

This past spring, we had a couple who had to cancel within two weeks of our trip. They did not have trip insuance. Lucky for them, we had another couple that was waiting to go. They were able to get all their money back. It was a win-win for everyone. They had beat the odds many times.

They are going with us this fall on another dive trip; they decided it was time to get trip insuance.

As far as your specific question, I would do everything in my power to take care of my customer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom