Redesigning AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drop out rates are very high.

Typically here in the club we'll take on 6-8 trainees and roughly 2 will eventually complete training and qualify.

By far the biggest thing that makes people drop out is the cost. Most have absolutely no idea how gear intensive the hobby is and when they find out they realise they can't afford or justify it and so stop training or never continue diving.

I do'nt know, I read the entire paper and if you ignore the BS jargon it is kind of interesting. But ... not the point I'm interested in here, which is just how pervasive the dropout rate is as demonstrated by how widespread the commentary on it is, and how no one feels a need to reference it.

The papers on the gender gap in hard science manage to convince some very educated senators, too.

As for the drop out rate, PADI won't talk about it publicly, but in member forums, there have been pesentations that tossed out a 90% dropout rate. Of course that's based on PADI's awareness of the subjects' diving, which is largely based on continuuing ed statistics. I think the problem is that PADI has looked for growth in THEIR business, which is intake of new divers at the front end (most of their income comes from OW and below materials and credentials) and that's coming at the expense of the rest of the industry, because they depend on continued diving by existing divers. The way to grow the front end intake is to expand that market into population segments who won't dive long term, but will invest a few months of their lives in it just for the "been there, done that" cachet value, and then they'll be off to add bungee jumping, or street luging, or whatever else Reality TV has added to the "must do" list. These people will NEVER become long term divers; because they lack any attention span, ability to make long term commitments, or sense of the value of deferred gratification, but they spend money like there's no tomorrow, and there are a bajillion of them who haven't ridden the scuba-go-round yet. A certification agency can rake in great profits for at least 20 years on this market, just churning them out through the cert mill, and if, after one trip to Club Med and a round of elephant diving (just wrap your trunk around the tail in front of you and everything will be fine) they never dive again, so what. The cert agency doesn't make anything off people just going diving. Sooner or later, the rest of the industry needs to figure out that the cert agency's economic interests are not the same as theirs, and may at times even be in conflict. Regarding the question above about non-profits, the NON-ECONOMIC interests of a non-profit cert agency are much more aligned with the economic interests of the rest of the industry.

The papers on the gender gap in hard science manage to convince some very educated senators, too.

As for the drop out rate, PADI won't talk about it publicly, but in member forums, there have been pesentations that tossed out a 90% dropout rate. Of course that's based on PADI's awareness of the subjects' diving, which is largely based on continuuing ed statistics. I think the problem is that PADI has looked for growth in THEIR business, which is intake of new divers at the front end (most of their income comes from OW and below materials and credentials) and that's coming at the expense of the rest of the industry, because they depend on continued diving by existing divers. The way to grow the front end intake is to expand that market into population segments who won't dive long term, but will invest a few months of their lives in it just for the "been there, done that" cachet value, and then they'll be off to add bungee jumping, or street luging, or whatever else Reality TV has added to the "must do" list. These people will NEVER become long term divers; because they lack any attention span, ability to make long term commitments, or sense of the value of deferred gratification, but they spend money like there's no tomorrow, and there are a bajillion of them who haven't ridden the scuba-go-round yet. A certification agency can rake in great profits for at least 20 years on this market, just churning them out through the cert mill, and if, after one trip to Club Med and a round of elephant diving (just wrap your trunk around the tail in front of you and everything will be fine) they never dive again, so what. The cert agency doesn't make anything off people just going diving. Sooner or later, the rest of the industry needs to figure out that the cert agency's economic interests are not the same as theirs, and may at times even be in conflict. Regarding the question above about non-profits, the NON-ECONOMIC interests of a non-profit cert agency are much more aligned with the economic interests of the rest of the industry.

Hi guys. Been off the thread for awhile, like to get back in. First I would like to apologise to Thalassa about my final remark. It's just that those of us who teach with PADI ARE BORED BY SO MUCH padibashing. So if I was rude, I'm sorry.

The drpout thing is something that I have looked at very carefully over the years. The sex discrimination thing too.

On dropouts. Effectively a lot of people start activities and don't continue. A lot of couples start diving before they get married on on their honeymoon and then time, costs, children and a host of other things get int the way. There is a whole other group of people who have "bad" experiences that don't get sorted by the centers and don't come back.

The "official"statistic that I manage is that 50% of people who do OWD or similar with another agency WILL NEVER DIVE AGAIN. Apparently a lot of this is because in couples one of the members persuaded the other to do the course but there was no interest in going on.

I can't talk about other centers, but most of the ones I have worked for tend to concentrate on building a core client basis and rappor with X number of divers who will come back and each DCO and center has their strategy.

I know one guy who is very successful and making a lot of money and the center working flat out 365 days a year. Apart from the fact he is in an ideal location he basically is not interested in front end students and often sends them down the street to other centers. He focuses the business on giving quality service to qulaity divers and ealises that if he mixes junior divers in, the better divers won't come back. He sells a lot of equipment (people upgrading from something they had as an OWD) and mainly sells tech courses to people who want to go one step beyond.

However, I also happen to have worked for MR.OWD INSTRUCTOR, agreat guy who really takes OWD training seriously because as he says, his NAME is on those cert cards, so he wants to turn out the best OWDs in the country and his standards are high. He has disagreements on a number of occasions with people doing OWD and AOWD because he has said that he will not certify them and they have to do more dives to get certified.

Personally, I try to get anybody on my watch to build towards and do Rescue, not because of the money but because I believe in it.

As far as sexual discrimination, many women discriminate against themselves. As a skydiver as well, I can say that most of the time there is an 80/20 ratio between young men and women in both SCUBA and skydiving. Men are simply more attracted to these kind of activities. There are well studied antropological reasons for this, amongst which is that men have a different attitude to risk than women. How many women race drivers or superbike racers are there?

Threre is a percentage of women who are interested in diving and go on. Actually I happen to have a buddy who is doing IDC right now: she was attached to Special Forces in the Army.... I get a lot of nice female students but I think they get turned off from all of us guys wanting to crry their kit and beoing too protective....:crafty:

Bob,
well put.

And I did read your earlier post before I made my comments.
I was just attempting to redirect the conversation back to its origins. :wink:

....Sooner or later, the rest of the industry needs to figure out that the cert agency's economic interests are not the same as theirs, and may at times even be in conflict....
Yes, well when at least one of the agencies really pushes the continuing education route (read: get more c-cards), then the focus is clear. I know that my LDS has a low margin on running their courses unless they are full consistently.

I have not taken what I would call a "certification" course in a few years. I have taken a number of not in the water diving related courses that result in a qualification (from DAN and PSI for example). I have also taken training that I truly did not care whatsoever if it led to yet another certification card. On our last visit to Bonaire I spent a few $$ in sessions called Dive with the Naturalist learning about the marine life and habits - no C-card given, no C-card wanted. I have also taken some training from underwater photographers, one of which offered the opportunity to get the C-card, but I was not interested.

As for redesigning an AOW course, I do believe that it does not have to be related to any specialty, but rather a progressive approach to learning additional skills and improving upon those that should have been learned in the OW course. The way it is viewed from an SCUBA certificaton agency perspective is more marketing than any other consideration IMO.

I am way too lazy to read this entire thread, so here is what we do for AOW.......

We will take people fresh out of Scuba Diver/Open Water (we teach NAUI, so Scuba Diver is Open Water) but of course, we know they will generally require more dives than minimum. Our curriculum includes AOW, Deep Specialty and Nitrox. A day of screening dives, followed by an apprenticeship style course that lasts until we instructors feel they deserve (have earned) their certifications. So long as the agencies continue to call in "advanced" we will do our best to make it "advanced" and not intermediate.

For what it's worth, we charge $440 per head for instructor time and books. Students are responsible for everything else (charter fees, gear, transportation etc.)

I can't believe this is still going! For one, do we really think it will do a HILL OF BEANS anyway?:confused: For two, figured that someone with let's say 25-100 dives would have had it all figured out by now.:rofl3: Oh, by the way, it was GREAT being able too put faces too some of the members here on the board at the expo last weekend! Sorry that I couldn't get time too get in a dive with you Bob, but that just makes another excuse too get back up and get a dive or two in when things aren't so hectic.

Joe

I'll look forward to it, Joe ... was nice to meet you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Many moons ago, my instructor told me what I needed for my AOW: Deep, Night, S & R, Nav. and PPB. I still think they are the best choices for divers at this stage of their training.

Back
Top Bottom