Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A couple of people asked to see pictures of this so it's not a detailed instruction post.

I like it because it is almost like diving with no BC and uses the old, plastic backpack which I find very easy to don and doff, is very durable, lightweight, fits very securely, and has low drag. The whole thing weighs about two pounds and fits in my carry-on. It has about 15 pounds of lift.

I used an old plastic Sherwood backpack and a Deep Blue (size L) snorkel vest that I got for $10 during a Shopping Cart Special on leisurepro.com. It popped up when I was looking at my shopping cart and I bought it. Right now Orange is $20 and Black is $27. Everything else I had on hand. I like this particular tank holder because it is easy to readjust for different tank diameters. Sooner or later the Black one will probably be $20 or less again. The vest appears to be good quality but a little thicker material would be ideal. I guessed on size L and it was a good guess. I suppose XL might add a little more lift but can't tell for sure. The neck opening with size L was just about perfect for my needs.

Blue Reef Snorkel Vests buy at LeisurePro

I used a dump valve from an old, worn out BC plus I used an oral/power inflator from another old BC. Someone on eBay is selling inflator assemblies for about $25 right now (if you don't have one on hand) but the hose is a bit long and you may need to find a different connector to attach it to and just attach the hose to that. Or, if you are very lucky, it might fit one you have laying around. If you are using an old inflator it may need some work. I took apart the power inflator valve, polished it, and replaced the two O-rings. These valves need to be disassembled regularly but probably the only ones who do that are the some ones who service their own regulators etc.

Low Pressure Inflator Assembly | eBay

I attached the vest to my backpack using five stainless steel screws. The top screw is attached to a strap that I cut off to the right length and wrapped around the top slot for the straps. The others are screwed into the backside of the backpack around the outer edges. I utilized the waist straps by attaching a rubber strap held on with two 3/4" side release buckles. It fits either my steel 72 or AL80 without changing the adjustment. I also attached a strap at the top so it automatically ends up at the correct height when attached to the tank. I used a soldering pencil (25-30 watt) to burn some holes and attached an old auxiliary pocket from yet another old BC. I also found a black pocket (tool pouch?) with a Velcro closure and burned a few drain holes in it (soldering pencil) and attached a short piece of weight belt webbing so it slides onto the waist strap. I also have a large, brass snap-hook on the left side to attach my gauge console and/or a goodie bag etc. Next to the pocket on the right I attached a hose keeper for an octopus second stage. I also attached a crotch strap with side-release buckles on both ends with an "easy-to-adjust" strap configuration in the front, but I've never needed a crotch strap with a backpack so we'll see.

WP_20180323_008.jpg WP_20180323_014.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20180323_003.jpg
    WP_20180323_003.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 591
  • WP_20180323_004.jpg
    WP_20180323_004.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 578
  • WP_20180323_005.jpg
    WP_20180323_005.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 644
  • WP_20180323_006.jpg
    WP_20180323_006.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 592
  • WP_20180323_009.jpg
    WP_20180323_009.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 567
  • WP_20180323_016.jpg
    WP_20180323_016.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 636
  • WP_20180323_017.jpg
    WP_20180323_017.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 568
This thing is a masterpiece!

I'm on the verge of completing a switch from the plastic backpack to a SS backplate. Of course the price has gone up :wink: All that's left is to add some weight pockets to the plate. I was going to make them but I got some from China for $4 each and they already have both Velcro and side-release buckles which is exactly what I had in mind. I just need to find some stiff, waterproof, unbreakable sheet of something to mount them on so they can be easily screwed onto the backplate.

I bought the SS backplate mainly because it is less bulky than the plastic with the lead weights. I'm hoping to be able to get all of my dive gear into my carry-on bag but for local diving I still like the $10 version :) It is still intact and ready to dive other than the wing has been switched to the SS plate but can be switched back in a couple of minutes. My only regret is that it doesn't accommodate lead weights as easily and neatly as @aquacat8 's "killed poodle." No doubt I will eventually cast one big weight that screws onto the backpack. I've been eyeballing a $160 wing but I'll probably end up buying a second snorkel vest. I"m just waiting for LeisurePro to have it on sale again :wink: My girlfriend has been watching my progress and is considering the switch from the poodle jacket to a backwing so a second rig will probably be needed soon, plus I have relatives who want to learn to dive.

I've only taken it on a couple of dive boats so far but nobody has said "what the hell is that?" or "you are going to die" so the appearance must be professional-looking enough. Other than the fact that the BC (snorkel vest material) is not as heavy-duty as a typical back wing I don't see any reason why it would not be just as reliable and safe to use as most other wings. To me it looks sturdy enough and any bladder could become punctured.

If any newly-certified divers are reading this, please keep in mind that I dove for about 45 years before I ever used any BC so to me this is mainly to satisfy the requirements of a BC on dive boats etc. Also, I just got a new Super-Stretch 7mm wetsuit which I expect to compress more at depth than my old 1/4" Farmer John so having a few pounds of lift at the beginning of the dive may come in handy. My snorkel vest BC has about 19-20 pounds of buoyancy in fresh water so that would be a little more in salt water. Ultimately I will be able to ditch weight in 5-6 pound increments if needed but don't expect to ever dump any weights unless I get attacked by a giant octopus or some other unforeseen disaster.

Lexan is stiff yet flexible, hard to break, sheet plastic.
What is Lexan? - Facts About Lexan Plastic | A&C Plastics

Well now, that sounds like just what I need! I've worked fairly extensively with acrylics but never with Lexan. Now to search for products made from Lexan and see if I already have some laying around :)

Meanwhile I located some sheet aluminum which ought to work for one set of weights, but there will be more...

Lexan is way stronger than acrylic sheet, once I really tried to snap a thin sheet of Lexan in half and could not!

Now I'm wondering if the bug deflector from my old '92 Explorer was Lexan. It broke. Looking around the house I see a blender, a filter water pitcher, and a Lego storage container, all of which would be noticed immediately if they went missing :wink:

Back
Top Bottom