recommended fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From a content perspective, I don't have much more to offer than what Bob stated. A very thorough response. What I would suggest is that as you read the posts that will follow, try to focus on the content that is provided and not necessarily the passion or intensity that is expressed. A well presented POV with examples and real world experiences will offer you a much better perspective.

Good luck with your choice.

I like Atomic Aquatics split fins. Can't speak for anybody else.

It's always a good idea to try out several different types of fins to see which one you'd prefer.

Depends on what you need them for. If you only use them for swimming just go to a shop and buy the ones which fit you the best. Just make sure they are comfortable when they are dry because they will not get more comfortable when you're in the water ;-)

The Sports Authority here on Maui is still selling Mares X3's, for $45. Very good value. :)

I'm in the process of writing up a review on split fins and comparing them to other popular fins.
It'll be up by this coming Monday on the Basic Scuba forum if you can wait.

Here's a previous review I did of my opinion on all the abilities, strong points, pros and cons of 3 fin types:
A Fin Review: SP Jet fins VS Force Fins VS Blade (Normal) Fins

In the mean time what I found with the split fins is that they're too highly specialize for anything other than flutter kicking in calm conditions.
They have a top speed that can be reached with both even big kicks or quick small kicks. The top speed I feel is too slow in comparison to the short burts or prolonged burst you can get with Jet fins or Force Fins respectively.
What this means it that you can't fight through heavy waves or current.

You also can't move your feet sideways to slice the water with your fins, too much resistance and it cramps your legs. You'll need to do this to be able to perform specialty kicks such as helicopter turns and back kicks. Also if you thread water by wiggling your feet then you'll won't be able to do this either with split fins.

Just a little preview, I'll have the whole speal up eventually.

Either of these fins would be a great choice. They are made tough Many divers use them, and they are great for all kicking styles.

XS Scuba Turtles, Scubapro Jets, Hollis F1 Fin.

Either of these fins would be a great choice. They are made tough Many divers use them, and they are great for all kicking styles.

XS Scuba Turtles, Scubapro Jets, Hollis F1 Fin.

Well, add the OMS Slipstreams to that list and you've got four of a kind ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There are so many fins available, many costing an outrageous amount of money. I have an old pair of Aqualand Caravelles and would be bet than I can keep up with most of you with more "modern" and technologically advanced fins. I say it's the diver, not the fins.

Good diving, Craig

Greetings maderadiver Bob pretty much covers the bases in post #10.
Now from personal experience I can tell you my fin of choice is the Dive Rite blade I bought the pair I use on ebay for $50.
I purchased a new pair for $99 that split and were replaced with brand new ones that are now my backups.

I have spent tons of $$$$ on fins, Why? I was infatuated with trying different types.
FOOLISH IDIOT! I just called myself that by the way!
I have more fins for sale now that I would love to sell.
Most are splits if you decide you want some let me know.
I paid up ever $150 for some of these babies and now I would sell them cheap.
2 pr Scuba Pro Twin Jets set of LG BLK / set of MD Blue! Split fin
1 pr Scuba Pro Twin Jet full foot sz 9-10 Yellow Split fin
1 pr Oceanic V12's sz md BLK Split fin
1 pr Aqua Lung Rockets sz LG BLK Blade
1 pr Aqua Lung Blades sz LG BLk Blade
2 sets of Scuba Pro spring straps SM and LG

I will sell the listed fins for $50 a pair + shipping!
Spring straps will cost you $20 per pair.
I would love to help new divers out so take advantage and PM for details and we will work it out.
I would love to email pics and will soon post a thread on the classified forum.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom