Reef Divers requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking from a dive professional's perspective, with six years I would certainly inform the shop. I'm not aware of their exact policies or the experience of the divers involved but I'd assume a refresher of some sort be required.

It is better to be open and upfront about so the dive shop concerned can plan for it in advance, instead of being confronted with upon checking in. Trying to hide it or tell a white lie about it "I'm a bit rusty" will have several effects.
1) You will end up on all the staff's back of their mind list of divers that can't be trusted in the group (as you withheld information and demonstrated bad judgement), and you will be kept on a short leash for all your trip.
2) upon checking in the staff might note date of your last dive, decide you can't join the regular boat and that you need a refresher first. That requires time and a staff member that may not be available. Now your and the shop's dive schedule has to be re-arranged on short notice, divers might be denied trips, and these things usually make neither guests or staff happy.
3) If these divers are allowed on the dive without refresher there is a good chance they might not be comfortable or unsafe in the water. That is a risk to the divers themselves. But also the dive guide, who is there in a position to guide and show the whole group the marine life, is now suddenly fully occupied with helping these out of practice divers during their dive. That means the rest of the group will have a lesser experience, which makes neither the divers or staff happy.
4) It is just not safe. I always ask people... would you skydive out of a flying plane if you haven't done it several years? You'd probably ask somebody to run you trough the main safety aspects and equipment handling again. So why not for diving?

So in my view it is quite inconsiderate to not be forthcoming in this to the dive shop. Our role as dive staff is to help everybody have a safe and enjoyable dive and vacation experience. We are always happy to work with every diver's requirements and wishes to make things it happen. That can only work if the divers are open and honest in wishes and any limitations. Withholding information will not help us to give you a better experience.

I agree 100%. And it's ironic that these divers are all part of a skydiving community mostly.

I agree 100%. And it's ironic that these divers are all part of a skydiving community mostly.

I know that it is getting close to the date of your trip, but perhaps they could still do a refresher course in a pool with a local dive shop and bring the paperwork with them to do a checkout dive when they get to Brac?

I know that it is getting close to the date of your trip, but perhaps they could still do a refresher course in a pool with a local dive shop and bring the paperwork with them to do a checkout dive when they get to Brac?
I've suggested such...some are..some wont.

Apologies if I sounded a bit harsh... but this is something I see so often. People try to 'sneak by' by not being forthcoming, and in my experience in 99% of cases it backfires and gives the divers concerned, fellow divers, and staff a much lesser experience filled with unsafe situations, less enjoyable dives, and increased irritation between all involved.
It just doesn't work, and I always find it such a waste of what could have been an awesome dive trip.

I totally agree with Menno. And believe me the truth usually comes out. Whether it is during conversation on the surface interval or watching people clueless and unfamiliar with gear, deco time etc. I also agree that once you get caught in a lie it will shadow you. There will be zero trust. While I can’t speak for other ops, I am not aware of any influence from CITA on refreshers. We pretty much go by dive agencies such as PADI’s guidelines. For me personally I wouldn’t want to be stuck paying for guided dives and have the DM stuck doing basic skill refresher work on the line wasting everyone else bottom time. We see it happen all the time. There is some discretion if you have someone with six years out but many dives behind them. Boy it’s sad we don’t use log books anymore.

Apologies if I sound a bit harsh... but this is something I see so often. People try to 'sneak by' by not being forthcoming, and in my experience in 99% of cases it backfires and gives the divers concerned, fellow divers, and staff a much lesser experience filled with unsafe situations, less enjoyable dive experiences, and increased irritation between all involved.
It just doesn't work, and I always find it such a waste of what could have been an awesome dive trip.

Not harsh at all and I agree! One of the things that I like about CBBR is that most of the people that go there are experienced divers. It's not the kind of place that usually attracts newbies or "occasional divers" and that is nice!

Reef Divers Cayman Brac.

I do not see any verbiage on their site requiring divers to take a refreshers course if they haven’t dove in a predescribed amount of time....say no dives in the preceding 12 months?

They do say refresher courses are available if one feels rusty?

Anyone know of their actual policy regarding this?

TIA,

I just posted a chat question on the CCBR facebook page. All I asked was a general question about someone that hadn't been diving in about 6 years, and I wondered if a refresher course would be required?

Here is the response:

"We would highly recommend a refresher especially if he didn’t have hundreds of dives before the 6-year break. We can often do this on the guest’s first full day at the resort but he should inquire and book it with his reservation to ensure we have an instructor available!"

So not mandatory? That’s strikes me as odd.

Sounds like they treat folks like adults. I've always liked that about that "family" of resorts. I've also seen them shut down "knuckleheads." I like that too. I've always enjoyed diving with RD. Headed back to LC this summer. :)

Back
Top Bottom