Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FSWorld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im looking for a good regulator that will last me (as in something I don't need to keep upgrading). Right now Ive only done warm water dives however I am interested in cave diving, deep diving, and cold water diving. Should I buy something that will do all of that now or should I get something cheaper and plan to upgrade? Either way, advice on which ones to get? I really like my other Atomic items but thats the only brand I know.

Thanks
Zach

I would recommend something like an Atomic M1, or B2 with the enviro seal. you should also consider the XTX50, or Scubapro MK17 & Either the S600 or A700, (this is also assuming your LDS is capable of servicing them for you.)

either of these are likely to follow you though your entire dive career if you take proper care of them, they are all high performance and well respected regulators.

It's easier to buy something good right out of the gate this way your don't end up buying twice.

I am a big fan of the Scubapro Mk 17 G250V.

HOG, without a doubt. Inexpensive and designed for techies.

HOG, without a doubt. Inexpensive and designed for techies.

+1

If I was buying today it would be HOG. I like their products and philosophy.

But I likely won't be buying anytime soon as my original Conshelf regulator from the '70's continues to perform to my expectations.

Thanks guys, exactly what Im looking for. I think Im going to try to go for the Atomic however I want to look at the ScubaPro one assuming my LDS sells/services them.

---------- Post Merged at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:37 AM ----------

Not sure if this is the place but what are your thoughts on the octopus? I guess what Im asking is a standard one vs bcd buoyancy control/octopus? Especially as it relates to things such as cold water and cave diving.

Atomic and Scubapro are definitely good. I have never used HOG myself. But from I hear they are very cheap in quality. Tech guys love them because they are so cheap, but they are also made in Taiwan by Ocean Diver Supply I think with some other cheaper brands. I've heard many good things about them, and I've heard many horror stories. For deco bottles I imagine they would be great, but do a lot of research if you plan on using one as a primary. I know a lot of tech guys love hogs religiously, and some will probably try to get all defensive of what I say. I'm just trying to give an unbiased opinion from what others who know what they are doing have told me.

Scubapro Mk17/S600 or SubGear SG-1000 ( very similar to a Mk17/S600 ) is the reg. your looking for all your future needs.

MK-17's paired with G250V's -me.

Apeks XTX-200's -the kid.

Both went through the same temp extremes in diving and always came out fine after PSD training. Absolutely no chance of us coming to an agreement on this, so you are kinda on your own with this one...

I have a ScubaPro MK25 and R555 set up I bought new for $280 they gave me a great deal on it. I was unsure about spending the money at first however once I dove the first time with it I knew immediately it was money well spent. My air consumption is cut down drastically. I went to the dive shop with the intention to buy a MK17 & R295 set up. I would definately recommend buy this set up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom