Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where/what are these 4 dollar pouches from? Did you ever attempt lexan?

I'm on the verge of completing a switch from the plastic backpack to a SS backplate. Of course the price has gone up :wink: All that's left is to add some weight pockets to the plate. I was going to make them but I got some from China for $4 each and they already have both Velcro and side-release buckles which is exactly what I had in mind. I just need to find some stiff, waterproof, unbreakable sheet of something to mount them on so they can be easily screwed onto the backplate.

I bought the SS backplate mainly because it is less bulky than the plastic with the lead weights. I'm hoping to be able to get all of my dive gear into my carry-on bag but for local diving I still like the $10 version :) It is still intact and ready to dive other than the wing has been switched to the SS plate but can be switched back in a couple of minutes. My only regret is that it doesn't accommodate lead weights as easily and neatly as @aquacat8 's "killed poodle." No doubt I will eventually cast one big weight that screws onto the backpack. I've been eyeballing a $160 wing but I'll probably end up buying a second snorkel vest. I"m just waiting for LeisurePro to have it on sale again :wink: My girlfriend has been watching my progress and is considering the switch from the poodle jacket to a backwing so a second rig will probably be needed soon, plus I have relatives who want to learn to dive.

I've only taken it on a couple of dive boats so far but nobody has said "what the hell is that?" or "you are going to die" so the appearance must be professional-looking enough. Other than the fact that the BC (snorkel vest material) is not as heavy-duty as a typical back wing I don't see any reason why it would not be just as reliable and safe to use as most other wings. To me it looks sturdy enough and any bladder could become punctured.

If any newly-certified divers are reading this, please keep in mind that I dove for about 45 years before I ever used any BC so to me this is mainly to satisfy the requirements of a BC on dive boats etc. Also, I just got a new Super-Stretch 7mm wetsuit which I expect to compress more at depth than my old 1/4" Farmer John so having a few pounds of lift at the beginning of the dive may come in handy. My snorkel vest BC has about 19-20 pounds of buoyancy in fresh water so that would be a little more in salt water. Ultimately I will be able to ditch weight in 5-6 pound increments if needed but don't expect to ever dump any weights unless I get attacked by a giant octopus or some other unforeseen disaster.

4x Spare Nylon Scuba Dive Weight Belt Pocket with Quick Release Buckle Black | eBay

I've put about 40 dives on two pairs of these and other than a little rust on one of the drain grommets, they've worked perfect.
Thanks @saxman242 The pictures of the ebay items you've linked do not show the back side. Can these pouches be attached to 2 inch webbing. E.g. if one wanted to thread a waist strap or cam band strap through the back side. How large of a weight will they accommodate? Could you post pix of the back?

Cheers,

Couv

Thanks @saxman242 The pictures of the ebay items you've linked do not show the back side. Can these pouches be attached to 2 inch webbing. E.g. if one wanted to thread a waist strap or cam band strap through the back side. How large of a weight will they accommodate? Could you post pix of the back?

Cheers,

Couv

Yup, they have webbing on the back to accept 2 in webbing. I use mine on both cam bands like so.

You can squeeze a 5 lbs weight in, but it'll be in tight.
IMG_20190610_155341081.jpg
IMG_20190610_155326325.jpg

For a further size reference point they perfectly hold a camband when it's rolled up. When I carry on my gear, this is how I pack it.
View attachment 523563

I have (I think) six of those and no complaints. I did, however, move the upper half of the side-release buckles up higher so they would hold hard weights a little more securely. I use them right-side up on my cam band and upside-down on my waist strap. My girlfriend has two on her cam-band. So far we've never accidentally lost a weight which includes jumping off of docks and boats.

On my most recent trip to Cozumel I brought my plastic backpack which I filled with 8 pounds of lead shot. It worked great along with 10 pounds on my waist strap however it was a real PITA to haul around and I got a note in my checked bag from TSA at every airport (four altogether). I am currently in the process of using two of those weight pockets on my cam-band which will be getting four pounds each. For local diving, since I have to bring weights anyway, I'll probably use the shot-filled backpack.

Where/what are these 4 dollar pouches from? Did you ever attempt lexan?

I ended up making some weight pockets from 2" webbing and they go on the waist strap and attach to the backplate with a 7 inch strip of 2" webbing (and a couple of cable ties, for the moment).

I just took a look at the metal grommets on my girlfriends $4 weight pockets that have about 30 dives on them and they do look a tiny bit rusty, but not bad. I'm sure she always rinses her gear.

I've been carrying around two, brand-new weight pockets in my carry-on for about a year, just in case I (or someone) needs some. They just got attached to my cam-band so now I'll have room in my carry-on for an extra sock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom