Using a reef hook with a Travel BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

james_bond_007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Since the "travel" BCD's (in particular, I'm interested in Aqualung Zuma and Cressi Air Travel) are intentionally being made lightweight, it seems that some compromises are being made in their construction. Things like lighter/thinner material, narrower/fewer straps, and plastic/composite (i.e. non-metal ) hardware, fittings, and D-rings are being used.

With that said, it would seem that trying to attach a Reef Hook to the BCD might compromise the construction of such a BCD, possibly causing rips, tears, and plastic hardware failure, resulting in potential harm to the diver.

Or am I overthinking it ?

Can one safely use a reef hook attached to the Zuma or Air Travel BCDs ?
(I've seen conflicting info on whether the Air Travel has plastic or Alloy D-rings. This might be part of the difference in original vs 2.0. Even so, with alloy D-rings I'd have concern about the web mounting points failing.)

If not recommended to use a reef hook attached to these, what might be a safer alternatives using a reef hook with these ?

EX: I saw a post somewhere whereas the diver took an older traditional nylon web weight belt and attached a D-ring to received the reef hook snap. Thus the load was placed on this belt instead of the BCD.

Your comments and opinions are appreciated.

Or am I overthinking it ?
Pretty much...people clip their scooter harnesses to d-rings and they never tear out - that's more force than you'll experience in the biggest current.

Also the d-rings aren't just glued on, they're sewn into the webbing. The same webbing harness surrounds the bc and is designed to support your weight plus the tank/weights etc. repeatedly without failure with stress points incorporated into it.

For me the issue with the plastic d-rings is if you use snap hooks since they might crack one if struck hard enough. Especially after years of sun/salt water exposure - or chlorine.

If you want a tougher travel BC look at the Scubapro Lighthawk. Leisurepro.com has the 2013 model for $249. It has 4 metal d-rings.

My opinion is if a BCD can't handle a reef hook, I wouldn't buy it. Just because it's for travel doesn't mean you should accept inferior quality.

Well, that is my question. Can the Travel BCD's handle a reef hook ?
True, they are not as heavy duty as 'regular' BCDs, but are they built 'sufficient' enough for reef hooks?

I may have to send a note to the mfgs. and get their take on the question. They know for what they did and did not engineer it.

Pretty much...people clip their scooter harnesses to d-rings and they never tear out - that's more force than you'll experience in the biggest current. ...

Do they do this with TRAVEL BCDs ?

I'm guessing the plastic D-Rings on these Travel BCDs are just for hooking small gear (lights, retractable compass, console, etc. ) rather than for a substantial load.

....but that is just a guess.

Do they do this with TRAVEL BCDs ?

I'm guessing the plastic D-Rings on these Travel BCDs are just for hooking small gear (lights, retractable compass, console, etc. ) rather than for a substantial load.

....but that is just a guess.

My guess would be plastic may be fine for a while, but we know it eventually will become brittle, so if I were choosing between one or another I would lean toward steel. I don't know much about the other BCD's mentioned, but I own the HunterPac and I can tell you it's built for just about anything except doubles, yet it's lightweight, packs very well and has all the same benefits of a BP/W minus the ballast of a plate.

I have been using Cressi TRAVELIGHT BCD with reef hook for 3 years without any problem. See the attached link to my BCD picture:
Dropbox - 2in Highland .JPG

I used it to hook myself on a ridge end rock (dead coral) of the Channel in Maratua Atoll (Nabucco) in east Kalimantan (Borneo), Indonesia, south of Sipadan, that is known for fast current (with air bubbles almost going horizontal) to see huge (thousands) school of barracuda, also in Manta Ridge in Dampier Strait, Raja Ampat, Indonesia and in Manta Alley in South Komodo, Indonesia, without any problem. The D ring is made out of hardened aluminum alloy, not plastic.

I have been using Cressi TRAVELIGHT BCD with reef hook for 3 years without any problem. See the attached link to my BCD picture:
Dropbox - 2in Highland .JPG

I used it to hook myself on a ridge end rock (dead coral) of the Channel in Maratua Atoll (Nabucco) in east Kalimantan (Borneo), Indonesia, south of Sipadan, that is known for fast current (with air bubbles almost going horizontal) to see huge (thousands) school of barracuda, also in Manta Ridge in Dampier Strait, Raja Ampat, Indonesia and in Manta Alley in South Komodo, Indonesia, without any problem. The D ring is made out of hardened aluminum alloy, not plastic.

Can't argue too much with 1st-hand experience.
Thank you for the info.

What puzzles me a bit is the contradiction on the Air Travel
From the Cressi site : AIR TRAVEL->Technical Details

-Durable 420 Denier nylon construction
-Lock Aid System integrated weight pockets
-Elastic air cell restraint system for streamlining

-Rigid, padded back
-Two-piece, adjustable elastic waistband for a secure, non-binding fit

-2 zippered cargo pockets
-4 stainless D-rings
-2 spring-clip holding rings
-Streamlined power inflator
-Folds quickly into compact travel tote
Size XS-S-M-L-XL

But from Leisure Pro and some others : Leisurepro->Air Travel-> Specs

Shoulder Straps Torso Adjustable with "Squeeze-Style" Quick-Release Buckles
Stainless Steel Rings No, 4-Plastic
Waist Strap Adjustable Webbing Strap with "Squeeze-Style" Quick-Release Buckle
So, I'm thinking a change was made in mfg., but am not sure if WAS plastic and is now SS or vice-vesra.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom