Recommended dive operators in Ambergris Caye?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidsmiley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We've just booked our first visit to Belize and will be staying at the Xanadu Resort. I began examining a number of dive operators, and there seems to be quite a few of the them. Does anyone have any recommendations for a dive operators, and if so could they explain why they are recommending a particular company over another? Is it due to safety, number of people per dive master, number of people per boat, quality/integrity of dive equipment, cost, etc.?

Thanks

I took my GF to Ambergris Caye last year. I believe Xanadu Resort is there. We originally were booked with White Sands Dive shop as they were the concierge shop for where we stayed (Las Terrazas Resort) and after 1 trip with them I cancelled the rest of our dives. After talking with the Manager of the Dive shop about the safety concerns I witnessed I felt like that was the prevailing attitude there. Another couple who dove that day cancelled their trips as well. We both spoke to the Resort Manager and he had us go down to Amigos Del Mar. I was impressed with their operation and dove the rest of the week with them. They had a dozen or so different size boats depending on where you were going to dive that day. We even used them to do the GBH and they were awesome on that trip. Dive Sherpas could learn from that crew. :D

Last edited:
I'm not sure when you are going, but this is off season so you will have your choice. My buddy and I were there in April and went out with Patojo. It was just the two of us and we are both quite experienced. He took us to some great spots and I felt that he was a good operator. You will have plenty of options, so you should check around and see who you might be comfortable with. I looked at the recommendations on the web before going and they were all over the place.
Jerry

Thanks for the input thus far. We will be visiting the area from August 12-19. Any additional recommendations would be much appreciated. Obviously there are dive shops that work with the resorts, but there are also a range of others that do not directly do so. Sometimes, it might be those that do not so, that have better reputations, lower costs, etc. Any comments?

Thanks again

Another vote for Amigos Del Mar. They run a good operation. They feed and handle the fish, but every operator at Ambergris Caye does that.

Ecologic Divers gets my vote. They are very responsive to e-mails. Their DMs are good. They emphasize safety. One challenge, though, is the time of year. I've been to Belize twice during the August time frame for two week stretches. It is a slower time of the year. Some shops won't go out if they don't have a minimum number of divers. I would say out of the two weeks I was there, there were maybe two days in which I didn't dive. The water will be warm. I registered 86F on my computer. I wore only a rash guard,

We dove with Ecologic for the first couple days. Then we moved down the beach to Island Divers. A much better operation. When we got home, one of my regular dive buddies asked if Rudy was still at Bottom Time. No, he had left that shop and started his own dive op, Island Divers.

Back
Top Bottom