Reef Divers requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So not mandatory? That’s strikes me as odd.

Sounds like they treat folks like adults. I've always liked that about that "family" of resorts. I've also seen them shut down "knuckleheads." I like that too. I've always enjoyed diving with RD. Headed back to LC this summer. :)

I imagine that they try to balance keeping the customer happy and making sure that they have a good trip, while trying to run a safe and efficient operation, but I also have seen the Reef Divers staff (and other DIs on Cayman and elsewhere) take action when a diver acts in an unsafe manner, but they usually do try to treat folks as adults.

I remember once joking and laughing with a DM in Cayman and she said that someday (after she retires) she plans "to come back as a guest and make as much trouble as possible!" so I'm sure that they have seen it all.

Dove with red sail a couple years ago. They split up the group. Part went in shallow. The other part I was in went over the wall a bit and then back up on top. Then once back near the boat we were essentially on our own to come up when air required. They had clearly split the group into 2 based on ability and experience. Enjoyed the dives. Great viz.

Once again I can only say finding stuff on the internet has no bearing on what happens when a diver with skill issues turns up.

I can't speak for other operators, but for me it is a standard question I ask on either e-mail, phone or walk-in bookings.
And I have heard them all. "I'm a bit rusty" turned out to be 'I haven't dived since my OW course 15 years ago'.... People telling you to your face '2 years' and when I check the registration form they filled in that mysteriously has become 5 years.
And these are people which are signing up for a 90 feet wall dive as we clearly tell when we explain our boat schedule... it sometimes just boggles my mind...

A previous poster mentioned that he liked to be treated like an adult. I certainly prefer to do that too. But I learned the hard way that a lot of adults can't be treated like an adult as they can't seem to act like one. Unfortunately that spoils it for all the others.
I found the Cayman Ops I've dived with (Divetech included) always ask your cert level (need to show your card(s) on arrival too), your total # of dives and the date of your last dive. I do a few dive trips dive each year so I'm always within a few months of my last dive - but, I'd imagine, that since they ask that they'd take action if a diver was not current (require a check out dive, etc.,) which seems reasonable (and prudent).

However, this all requires a diver to be truthful. Unfortunately, as you have experienced, there are always those who don't feel the rules apply to them - a very selfish and inconsiderate attitude given it could put the Dive Op and other divers at risk!

I've been on dive boats on Cayman many times when there was what appeared to be an unsafe, inexperienced, rusty or bad diver on the first dive that resulted in the second dive being at a site where it was harder to get into trouble. I.E. very shallow reef as opposed to top of the wall. Have also seen the DM tell the perpetrator to stick with him/her on the second dive, presumably to keep an eye on them. Not a big deal but it does mean the rest of the group does not really have a guide, and being stuck on a shallow reef.

Some would argue that shallow reef second dives are the norm and you don't really need a guide, but some of us like to do a double wall, and having a DM with good eyes to help find critters is a plus.

On the other hand, in all the dives I've done in Caymans, the DMs have been excellent at spotting potential problems before getting wet and protecting inexperienced, rusty, occasional or just plain stupid divers from themselves. I am very impressed with the professionalism, knowledge and skills of the DMs and captains on Cayman. They deserve a lot of credit.

In some ways, I think that this thread is closely linked to the many "Do you log pool sessions as dives?" threads.

Unfortunately, I don't dive as often as I would like. This is especially true now that I am retired and living off of a pension. It is not uncommon for me to go over a year between trips. Because of this, before I do splash in that wonderful turquoise tropical water, I will make it a point to splash in the local pool and to run through the basics such as remove, replace & clear my mask, remove, find clear and use my reg, adjust my buoyancy (while acknowledging that the pool is freshwater and the destination will be salt water), become familiar with any new gear that I have since my last trip.

IMHO, this pool dive serves three functions. First, it knocks off a little of the rust. Make no mistake, there is still rust after my gap, but this does knock some of it off. Secondly, it also serves to help when the destination asks "When was your last dive?". I can then honestly say "A few weeks ago. It was just a pool dive, but I wanted to get in and knock off some of the rust before I got down here." Finally, it confirms that not only do I have all my gear, but it is still working.

So, yes, I do log my pool sessions, but more to the point, I think that every body benefits when the divers put in at least a little effort to be prepared when they arrive at their destination. I would much rather spend a couple hours in the pool at home, than be "that guy" who shows up not ready to dive when traveling with a group.

The comment about being treated like adults is one I would like to follow up on.

If you expect to be treated like an adult, then you should ACT like an adult.

SCUBA diving training is about safety, primarily - how to be safe underwater and the drills and skills you need to do in order to deal with issues as they come up. If you ignore all this in an effort to save money (i.e. I don't want to pay for a skills refresher) then in my opinion you are acting more like a petulant child than a mature adult. It's self-centered at best. So these people shouldn't complain when the DM starts treating them more like a child.

I would actually do whatever possible to steer them into a refresher...driven by safety but also self-interest.....if I pay $ to go on a trip, I want to do everything possible for it go smoothly as far as the diving goes. With the one DM system at RD, a DM distracted by having to babysit divers means one less set of eyes to spot critters and more limited ability for everyone to enoy the dive. I know this is hard to force on folks....ego and the "I'm an excellent driver/diver" mentality will always get in the way for some :)

Money where my mouth is = I'm going to CBBR with the family in March...already signed son up for a refresher given lmited experience and 14 months since last dive:)

There are two ways to approach it with them. One is to just suggest that they do a refresher at home to avoid any questions. The other is to suggest that they go to the local quarry or lake and do a quick dive (with rental equipment if needed), so that they can honestly say their most recent dive was a month or two prior to the trip.

I am actually surprised to read that the RD forms don't ask, because I can remember looking at my log on my computer to find that info when filling out their forms. I can remember filling out a form or at least answering the questions "how many dives do you have?", "when was your last dive", and "what is your highest level of certification". Maybe the online forms are different from what they hand out at the dive shop?

This may be a bit off-topic, but for those of you who have been to Reef Divers, do they have DIN tanks available? Most resorts have valves that have a screw-out plug to convert to DIN. If Reef Divers has those, then I can leave my adapter at home and save a few pounds in my baggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom