Reef Divers requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyboy08

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Reef Divers Cayman Brac.

I do not see any verbiage on their site requiring divers to take a refreshers course if they haven’t dove in a predescribed amount of time....say no dives in the preceding 12 months?

They do say refresher courses are available if one feels rusty?

Anyone know of their actual policy regarding this?

TIA,

Reef Divers Cayman Brac.

I do not see any verbiage on their site requiring divers to take a refreshers course if they haven’t dove in a predescribed amount of time....say no dives in the preceding 12 months?

They do say refresher courses are available if one feels rusty?

Anyone know of their actual policy regarding this?

TIA,

The RD waiver does ask about the total number of dives done and the last time you went diving but it has never been a problem if it has been a year since our last dive - especially if we have dived with RD before. They do offer refresher courses and will provide a private guide if desired, but I don't think that you will have any problems. Personally, I would not ask them in advance. I would just bring my C-card and dive log (if available) and answer the questions on the waiver and see what happens. I think you will be fine, you were at LCBR last year, right? So mention that with the last date of diving.

The RD waiver dooes ask about the total number of dives done and the last time you went diving but it has never been a problem if it has been a year since our last dive - especially if we have dived with RD before. They do offer refresher courses and will provide a private guide if desired, but I don't think that you will have any problems. Personally, I would not ask them in advance. I would just bring my C-card and dive log (if available) and answer the questions on the waiver and see what happens. I think it will be fine.

Thanks...I’m current with about 15 dives in the last 12 months (72 last few years), but some in our group haven’t dove in 6 years :eek:...that concerns me, but I’m not the Dive police either....so I agree just let the chips fall wherever. I was just concerned it could cause issue on the First Dive for some?

Yes, we were in LCB a year ago August and Coz last Dec and this past September.

Thanks...I’m current with about 15 dives in the last 12 months (72 last few years), but some in our group haven’t dove in 6 years :eek:...that concerns me, but I’m not the Dive police either....so I agree just let the chips fall wherever. I was just concerned it could cause issue on the First Dive for some?

Yes, we were in LCB a year ago August and Coz last Dec and this past September.

Six years is a long time so they may require a refresher or guide for the first dives, I don't know if it's required, but it would probably be a good idea anyway.

Any chance that they could spend a couple of days on GC before they head over to Brac?

We usually like to do a couple of shore dives on GC before traveling over to Brac or Little; mostly to check out our equipment and brush up on our skills before doing a deeper boat dive on the wall. Maybe they could do a refresher course on GC?

It would probably be a good idea to arrange a brief refresher course. And/or you could arrange a check out dive. I think virtually all of the dive masters are certified instructors.

Most of the Cayman Dive Ops follow the recommendations of the Cayman Islands Tourism Association, so if CITA recommends a refresher course then it will probably be required by most of the Cayman dive ops including RD.

I couldn't find anything specific for Reef Divers and Brac, but I did find the information below for Red Sail Tortuga Divers and I would guess that the other dive ops will have similar requirements - and their insurance policies may require a refresher course.

Refresher Course Policy (Red Sail Tortuga)

Last dive was over 1 year ago, Refresher Course recommended. Last dive was 2-6 years ago, a Tortuga Divers Refresher Course required. Last dive was 7-9 years ago, Full PADI Refresher Course required. Last dive was over 10 years ago, please contact dive shop for assessment prior to booking your dives. Tortuga Divers always recommend that guests start with a shallow dive, and for those who have completed a pool refresher a shallow first dive will be mandatory.

I can’t force my fellow divers to fess up to their last dives, I can only make sure I don’t dive with or near them. My close group of 6 are current. The other 19 are questionable as far as I know and I don’t want to be or look like the dive police either. In need, I’ll be there. That’s the best I can do.

6 years? I would say that it really shouldn't matter what a specific dive op's policy is - I would insist that they get a refresher for their own safety and so that their buddies and people around them can enjoy their dives without being concerned about them making a potentially fatal mistake, but that may be just me...

I can’t force my fellow divers to fess up to their last dives, I can only make sure I don’t dive with or near them. My close group of 6 are current. The other 19 are questionable as far as I know and I don’t want to be or look like the dive police either. In need, I’ll be there. That’s the best I can do.

Sounds like a good plan, but if you are booked into the resort as part of a group they may assign you all to the same boat and they might require shallow dives for the first dives if there are some in the group with long dates since the last dive - I don't know, just a guess.

But RD doesn't require you to stay with the divemaster, so you and your friends could go and do your own dive without worrying about the rest of the group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom