Recreational Pony Bottles, completely unnecessary? Why or why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem is that others on the thread have declared that people who dive with a pony obviously don't know how to gas plan or fail to look at their spg and are generally lousy divers that should not be in the water. That is what got this whole debacle started

It is a bad assumption to think that just because a recreational diver brings a pony they cannot do gas planning or manage to check their gauges or dive computer on a dive. What about recreational divers who dive sidemount? Are they also lousy divers?

What I do before taking photos or a video is check my NDL and air. I allow myself a few minutes to get a video or photo as unlike frankie four fingers I am not in a rush, even at depth. Even on deeper dives to 40m with dive buddies none of them have every brought a pony unless they were first solo divers who invited me to join them on a dive. Single tanks to 40m for recreational diving with no pony is normal. Should one argue that it would be wiser to have a pony for dives to 40m that is another discussion. Not many recreational divers want to dive that deep but will go to 30m and not want to dive deeper. It's still recreational diving even to 40m

For one member who thinks 120 feet is a technical dive this is still a recreational dive. Yes time to NDL at depth is limited so plan that part of the dive carefully and avoid going into deco... wouldn't want people to get upset you went into deco at 40m depth on a single tank :)

There have been plenty posted in the thread throughout the 37 pages and counting. I don't personally use a pony, I am moving towards sm for redundancy, but that is a different animal all together, and is part of a gas plan, not just for emergencies. I have many buddies that will use a pony on every dive unless they are using doubles. These are all divemasters and have plenty of experience. One had a boat dive in Florida before he carried a pony where one of the dive guides got busy helping some other divers in between dives, and forgot to swap out his cylinder. While this should have been found in the buddy check (if everybody did it every dive) or in the pre dive check, human beings make errors. They got down to 120' to a wreck, before he realized he was ooa. He was able to share off a buddy, but had they been separated, he would have needed to cesa from 125'. While he would probably be fine, it is much better to have a pony you can switch to and go at a standard (non-emergency) ascent rate to the surface.

Nobody here is trying to say everybody should always use a pony. There are basically 2 people in this conversation - 1. nobody should ever be allowed to us pony, or 2. people should be able to dive as they see fit. I personally plan to never use a pony, but definitely see why some would like to, and why they have a potential purpose, even if that is just to give peace of mind for some people that don't want to go full on doubles, but want some redundancy for emergency purposes.
Some bad slip ups in that post and I understand people may wish to use a pony on a shallow rec dive but why insist it’s been used for emergency purposes when there are none.

Since pony bottles are very dangerous, I am willing, for a small storage fee, to remove these items from any concerned member and store them in my dive locker, where the only risk is to me. Please ensure that you pay postage both ways ahead of time, in case you change your mind. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to be of service.

The incident from August 2016 16/151 is a fatality and the gas loss assumed to be blown o-ring. Pony did not help in this case. I would not assume it is the solution.
This incident doesn't really lend itself to any conclusions regarding pony cylinders.

This incident doesn't really lend itself to any conclusions regarding pony cylinders.
I didn't bother to reply to that post. I am sure if a driver had a pony in the trunk of his car and still had a crash he would want to blame it on the pony.

The problem is that others on the thread have declared that people who dive with a pony obviously don't know how to gas plan or fail to look at their spg and are generally lousy divers that should not be in the water. That is what got this whole debacle started

There may be divers who know how to do all that but still believe carrying a pony is less effort than diving with a conscientious buddy with proper gas planning. Those divers prefer an equipment solution. I and some others prefer a human solution. Different strokes for different folks. To me, having to deal with a pony detracts from the fun. For me, the less gear, the better the solution, i.e., the more I can enjoy the dive. The question I ask myself is what is the least amount of gear I can get away with safely for this type of dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom