Recreational Pony Bottles, completely unnecessary? Why or why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Lorenzoid

What should recreational solo divers do? Or photographers? (Essentially are solo divers)

Isn't a pony bottle appropriate for such divers?

Now now. All covered upthread. Nothing in my previous comment is intended to suggest there are no circumstances under which someone might choose to use a pony bottle.

Now now. All covered upthread. Nothing in my previous comment is intended to suggest there are no circumstances under which someone might choose to use a pony bottle.
Fair enough. I forget all the stuff that's gone back and forth.

I hope that we can agree that people dive in different ways/configurations with 0 or more dive buddies.

The problem of poorly skilled open water divers is a whole 'nother topic that is going to have zero effect on what agencies do. The only thing that will get agencies to improve results is if they can make more money.

I think it's a good discussion, with some great points of view presented, though we should all be mindful of becoming "POV warriors." I believe where different people see the different gear configurations as optimal relative to rec, tech, gray areas between rec and tech, etc., is a useful, advanced scuba discussion.

Just because we have rarely seen something doesn't mean it isn't more common somewhere we don't dive.

I could agree. The use of twinsets for recreational SCUBA diving at a Basic Forum level or even an Advanced Forum level may be uncommonly common on Scuba Board but commonly uncommon elsewhere :wink:. Riding this fence I am getting splinters, ouch.

James

We can strive for it, though. We can throw up our hands in exasperation and adjust our diving to the way we see it happening out there--a race to the bottom?--or we can strive to improve it for ourselves and our buddies and to make good examples for new divers. And by "improve," I mean attempt to maximize both of the goals of fun and safety. It's easy to take so much gear and prepare so thoroughly for any given dive that it diminishes the fun--ask any tech diver. The question is about finding a balance.
That’s true. I’m not a proponent of extraneous equipment and the focus of recreational diving should be ….. recreational. I do believe that, for those pushing the limits of “recreational” diving, having a pony can make a difference if you strive but fall short 😁

In the end it’s all up to the individual.

There’s a lot of gear used diving that’s not necessary, and you could make up all kinds of hypothetical reasons for using gear that you don’t need. Stay shallow or close to your buddy if you feel you can’t make it to the surface. I’ve never felt comfortable depending on someone else providing me with air so I carry redundancy. When I get in my boat I remind myself “no one is going to save you “

Reactions: Kha
Is there a clearer photo of the Cressi MkV 108 thanks @Angelo Farina

449e213785161d456dd51319ec2a0dd5_thumb.jpg

@Lorenzoid

What should recreational solo divers do? Or photographers? (Essentially are solo divers)

Isn't a pony bottle appropriate for such divers?

I manage to do 90 minute recreational dives taking photos and video and finish the dive with 50 bar. Divers are responsible to look at their gauges and know if they are getting low on air. I do not need a pony bottle just because I do photography on my dives

Divers are responsible to look at their gauges and know if they are getting low on air. I do not need a pony bottle just because I do photography on my dives
100%, just like you should monitor your fuel gauge when driving your car.

I carry a pony/stage/deco bottle when I do 28-30m square profile dives, which occasionally is in poor vis and likelihood of losing buddy although rare, does happen. My regular buddy also carries a similar set up for the same reasons.

There’s a lot of gear used diving that’s not necessary, and you could make up all kinds of hypothetical reasons for using gear that you don’t need. Stay shallow or close to your buddy if you feel you can’t make it to the surface. I’ve never felt comfortable depending on someone else providing me with air so I carry redundancy. When I get in my boat I remind myself “no one is going to save you “

Not sure that I follow you, you have to two contradictory statements here. On one had you say that you shouldn't use gear for emergencies and stay shallow or close to your buddy and on the other hand, you say that you carry redundant air with you and that "no one is going to save you" implying that you don't/can't depend on your buddy. What are you stating here please?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom