recommended fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have spent tons of $$$$ on fins, Why? I was infatuated with trying different types.
FOOLISH IDIOT! I just called myself that by the way!

:D

I'm a brand new diver with 10 dives and just bought my third pair of fins :dork2:

My first fins were the Aqualung Slingshots - I think I paid somewhere around $170 for them :shocked2:. I kind of got talked into buying them by my local dive shop. A cousin of mine also owns them and she loves them.

I hated them :yuck:

Thankfully my dive shop let me return them for store credit even though I'd used them a couple times.

Next I found a pair of lighter split fins at an online retailer for $58 and so far am very happy with them (Aeris Velocity XP). I added spring straps and LOVE LOVE my spring straps.

I guess some of the discussion about split fins made me curious to try out a different paddle fin and see if it was just the darn weight of the Slingshots that was the problem. I found a good deal on some Aeris Velocity X3's on ebay and they just arrived last week.

I'm going to try them out in another week, here in the river, and then make a decision about which to take on my dive trip to the Keys.

I'm fully expecting that my new paddle fins will prevent me from silting up the bottom, will enable me to swim against the current, and give me perfect control :D

I can't experiment to see if they help with frog kicks because I don't know how to do frog kicks, and I don't have an available coffee table to practice on. :rofl3:

Last edited:
\
I can't experiment to see if they help with frog kicks because I don't know how to do frog kicks, and I don't have an available coffee table to practice. :rofl3:

:rofl3: I don't think SoccerJenni is ever going live that down

Wow alot to think about

Sorry about storing the pot on split/paddel had no idea

The main reason I asked was because the shop I went to has a " package deal " 399 for "hi end " package 250 for basic I don't have a ton of money and I want to support my dive shop but I. Am by no means rich but I dislike buying junk no matter how cheap so when I see 170 dollar fins and 50 dollar fins I wonder why

About me

I am sink footed and a big Guy 5' 10" 260# wear a size 10 to ten half I have strong legs but they tire quickly ( I can squat 300 pounds but get tired running quickly)

Also I am studying with my wife who is also getting her ow cert as well

She is 5'6 140 and played waterpolo so has very strong legs has size 8 women's I belive

Cost is a big factor as I am buying two complete sets and don't have funds to go all out thank you for any help

As for type of diving I am really new so I could not tell you most likely Monterey and other California coast sites

Just make sure the mask fits you, the gloves are snug, the booties aren't making your feet slide AND they're not hugging your toes to tight.

In terms of fins, paddle-types are the best all around deal; a Jack of All Trades fin. I'd go for stiff paddles instead of flexible paddles. Stiff paddles may cramp your feet if you're not used to using fins, but if you have strong legs or ankles then you can get by by using long sweeping kicks rather than small quick kicks. The stiffer paddles will give you good control, maneuverability, and the ability to get a quick burst of speed when you need it.

One "problem" some divers have is they try to swim through the water when they should be gliding through the water, it tires their legs out faster trust me. Gliding also helps to conserve your energy and you really don't go that much faster when you're swimming :wink:
Slow big kicks; kick-glide-kick.

In all honesty I don't think any one will ever get the perfect set of gear their first time around. There's just too many diving styles and too many opinions out there. Not that that's a bad thing

+1 for atomic splits. They are my first pair since I'm a newbie, but have 15 dives on them and no complaints. The buckles are so easy to use getting in/out surf zone hasn't been a problem. I read lots reviews different gear before I bought them and all reviews were very favorable. So far Ive been happy with them.

Wow alot to think about

The main reason I asked was because the shop I went to has a " package deal " 399 for "hi end " package 250 for basic I don't have a ton of money and I want to support my dive shop but I. Am by no means rich but I dislike buying junk no matter how cheap so when I see 170 dollar fins and 50 dollar fins I wonder why

About me

I am sink footed and a big Guy 5' 10" 260# wear a size 10 to ten half I have strong legs but they tire quickly ( I can squat 300 pounds but get tired running quickly)

She is 5'6 140 and played waterpolo so has very strong legs has size 8 women's I belive

Cost is a big factor as I am buying two complete sets and don't have funds to go all out thank you for any help

As for type of diving I am really new so I could not tell you most likely Monterey and other California coast sites

For California diving, your shoe sizes aren't particularly relevant as you'll most likely be wearing some form of boot or another. Those can vary in external dimensions by quite a bit. I have a set of wetsuit boots that fits my XL Jet Fins. My drysuit boots (turbosoles) fit the same fins. However, I have another set of wetsuit boots that I can barely get the toes of into the XL foot pocket. I own XXL jets, but their pockets are obscenely large - it's like sticking your foot in a house.

So anyway, perhaps pick your boots first and get a fin that fits them.

Great discussion! I'm creeping up on dive #100, and after a trip last week decided it's time to upgrade to a paddle fin, so this discussion was timely for me! Hit a hella current when we were trying to go "upstream" and I thought I'd expire from effort, while my buddy with paddles was working it but making much more headway. That was the last straw. :D

From day one I've had a pair of Tusa Xpert Zoom splits. I've learned to frog kick in them (understanding it's not as effective, especially if you're wanting to go backwards as you can't really slice). With a split you just have to understand that more effort doesn't necessarily mean more power. If you overkick, they just collapse and you get LESS.

Tried the ScubaPro Sea Wing Novas -- my husband swears by his (more power/movement, less leg cramps) but I swear I just *got nowhere* with them. I dove them off a boat in Channel Islands and actually went back to the boat and had the staff fetch me the Tusas and threw the Novas at them. I let someone else dive them during the trip and they liked them, too. Go figure.

Not long ago tried the Hollis F1 for a few dives... yeah, that was nice.

I'm going with the Scubapro Jet Fins after all the reading, reasearch and testing I've done.

So the moral of this story is while there are facts of physics, performance numbers, generalizations and opinions... you still gotta try and find the ones that suit you best.

If one is short on fund, then buy a $50 pair of fins and kick hard. If anything you'd get some good exercise for your legs. Most leg cramps came from either bad kicking techniques or the muscles not used to it, or both.

Decisions:
1. Open heel or full foot
2. Price you are willing/able to pay
3. What looks nicest to you

Forget all the stuff about what type is or is not more efficient, better, most powerful, etc. Buy a pair you like; use them until you don't like them; buy another pair that you like; repeat.

Wow alot to think about

About me

From my perspective there isn't that much difference between the $50 fins and the $170 fins. I have a pair of splits (TUSA Xtremes I think) that I bought because I couldn't fit booties in my blades, which have a full foot. I got my TUSAs for $60 delivered to my door. I got my blades as part of a "snorkeling package" for $25 for the whole thing...I bought it in Thailand though. I like both pairs of fins just fine and so far I can do all kick styles I know how to do just as well in either fin. I can't back fin yet, and I think the paddles are slightly better at helicopter turns, but I'm not really good at those yet either so it may just be my impression.

I will say I prefer full foot fins but I seem to be in the minority with that opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom