Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

......too late. Thanks anyway.

I noticed that a snorkeling vest is actually very similar to what they used to call "horse collar" bcd like in this discussion
old horse collar bcds

Yes, I added the inflator hose and dump valve. The main difference is that it's attached to the tank/backpack instead of being worn on the chest. I would venture to guess that the first BCs may have been modified horse collars.

A7AA3FFC-7035-432F-9624-04620F30789C.jpeg
017BE519-D276-4C91-B539-5159F2F92C53.jpeg
This post intrigued me and I built my own. I used a webbing kit from Amazon and used a sewing awl for the first time. I was able to try it out for the first time in a pool the other day and I love it. It will be perfect for warm water diving.

View attachment 538028 View attachment 538026 This post intrigued me and I built my own. I used a webbing kit from Amazon and used a sewing awl for the first time. I was able to try it out for the first time in a pool the other day and I love it. It will be perfect for warm water diving.

:D

My snorkel vest has a strap at the bottom which I replaced with rubber which holds the bottom of the vest securely against the tank. The only problem is that the boat crew isn't familiar with the concept so I have to check it, or just set it all up myself. I think mine is about 22-23 lbs of lift in salt water so I'm careful about not putting too much weight on it. Some ops want us to remove our tanks in the water and it might sink :(WP_20180323_009.jpg WP_20180323_014.jpg WP_20180323_008.jpg

Also, mine doesn't need a crotch strap!

:D

My snorkel vest has a strap at the bottom which I replaced with rubber which holds the bottom of the vest securely against the tank. The only problem is that the boat crew isn't familiar with the concept so I have to check it, or just set it all up myself. I think mine is about 22-23 lbs of lift in salt water so I'm careful about not putting too much weight on it. Some ops want us to remove our tanks in the water and it might sink :(View attachment 538029 View attachment 538030 View attachment 538031

Also, mine doesn't need a crotch strap!
I actually burst the bladder on mine after blowing up to maximum inflation to test the dump valve multiple times. No worries though as I have another on the way. I’m going to mount my inflator hose on the back this time like you did and it will have a tank strap at the bottom like yours as well. I dove it with just 4 pounds in my parents saltwater pool.

I actually burst the bladder on mine after blowing up to maximum inflation to test the dump valve multiple times. No worries though as I have another on the way. I’m going to mount my inflator hose on the back this time like you did and it will have a tank strap at the bottom like yours as well. I dove it with just 4 pounds in my parents saltwater pool.

I'm surprised the vest blew out. I have over-inflated my Blue Reef many times and the dump valve always opens first. I made a wing using 600d PVC-coated polyester and it kept blowing out. I even had an additional over-pressure valve on the manual inflator hose. So far I have had one pin-hole in my vest which was easily repaired with a dot of AquaSeal. Otherwise, as long as I lube the gasket on the inflator hose, it holds air with virtually no leaks. The pin-hole probably occurred while inside my carry-on suitcase. Personally I would not want to trust a wing that can blow out easily. Maybe your dump valve is a little too stiff. After I became confident in my homemade back wing I bought a nice, new hose assembly on eBay for $25. It has a built-in dump valve but the one on my wing always opens first. Unfortunately it looks like he sold out of them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom