recommended fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The difference between $50 and $170 fins is $120. Seriously. Often the $50 fins will be a better choice. Personally, if you want to save money and don't have a specific functional reason splits might be helpful - for instance I've heard of people with say bad knees doing better with them - then I'd skip the splits.

If after reading the arguments for and against splits and various other fin "features", you still don't have a strong opinion on what would be right for you - there is much to be said for buying something decent (and comfortable) used and diving them until you do have an opinion. (Actually much to be said for it if even if you do know what you want.) You've might discover you're happy with your cheap used fins for a very long time if not forever.

I'm a fan of used US Divers original Blades (paid like $10-20 for my current pair on eBay) or Mares Quattros, and I recently bought a pair of Mantas from someone on this board for I think $50. Many folks are fans of Scubapro Jets and similar fins. All these and many other good fins can be had used for cheap. There are even some basic paddle fins that are fairly inexpensive new and would be perfectly fine.

Reactions: OTF
I use Aeris Velocity x3 Open Heel Fins with Spring Straps.

A bit long for some. But perfect for me. They provide EXCELLENT thrust. They are neutrally buoyant. I also notice that when I'm finning comfortably I end up leaving my buddies behind. They have vents in the paddle for decreased leg strain, and they are like rockets in the hands of someone in decent shape with strong leg muscles.

They provide more than enough power for regular swimming with no gear on, you are like a rocket in the water, with gear on, more of a cruse missile :D!

About me

I am sink footed and a big Guy 5' 10" 260# wear a size 10 to ten half I have strong legs but they tire quickly ( I can squat 300 pounds but get tired running quickly)

Also I am studying with my wife who is also getting her ow cert as well

She is 5'6 140 and played waterpolo so has very strong legs has size 8 women's I belive

Cost is a big factor as I am buying two complete sets and don't have funds to go all out thank you for any help

As for type of diving I am really new so I could not tell you most likely Monterey and other California coast sites

maderadiver, with this information about yourself, my advice would be:
1) Open heel fins that you wear with booties. If you are going to be diving NorCal, you will need both the extra warmth that the neoprene of the booties will provide as well as the protection for your feet that the soles of the booties will provide. Make sure that the booties you choose fit into the fins you choose--it's not always the case that they do.

2) Paddle fins rather than split fins. If you can press that much weight, you don't have joint problems, and the fact that you get tired when you run may be more a function of your cardio-vascular fitness than your leg strength. Since your wife seems not to have any leg/joint issues either, there is no reason for you to buy splits. Split fins are more expensive and you can save a little money there.

Mares makes good fins, and their products are available at the big chain sports places, so the prices are better. I personally dive with Mares Quattros and have for years.

I might have to hit Maui's Sports Authority and check my previous price quote; cheaper on line price for Mares X3 might be at this link.

Still significantly more than I thought it would be. :shocked2:

Mares Plana Avanti X3. Fins Open heel, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive - $65 + s/h

When I look at that page linked above, I wonder if the Cressi Rondine A fins mentioned at the bottom might be the best fin for the money. But, very small propulsion difference aside, I like the stock Mares strap. :idk:

Cressi Rondine A. Fins Open heel, Scubastore.com, buy, offers, dive - $62 + s/h

There are plenty of great fins no more than $80; spending more is mostly about dive bling. :coffee:

My go to #1 fins were $72 shipped, off eBay; in store msrp for that model - $149. :D

Greetings divers the difference between $50 fins and $150+ dollar fins are that I pay $150+ then sell them for $50! + shipping well most of it anyway.
Sorry I had to say it!
There are always good deals on used gear that make crazy savings to those that look for them.
I saved $40 and bought my favorite fins off of Ebay that were brand new used twice!
It is funny to pay shipping fees and still save $40+.

Seriously if you are running a tight budget then shop around and keep an eye on Ebay and the classifieds here on SB.
Lots of great deals take place all the time.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Maderadiver.--I don't know if your local dive shops have rental gear as an option but if they do I'd see if I could rent different fin types and try them.-better still if theres a sale at the end of it they might cut you a deal.
My local dive shop offered my wife and I that option with BC's to see what we liked.

My experience with the aqualung slingshots have been absolutely positive in every manner available. I had first got rooked into buying some twin jet maxes and man did I ever hate life with them. I never made any headway in current and they were not as easy on the legs as promised.

I did take my dive master class and had to do the tired diver tow in which I was lagging quiet a bit in alot of the times and almost threw in the towel. I had an instructor loaned me his apollos and man did they change my view on splits. His Bio fins I swam around the pool and swore they were not doing anything for me but he insisted I take the time challenges anyway. I was amazed that it shaved nearly a minute off my times and I was not even exhausted.

If you can get by with it go to a dive shop that allows you to use their pool and experiment with some diffrent types of fins. You may be amazed that often the most under rated cheap fins on the shelf are exactly what you may be looking for. Just be leary of asking a dive shop what their opinion is as there are a handful of shops that want you to pay for their warm water vacation so they tend to want to sell you the most expensive gear they can find.

Greetings maderadiver Bob pretty much covers the bases in post #10.
Now from personal experience I can tell you my fin of choice is the Dive Rite blade I bought the pair I use on ebay for $50.
I purchased a new pair for $99 that split and were replaced with brand new ones that are now my backups.

I have spent tons of $$$$ on fins, Why? I was infatuated with trying different types.
FOOLISH IDIOT! I just called myself that by the way!
I have more fins for sale now that I would love to sell.
Most are splits if you decide you want some let me know.
I paid up ever $150 for some of these babies and now I would sell them cheap.
2 pr Scuba Pro Twin Jets set of LG BLK / set of MD Blue! Split fin
1 pr Scuba Pro Twin Jet full foot sz 9-10 Yellow Split fin
1 pr Oceanic V12's sz md BLK Split fin
1 pr Aqua Lung Rockets sz LG BLK Blade
1 pr Aqua Lung Blades sz LG BLk Blade
2 sets of Scuba Pro spring straps SM and LG

I will sell the listed fins for $50 a pair + shipping!
Spring straps will cost you $20 per pair.
I would love to help new divers out so take advantage and PM for details and we will work it out.
I would love to email pics and will soon post a thread on the classified forum.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!
Been a long time since this posted but if you still have the ScubaPro Twin Jet Full Foot 9-10 for sale, i may be interested...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom