Recreational Pony Bottles, completely unnecessary? Why or why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would an air supply that’s in use ( buddies air supply) be less reliable than one not in use. (Pony )
Because there is a good chance that it is not immediately available. What percentage of buddies do you think stay within a few feet of each other and are aware of them every second.

Years ago, when I went diving with Ed Robinson's in Maui, it was group diving. There was one DM that we followed though we spread over a large area as we drifted the backwall of Molokini. When we ran low on air, we headed back to the boat individually. As I was by myself, I wasn't paired with anyone. Single divers didn't pair up, but did their own thing underwater.

I traveled with a pony.

How people dive varies dramatically all over the world.

In no way, shape, or form am I stating or even implying that people all over the world like Ed Robinson's ran his operation in Maui. It is just one example.

So in this scenario, a pony was necessary for me. I've read one person's statements that he have no problem diving to 180 feet on air on an AL80, and if he ran out, he was confident to be able to CESA from that depth. Now he would say likely that pony bottles are unnecessary (my guess, I do not speak for him). Does he speak for me and say a pony bottle is unnecessary for me? For everyone?

As that is what I see the OP trying to do here.

If you want to dive with a pony during recreational dives, go ahead.

If you do not want to dive with a pony during recreational dives, also go ahead.

I don't care either way. No one should (but they do).

No more so than if they still depend on me for air, as I am a fairly responsible person and responsibility and awareness of my buddy was ingrained into me early on, with arm or double arms length from your buddy at all times if you or they are wearing a tank.

Now, if people were crummy selfish buddies to begin with who sometimes managed to stay close together but only out of fear, then you may have a point.
The entire buddy system is built on mutual dependency.

The entire buddy system is built on mutual dependency.
Then why do we let students clear their own masks? Would they not be safer if they needed their buddy to clear it for them?

Why does Fundies team diving teach valve drills? Wouldn't they be safer if they needed their buddy to do that?

Because there is a good chance that it is not immediately available. What percentage of buddies do you think stay within a few feet of each other and are aware of them every second.
I don’t know, I trained commercially with a standby and bailout. I could count on one hand buddy dives. Only dive solo now. Do you buddy dive with people who are not carrying a pony?

Then why do we let students clear their own masks? Would they not be safer if they needed their buddy to clear it for them?

Why does Fundies team diving teach valve drills? Wouldn't they be safer if they need their buddy to do that?
I was talking about a mutual need to share each other’s air.

I was talking about a mutual need to each share each other’s air.
I realize that. But if dependency for air is good, why not ensure dependency for other things as well?

I was talking about a mutual need to each share each other’s air.
A need that can be eliminated by using a redundant air source whatever type they choose.

Back
Top Bottom