Recreational rebreathers - what is holding them back?

What is keeping rebreathers from becoming recreational?

• Cost - they're too damned expensive!

Votes: 67 69.8%
  • Ease of use - there's too many new fangled things to maintain!

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Other - (ie - they're voodoo tools of the devil!)

Votes: 16 16.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7:
Yeah, gotta be carefull with both of them in the same room.
Make sure to keep the PRISM away from the little Kiss when the scrubber is in heat after a dive.
They are Perverted Randy Indiscriminate Sex Machines that'll bang that little box so hard it'll be dented. :11:

Stefan,
You have such large lungs! :wink:
HEHEHEHEHE

[/QUOTE]that'll bang that little box so hard it'll be dented [/QUOTE]
Bawwwwww!!!

These guys say on their website

http://www.jetsam.ca/

If you have arrived at this web site wondering what a closed circuit rebreather (CCR) is, then go to the links page and spend some time reading. Others have explained the basics of CCR much better than I can. Pay particular attention to the hazards of rebreather diving mentioned in these explanations. CCR's have claimed the lives of brilliant Nobel prize winners, experienced scientific divers, and rebreather instructors. No one is immune to the risk. You can live for a few weeks without food, a few days without water, but only a few minutes without oxygen. A CCR can kill you in a matter of minutes and only you can prevent it from killing you. People have died while using the most sophisticated rebreathers in existence which have multiple computers, warning lights, audible alarms, etc. Hundreds more people have died using the simplest rebreather in existence, a plastic bag tied over their head. It is more difficult to kill yourself with the plastic bag.

and these guys are trying to sell them.

Excuse me if I seem a bit leery of rebreathers.

wedivebc:
I for one would sure like to hear YOUR impressions of the 2 units based on your try dive.

From an engineering standpoint - both were very well engineered. I'm a technical guy, I love electronics, and all sorts of gizmos and doodads. But - when it came to the rig, I really did like the KISS better.

The Meg was really a great reg, but I loved the ability to just put the unit on, and not have to configure anything (ie, setpoint, computer settings, etc). Plus, the KISS was more compact, and streamlined (ie counterlungs were in the back unit, not on the front harnesses). That also helped with bouyancy as well - I had a more difficult time with the megs bouyancy due to the position of the counterlungs.

DennisS:
It wasn't a rubbish post, the original post was, why were rebreathers not in the rec diving mainstream. There is a lot of misinformation. I made it clear I knew nothing about rebreathers. I posted some of my misgivings.

Recently an instructor died in a pool here in the states. How did that instructor die, using a rebreather, in a pool, in 4 ft of water. There are questions about the safety of rebreathers.

MY post was rubbish? How so? I don't quite understand how a post that is a poll asking why rebreathers haven't gone mainstream yet is rubbish?

jepuskar:
Easy Brue, I think Dennis is defending himself...has nothing to do with your exceptionally well worded topic. :)

No prob - just don't understand I guess :)

Anyhow, my thoughts are that you will die sometime. If you scuba dive, you increase those odds of dying. If you use a RB, you increase your odds of dying.

Heck, if you get out of bed you will increase your odds of dying - maybe getting hit by a car.

Remember all of the folks who died (or got seriously hurt) trying to establish something called "Navy Dive Tables"? You can't progress without learning from your mistakes.

To say that RB are killers, and that they are voodoo is naive - sort of reminds me of those Microsoft ads you see with the talking dinosaur heads - its time to upgrade to office 2003 (heh, and its already 2005!)

DennisS:
Excuse me if I seem a bit leery of rebreathers.
Dennis, no one has a problem with being leery of rebreathers.
If you have questions regarding them or their safety, ask. Chances are you'll get an answer or reading recommendation. But making as statement like the 'couch killer'. somewhere between not knowing much about the subject and not showing any intrest to change that, won't get you taken seriously. Of course you'll catch some heat. This is the rebreather forum, after all. Same as I posting in the DIR forum that you'll get entangled and stragulated by a long hose, in the photo/video forum that all shooters destroy reefs or in the cave forum that caves will try to kill you.

Be leery, be vigilant. Rebreathers don't kill divers, complacency does.

And more often than not dumb arse mistakes. But don't think for a second that on OC many of same dumb arse mistake couldn't occur or wouldn't kill you!

As for Jetsam's warning, read it. Understand it. Take it seriously. But remember what I said about OC diving. Two OC divers made their last dives on the Yukon wreck in San Diego, one of the most popular dive sites there. One was an experienced marine scientist. The other one a dive instructor. As for the nobel prize winner, he didn't have oxygen hooked up to his loop. With all due respect, that's as dumb as a mistake gets.

If you analyze accident data available you will probably be surprised.

bruehlt:
Interesting replies....

But for the rest of us, the folks who dive frequently throughout the year, but are not avid tech divers (no insult to most of you, but most divers aren't technical in nature) - would benefit tremendously from a recreational rebreather. It gets even BETTER when you get into tech diving (ie eliminating stage bottles, doubles, etc).

Assuming cost is not object, how would rec divers benefit *tremendously*?

I think it will generate a lot of benefit.

As caveseeker7 may remember, I plan to move to RB world as soon as I get trained.
Because

1. Rec. diver is more likely to be free from the ordinary resort place and shop because RB provides the more bottom time without a frequent tank switch.
2. Rec. diver is more likely to go anywhere with a less weight equipment. It means a lot to me because if you have a chance to dive in the remote area where the scuba industry is not developed yet. It is a huge factor no matter what you are a rec diver or tech diver.
3. Rec. diver is less likely to concern DCS thanks to the nature of RB. Even though they hit NDL, they can manage the deco procedure without any additional tank.

As you mentioned, these are without concerning the cost factor in rec diving area.

Just my 2 cents....

RonFrank:
Assuming cost is not object, how would rec divers benefit *tremendously*?

The problem is that the rebreather is really not safe or usefull for the casual diver.

Most divers don't do enough dives in a year to do the training (initial and ongoing) to be safe on a RB.
Many rec divers are kept out of trouble more often by having limited gas that are put in trouble. If more casual divers had the ability to stay a long time at just about any depth they dive then we would see a sharp spike in DCS. Again, outside of tech divers, how many people do you know who are really up on staged decompression?

On top of that they are much more expensive to buy, maintain and use than simple scuba for rec dives.
Once you get into deep, long technical dives the ballance changes due to the gas savings but that is TECH not rec diving.

Even with a RB you still need enough bailout gas to get to the surface safely (including deco) in the case of a total failure of the RB, unless taking big chances is part of your diving fun.

The RB is a great tool but will never be a good choice for the 'strap on a tank and go look at some pretty fish' diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom