Recommendations for pressure testing an AI computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Per my posts in 3D Printing to solve a computer part problem, I am having replacement battery hatch covers for my two Aeris AI computers manufactured using CAD technology because OEM replacement parts do not appear to be available. I know dive watches and watch computers can be pressure tested without diving with it, but what about an AI computer? If so, does the high pressure air hose/inlet need to be plugged before pressure testing, and I would appreciate any recommendations as to who you would trust to do the testing?

If out-of-the-water pressure testing of an AI computer is not feasible, I will have to dive with it in fresh water without the battery installed hopefully to reduce the likelihood of frying the electronics. If it does not leak, I will give it a full operational test. Any comments on this plan?

If this project works, I will make the CAD scan available to SB members (assuming there is no copyright issue with the computer guy that made the computer model) and any information that I gather. I am not trying to set up a business selling hatch covers, but do want to make the information/technology available to anyone that needs a replacement hatch cover. Thank you for any inputs.

Other than pressure pot testing, you will need to take it for a dive

I am not familiar with type of test. Does this test subject the computer just to high pressure or pressure, temperature, and moisture penetration?

Sounds like I have to find someone with an autoclave that can operate without heat. I was hoping my LDS had a pressure tester, but no such luck,

There is an easy DIY pressure pot that I made to test my computers.
At Home Depot, get a large size water filter holder made of clear plastic. There might be a thread in the DIY section. Anyway, those filters are rated to 100 psi, since home water pressure is usually 50 psi.
Anyway, obviously don't put in the filter, and plug the intake and outflow PVC hose fittings with PVC caps. I then drilled the end and fitted a truck style Schrader valve.
Just fill it with water and pump it up to 45 psi with a bicycle pump, and bingo! You have a 100' (roughly) pressure pot.
Best part is that the plastic is clear and you can see the numbers on the computer.
As for the HP air port, I tape the finger cut off a thin nitrile glove over the end, leaving a little air inside the glove tip. As you "dive" the computer, the fingertip collapses around the HP end, and no water gets inside. For some computers, it doesn't matter, but I do it anyway.

Last edited:
A quick trip to any watch repair shop that handles Rolex and other high end brands will get you pressure testing. Rolex, Omega, Breitling...any brand that advertises 'waterproof' watches, also requires their authorized repair shops to pressure test them after servicing. They put the watch (computer) in a chamber and I have no idea how they figure out if it is waterproof--but there's NO WATER involved, it is a dry test just in case there's still a leak.

Beware, not all "repair" shops actually do repairs. Even some very big reputable names (i.e. Tourneau in NYC) actually send the watches out elsewhere, and the real authorized repair shops, or indy repair shops, need to be used.

The water filter idea sounds good, but I'm not sure it would be as easy to spot a small leak, the way watchmakers can.

Dry testing is NOT recommended for dive computers. High pressure air can damage the sensor or the seal. At least, that's what the mfr's say.

So, if I am able to pressure test with water per rsingler above, would I be correct in assuming that I should first test without battery, and then if that test is OK, then try it with the battery installed and computer powered? My thinking is that if the computer is not powered, fresh water getting into the computer might not fry the electrical components, and could probably be dried out, and a modified hatch cover re-designed. Also, these computers are 7+ years old, but I would prefer not to dive with them until I have exhausted other low cost/risk options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom