Redesigning AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No you do a "deep" dive and a "puzzle" then you're done :shakehead:
Whoopty do..........

Okay... How is that different then what I said?

I'm sorry......I assumed you were thinking dropping down and doing a puzzle was teaching someone to deep dive. Didn't realize we were thinking along the same lines.
My bad.

That's true. PADI seems more worried about the affects of nitrogen narcosis than anything related to dive planning or emergency procedures at depth. The funny thing is, most people aren't going to feel the affects of narcosis at 60ft unless it's carbon dioxide related. If it's carbon dioxide related then the person isn't comfortable with the dive in the first place (assuming that the gear is functioning properly), which I would contribute to lack of proper training. Kinda ironic, is it not?

My favorite topic. LOL, diving "deep" before you're any good shallow.

Narcosis at 60 ft, is rich. Granted, we start to get "narced" the moment we leave the surface (and I was tempted at one time to have my son breath trimix when he took tests in school) but...even most of us who don't care to dive "deep air" are generally off helium by 70 ft or so (realizing that the current trewn is to put a squirt of helium in every bottle except the 100% O2).

This measuring narcosis with a combination lock at 60 ft must be one of the top ten jokes on the face of the planet. Most students are faster at 60 ft than they were at the surface because it's their second time with the lock. LOL talk about BAD science and an experiment/demonstration that's messed up by goofy procedures. LOL

Yes, it was my understanding of the current system and that system makes sense if you want to earn money on diving in a convinient way. It doesn't really care about the divers though.

Your course dont fit into the current system and I guess you would have to work a lot if some not very talented OW divers want to take your course. I still belive it is a good course.
Ah ... OK. I get it.

Thing is, I don't really see dive instruction as work ... to me it's just another excuse to go diving. As long as the students are working at it, and making progress, I get a lot of satisfaction out of diving with 'em. My current AOW class has been ongoing since October. We'll probably finish up by year's end.

FWIW - for the deep dive, we typically go to about 100 fsw. I give them a dive plan. They figure out how much gas they need, based on previous measurements, then conduct the dive following the plan. I make it clear that it's their dive ... I'm not leading it, I'm there for evaluation purposes. At some point during the dive, I "go OOG" ... their "narcosis test" is to see how long it takes them to notice my signal and respond. They also must stick to the plan, ascend up a buoy-line (no hanging on allowed), and make the appropriate safety stops.

After the dive, they calculate their actual gas consumption and compare it to what they predicted.

I've been asked by a few instructors what's the value of doing the gas calculations before and after. The simple answer is that it isn't necessary for me to tell the students why they shouldn't be going out and doing deep dives on AL80's ... once they have to work through the numbers, they can draw their own conclusions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A freind here on the island is just fascinated of all of my dive gear. I let him borrow a full set of gear, He got certified in warm water somewhere. He dove with his freinds, mexico trips. He would drop off peices of gear when he bought his own.
After two years of wanting to dive with me, I took him out on a wall dive to go spear fishing. We decended together I never seen him after that, but I DID SEE HIS TRAIL.

He was just amazed how much longer I stayed down tham him, he dove a al80 I a al50.
That was 2 years ago, I take him diving 2 times a year. We decend together, Then we go on the hunt. His buddys says jeff is a great diver his air and boyuancy skills are wonderful.
I explain a few things on the way to the dive spot and a few after. His buddys think I taught him how to dive, dive deep, hunt,boatdive, current dive. HE is the one that taught Himself, Not me, I only want to dive with my wife, Or solo" with a few exceptions.

If you dont dive every day, It takes years. And Once you got it, you got it. But once abscence from diving for awhile you need to brush up on the basics of diving, Im guessing on that part cause I DIVE EVERY DAY or I dont eat. I cant live on expensive single malt scotch alone.
Gotta go my slack will be arriving soon, doing a wreck dive today.

I've been asked by a few instructors what's the value of doing the gas calculations before and after. The simple answer is that it isn't necessary for me to tell the students why they shouldn't be going out and doing deep dives on AL80's ... once they have to work through the numbers, they can draw their own conclusions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

They ask that? That should tell us something.

They ask that? That should tell us something.
Most dive instructors I know think gas management involves looking at your gauge every five minutes and aborting the dive at 500 psi. They honestly don't see any value in putting more effort into it than that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Most dive instructors I know think gas management involves looking at your gauge every five minutes and aborting the dive at 500 psi. They honestly don't see any value in putting more effort into it than that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

At the risk of going for seven years (LOL), Why do you suppose that is?

At the risk of going for seven years (LOL), Why do you suppose that is?
Simply put, none of their diving depends on them doing anything else. If that's what they do, and it hasn't bitten them after however many dives they have been on, they don't see the need for anything more. They might change it up based on a couple situations they have found it useful in real life, but that is reactionary more than deterministic. For the most part, planning a dive to end at a specified PSI will work on most recreational dives.

Simply put, none of their diving depends on them doing anything else. If that's what they do, and it hasn't bitten them after however many dives they have been on, they don't see the need for anything more. They might change it up based on a couple situations they have found it useful in real life, but that is reactionary more than deterministic. For the most part, planning a dive to end at a specified PSI will work on most recreational dives.

It will work until/unless something goes wrong at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom