Recycling old tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know a place in the bay area to recycle an old aluminum tank? Got one of the old Luxer's for free @ a garage sale and was hoping to do something with the tank. Don't feel right putting it on CL for someone to buy...

Any place that takes beer cans will take it, I'm sure there are some lovely scrapyards in seedier parts of Oakland. Drill a hole through the shoulder so it's scrap before you take it there. Otherwise, cut the bottom off, hang a 1 1/4" wrench by a hunk of wire through the neck and have a lovely windchime.

Just look up your local "Recycler". Let us know what the recycle value of the tank is please, as I am curious.

Gave mine, valve removed, to a gun toting friend to use for target practice.
04.gif

Sorry, saw this on Facebook this afternoon

TankHibatch.jpg

I like that, although from the wall thickness it appears to be a steel tank and from the numbers it looks to be european.

Galvanized tanks and fire could leave someone sick or dead, as the gasses can be poisonous. Otherwise interesting idea.

Peter- are you referring to steel tanks being galvanized or are alum tanks?Regardless I've thought about making it into a cold smoker but thats a lot of effort...Will probably recycle next week when I get around to it (sans valve). Thanks for the input everyone.

---------- Post Merged at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Peter- are you referring to steel tanks being galvanized or are alum tanks?Regardless I've thought about making it into a cold smoker but thats a lot of effort...Will probably recycle next week when I get around to it (sans valve). Thanks for the input everyone.

Sorry, saw this on Facebook this afternoon

TankHibatch.jpg

Isn't that what old refrigerators (in your front yard) are for?

couple of years back the local going rate was $30 for an aluminum 80 at the recycling place

phishphood, the galvanized tanks are steel tanks not the aluminum.

Back
Top Bottom