Recommended hotel 1 night after Truth trip, Santa Barbara?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

Been blessed with a lot of info. from a number of people on the forum about a proposed dive trip out to try the Channel Islands off southern California. At this point, my tentative plan is to leave the family home on this one & go with a Truth Aquatics live-aboard trip for a few days. The last day of the trip, I'm told one can potentially get 3 or 4 dives, and the boat should return to port at about 5 p.m.

And I can't spend the night on the boat that night; I asked!

Since I'm looking at August 2016, I thought there'd be lots of options to choose from in hotels. Turns out, online searching shows a bunch don't have availability that night (check in one evening, out the next morning). And those that do tend to run over $200/night; some way over $200!

My plan would be fly into Santa Barbara airport, taxi to the live-aboard boat (can start boarding at 8 p.m., maybe earlier; leave at 10 p.m.) do the trip, return on a Saturday evening at 5 p.m., walk or taxi to a hotel, then check out & taxi the next morning for the Santa Barbara airport. I'm told the airport is about 15 miles from the dock?

I assume this situation faces a lot of people.

Any particular hotels you guys recommend?

I don't need pools, gyms, onsite water parks, etc... I'd rather the bed linens were clean & I didn't pick up bed bugs.

Richard.

Cripes, this is good to know in general. I assumed it would be easy to find an affordable hotel for a night in Santa Barbara - I'm planning on a couple of the Truth trips next year as well. I'm hoping the paucity of currently available reservations is due to the fact that it's so far ahead of time but I'll definitely pay more attention to this leg of the trip.

I'll let you look them up...

Capture.jpg

How about Motel 6, Travel Lodge or Quality Inn options in the neighborhood of $100.00 per night? Santa Barbara has national hotel chain options.

-AZTinman

I saw Motel 6 on Trip Advisor but more expensive than that. Quite a surprise.

Depending on the traffic, the airport is about 15-20 minutes from where the Truth Aquatics' boats dock. Hotel/motel prices will be marginally cheaper in Goleta where the airport is located north of Santa Barbara. You will likely be toast after 3 days of diving, but SB is a beautiful city. Strolling State Street and having dinner on the pier at Brophy's is always a good time, but if you are alone then not so much. Uber is a good option to get around.

Thanks for the help, everybody. What I ended up doing after messing around on Orbitz, Travelocity & Priceline (after Trip Advisor) was book a room with Extended Stay America - Santa Barbara - Calle Real. In rough numbers, a non-refundable room was around $175, a free cancellation till near arrival time around $195, then you got around $25 or so taxes & fees, comes out somewhere in the neighborhood of $220 - 225'ish or so, I had just a few 'Orbucks' so I went with Orbitz.

Looks like it's inland aways & over half-way toward the airport route via what I assume is a major highway. Always assuming I'm reading the map right, etc...

So, at least something is nailed down.

From a dive tourist's perspective, looks like a one night hotel stay cost ought to be factored in with the price of the live-aboard trip if booking trip I put a deposit on.

Which is the Aug. 16 - 20, 2016 Limited Load Southern Channel Islands trip. I believe it just recently showed up on the Truth Aquatics map, and I was the 1st to book it if I understood correctly. Lord willing & providing, I hope to try out that California diving I've been reading about off & on the past few years.

If anybody else is interested, here are a few excerpts from my e-mail exchange, dealing with Truth Aquatics directly:

Here are the answers in regard to our 5-Day trip in August...

1.) What’s it cost?
The current price per person is $1,123, which includes all meals and regular air fills.

2.) I assume it’s not yellowed ‘guaranteed to go’ (unlike the other posted trips) because it’s limited load (fewer paying customers). While there are no guarantees, any rough estimate as to how likely it is to go out? I’d need to put in for vacation time in advance, book airfare out of Nashville, TN, etc… A pretty good chunk of money to bet on the trip, basically.
This is one of our featured trips and that's the reason it's on our calendar this far in advance. We have been running this trip for many years and never had to cancel it due lack of participation. At least 13 passengers needed to guarantee trip.

5.) I’m told Sept. (especially late) through October is good for viz. & still ‘not as cold,’ any thoughts on what I might sacrifice in viz. & conditions if I come in August? (Note: I know the weather doesn’t come with guarantees, either).
You will find great conditions from late July to late October. Usually the water temperature is higher towards October, but it's safe to say that you won't be disappointed with diving conditions during summer months.

6.) About how many dives would be offered on that trip?
You should expect 5-6 dives every full day at the islands. The last day you may have 3-4.

7.) What day & time does the boat come back in to harbor?
The Vision is scheduled to return to Santa Barbara on August 20th around 5 PM.

8.) Given the risks of booking way in advance vs. risks it booking up, roughly how fast do these trips tend to book up?

As I said this is a featured trip with very loyal divers. It's one of the few trips that Truth Aquatics founder and owner run. No one is booked yet, but as soon as the word spreads out it might sell out fast. You can always check with me about its status.

At some point I’ll need to setup a plane trip. If we can board at 10 p.m. Monday 8-15-16 (Monday), how much earlier could we board? I want to allow plenty of time for my bags & I to arrive, but if I take a cab ride down, I’d like to know when I can get on the boat.

That Saturday 8-20-15, the Vision should return around 5 p.m. Can divers spend the night on the boat & head out in the morning, or are they expected to pack up & get off that same evening?

... you're welcomed to board the night before around 8 PM or earlier if the boat is ready. Your trip is scheduled to depart at 10 PM on August 15th. Unfortunately, you won't be able to sleep aboard once the trip returns to Santa Barbara as we need to prepare for the next departure.

There are lots of options for accommodation near by... lower Castillo St. and Cabrillo Blvd are the most convenient place to stay as you're very close to the boats... please, see the attached map of the area... you probably will find cheaper options away from downtown area.

SB Airport is actually in the town of Goleta (approx. 15 miles from the boats)... the easiest way to get here from SB airport is by taxi... another option is flying to LAX and taking a bus to SB (about 2-3 hours ride).

I asked about the option of hiring a guide; I was given contact info., & e-mailed him.

Thanks you for the email. For multi day dive trips we charge $240 Per day. This cost takes into account the time investment, bunk/food costs, and the diving service as well. The service comes with three guided dive per day.
A little about myself; I have been diving these islands for over four years and have logged nearly 1,000 dives out here. The benefit of having a guide here is great. We have a lot of amazing things to see in our waters, some of which are easily missed my our visitors. Also the diving styles (in regards to the type of diving e.g - walls, pinnacles, kelp forests and more) can vary drastically between islands and even between dive sites. Having someone who has been to these places many times before can add greatly to your overall experience. I don't know if you are a hunter, but if you are, we also will do guided spear fishing during these trips if you are interested.
To secure the service we do require a 50% deposit, just the like the trips do too. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I can see where a well-seasoned guide could do a lot for a professional photographer or other person needing to maximize a trip experience, guides have to eat, too, and I didn't ask what happens if a few people want to share a guide, since I plan to travel alone. I don't plan to hire one since it would roughly double my trip cost, & I'm aiming for budget control in 2016.

Richard.

P.S.: I didn't post people's names since it seemed impolite to me, not having requested their consent.

Next time, check Carpinteria/Summerland. Everywhere in SB area is pricey but there is a Best Western that is nice in Carpinteria I haven't stayed so not sure but I'm sure it's less then $200. there's a Motel 6 and Sandyland Reef Inn also in Carpinteria...not great but budget friendly.

I did a quick check on the Motel 6 location; Carpinteria appears to be the opposite direction from Truth Aquatics from the Santa Barbara Airport, so extra cab fare would be a factor.

I have little geographic familiarity with California; researching for this trip has been quite a task. Thankfully Google Maps & the online addresses help a lot. I considered just flying into LAX, but cab fare would be way high back & forth, so no real point. And I don't want to rent a car to drive in a strange place where I don't know the conditions (though I remember from years back the L.A. freeway shootings, so it's my understanding people not accustomed to busy huge metropolitan highway systems may not want to drive there), and would spend 5 days on a boat (not using the car) anyway.

Richard.

Richard.

Back
Top Bottom