Red tinted masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
The SeaView red masks are supposed to help replace colors lost in the water, and I obviously bought into it. I have to wear bifocals anyway, so got one of these and a yellow tinted mask for deep & night dives so that I can always have two - one on my head, one in my BC pocket.

Do you think these really work?

I've notice other companies put out similar masks. Are they all the same.

Nah, I don't believe in polls. Never can offer all of the needed choices. :wink:

How do those work on your forehead?

howarde:
How do those work on your forehead?
Well - always ready there. :D Have to removed the glasses, tho.

as long as you're not in distress.

Most of the masks that I've seen are more of a pink or yellow.

Also, on a night dive, you typically bring the light with you, so you don't have to worry so much about the water filtering out the red light. Most objects that you could light up would be close enough that you wouldn't notice the lack of red.

Keep in mind that I've never worn any color-correcting masks before. Mine have always been clear.

SO? have you used them yet? How well do they work? I'm getting real interested.

Well... if you want my serious answer - while I haven't used the colored lenses for my mask, I use them for video. I use the pinkish filter for daytime, but I use no filter @ night, and the lights seem to do justice to the colors.

Uh...Don...are you wearing your scuba gear...in your house? :D

havoc_murtha:
SO? have you used them yet? How well do they work? I'm getting real interested.
This is what got me to try the pinks - comments like this from my Amarillo dive shop owner...
... I use them for video. I use the pinkish filter for daytime...
But I've worn mine so long I don't have any clear mask memories for comparison.

I think I had the camera backwards here...

DandyDon:
This is what got me to try the pinks - comments like this from my Amarillo dive shop owner...

But I've worn mine so long I don't have any clear mask memories for comparison.
Light and the way we perceive it is a funny thing- I think that the human brain will figure things out and adjust to any filters- whites will eventually appear white, even when you are wearing rosy colored glasses. Did you notice that if you wear them for a while and then take them off, everything will look green for a while?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom