Recreational Pony Bottles, completely unnecessary? Why or why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You’ve really thrown the cat into the pigeons now. So there’s recreational, commercial, scientific, military and dangerous. I think any dive at an unknown site has the potential to be dangerous. But my point is a reliable buddy in the water if conditions allow it or on the surface is a big advantage if things don’t go to plan.
As is a redundant air source attached to you.

AFAIAA BSAC doesn't approve of solo diving, being big proponents of the buddy system.
BSAC data does not magically include all dives. It is self reported by individuals or for organized group BSAC dives.

How many BSAC members do you think voluntarily report the discouraged solo dives? We may know how many ended with fatality or serious incident. But there is likely more underreporting of successful solo dives than of successful buddy dives, the type BSAC approves of.

My understanding is that BSAC does not approve of the long hose or primary donate does that mean no BSAC divers use that system. I might be out of date on that information but it was the case at one time.

As is a redundant air source attached to you.
You can have all the pony bottles you like if you can’t clear yourself in the case of an entanglement your not getting back. People are arguing that a pony addresses the problem of buddy separation, but it doesn’t.

Everything you mention here isn't recreational diving we are discussing. This is more "commercial" diving and the rules and protocols are
Are there no recreational dives to unknown sites

You can have all the pony bottles you like if you can’t clear yourself in the case of an entanglement your not getting back. People are arguing that a pony addresses the problem of buddy separation, but it doesn’t.
But it does mean that you have time for your buddy to get to you. I often dive with buddies that are not right next to me, that does not mean that we don't check on each other during the dive. No one is claiming that a pony resolves all issues, just the immediate need for gas.

No they are not. They are arguing that it adds a useful risk mitigation for gas emergencies. If you are diving in zero vis cutting submerged tree limbs free from the bottom, you have other issues beyond short term gas emergencies. And are way past new diver territory or even cold dark northern ocean diver (but not submerged tree limb cutting) territory.

A large percentage of divers are alone when they die, whether it be intentional or not. I have had 4 friends die while diving. Each of them was a very highly skilled and experienced diver, each of them started the dive with a buddy and the intention of staying with that buddy, and each of them died alone. One of them intentionally strayed from her buddy for what was intended to be about a minute or less, and the other three were forced to separate because of unusual situations. I believe all 4 would have lived had their buddies been nearby, although it is hard to say for sure because the bodies of two of them were never found.

I write fatality reports for NSS. In the case of the last one I wrote, the highly experienced diver was intentionally solo. He ran out of air and expired within 100 feet of the cave entrance.

Are there no recreational dives to unknown sites
Yes, there are recreational dives to unknown sites, but purely recreational divers should recognize and avoid situations beyond their recreational level training when they encounter them on those dives.

No they are not. They are arguing that it adds a useful risk mitigation for gas emergencies. If you are diving in zero vis cutting submerged tree limbs free from the bottom, you have other issues beyond simple short term gas emergencies. And are way past new diver territory or even cold dark ocean diver (but not tree limb cutting) territory.
I was just giving an example of how you may think you have covered every possible scenario only to find you’ve slipped up. That’s how accidents happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom