Reef Hook optimum length and material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WinePlease

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys,

I’m regularly doing drift dives and we use reef hooks. I’m wondering if there is any consensus around the perfect length of line and the type of line, with reasons for each question would be appreciated. I have a factory, Made unit and the stainless hardware is good but it’s quite a long Nylon webbing and I’m wondering if a shorter, thicker traditional rope or para cord is going to be better. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

I prefer my reef hook line to be about 7 feet long so my feet don't touch the reef if I move into a vertical position. Better to have a line that's too long than too short.

The strength of the line that you need all depends on the ferocity of the current that you are facing.

The type of line (webbing, etc.) Is personal preference.

Webbing/Ribon type line does not tangle as easily as cordage type line does. Makes deploying and restowing the line less of a hassle.

-Z

Deleted all the details.
I posted a homemade reef hook in the "new Gear" thread.
Wrong area.
Here is a photo of it anyway.
IMG_20230910_062727.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom