Recreational Pony Bottles, completely unnecessary? Why or why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a prefect example of thread shift. The original question was "recreational" diving. Diving a wreck in 120 is a technical dive. Add to that "forgetting" to swap to a new tank AND never looking at his pressure gauge until he runs out of gas is beyond stupid and a pony bottle wont fix stupid.

It would be interesting to know the size of the cylinder he was using....just of giggles.
Since when is a dive to 120 ft. necessarily a technical dive. Maybe for your organization but for many this is a simple dive to a wreck on a large single and a pony.

Here is a prefect example of thread shift. The original question was "recreational" diving. Diving a wreck in 120 is a technical dive. Add to that "forgetting" to swap to a new tank AND never looking at his pressure gauge until he runs out of gas is beyond stupid and a pony bottle wont fix stupid.

It would be interesting to know the size of the cylinder he was using....just of giggles.
yeah but it will get you to the surface... isn't that the idea?

I just found these:

:startsarcasm: There are no clear emojis for sarcasm. :endsarcasm:
This is what I found and although nt only for sarcasm seems to fit the bill in many cases:
The upside-down face emoji, sometimes known as the upside-down smiley face, has several meanings depending on the context and personality of the user. It can indicate silliness, sarcasm, irony, passive aggression, or frustrated resignation.

So you don't plan on catastrophic gas loss? That's fine if you dive that way but no single solo/self-reliant/independent course from SDI, PADI, SSI, or IANTD teaches solo diving without redundant gas.

You may feel differently if you ever have a hose burst, first stage failure, or burst disk rupture. All unlikely events, but they do happen.

When recreational diving I have a dive buddy. Most of my dive buddies also take photos and we let one take photos as the other waits nearby. Yes I have had o rings go and a free flow reg that ended a dive. Nothing that prevented me from getting to the surface on my own. Never had a hose burst since I started diving in 1986. Things do happen. Should every recreational diver now plan each dive on a catastrophic air loss situation?

So simple to surface from 100 feet down with no gas in that scenario
I just don’t believe a regulator first stage can fail instantly, not my scubapro,s at least, so the only other reason to end up with no gas is to unwittingly use it. I’m definitely not going to do that.

When recreational diving I have a dive buddy. Most of my dive buddies also take photos and we let one take photos as the other waits nearby. Yes I have had o rings go and a free flow reg that ended a dive. Nothing that prevented me from getting to the surface on my own. Never had a hose burst since I started diving in 1986. Things do happen. Should every recreational diver now plan each dive on a catastrophic air loss situation?
Nobody on this thread is recommending everybody to use one. What I and others object to is people suggesting to those that wish to use one should not.

If you can swim to the surface you don’t need redundancy, I carry no redundancy shallow and all my dives are solo. If I thought I needed someone to save me I’d stay at home.

What would you do if you are caught in a net or line or anything that impedes your immediate access to the surface?

This is a dive I did to 34m on air. I could have used nitrox but decided not to. Dived to a small wreck at 34m depth then came up a sloping area to a reef wall. OK its 110 plus feet but even if I had gone deeper it is still a recreational dive. Nothing technical about it in my humble opinion. The dive shop for this dive only has AL 80's. At another place I dive I keep an AL 100 for my dives.

A SAC WRECK DIVE.jpg

Back
Top Bottom