Red tinted masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the yellow when going deep, at night, or in poor viz - the red shallow in good, daylight viz.

Both look cool on my forehead for the final checks... :wink:

Not too sure about the yellow thing. I know shooting and driving glasses work.

As for the red, it has to do with light wave length. Red is the first color absorbed by water.

the K

I have the red SeaVision mask and I used it extensively for years. Even notice that on a sunny day the reef looks happy until a cloud blocks the sun? With the red mask the reef looks colorful in all lighting conditions. I had to abandon the mask, however, when I started shooting UW video. Trying to see the monitor with red lenses is almost impossible.

Scubadore:
Trying to see the monitor with red lenses is almost impossible.

Yep, that is a booger, ain't it ? ! ? ! ?

the K

I just got a underwater video, and I haven't used it yet.

Is this always the case? Should I not even try to use the video with my red lenses?

I guess I can wear the mask around the house this evening and take a look at the camera's monitor.

:eek:fftopic:

A good dive buddy of mine, KPReid, uses a magenta filter on his video housing. The video he did on the Oriskany was excellent.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program . . .

The magenta lenses are great for funsie dives above 60'.

the K

The Kraken:
Not too sure about the yellow thing. I know shooting and driving glasses work.

As for the red, it has to do with light wave length. Red is the first color absorbed by water.

the K

Yeah I half-understand the red thing, but, yellow? Light is pretty magical isn't it?

I'm looking into the Atomic ARC Technology, same thing , they call it a " coating"

What do you think?

I use a low profile scubapro mask now, and love it, but lens are clear

Scubadore:
I have the red SeaVision mask and I used it extensively for years. Even notice that on a sunny day the reef looks happy until a cloud blocks the sun? With the red mask the reef looks colorful in all lighting conditions. I had to abandon the mask, however, when I started shooting UW video. Trying to see the monitor with red lenses is almost impossible.

Tried the sea vision magenta and was not that impressed. Seemed like a gimmick to me. With variable visibility in Alaska, I would have to buy and bring along the Red, yellow and clear masks. It made looking at my LCD of my camera quite difficult.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom