Recommendations for Maui Molokini backwall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My friend Alex just invited me to go with a group of Instructors/ DM's for Tuesday to the backwall and Lanai cathedrals....he says they are using Lahaina Divers..and I said "why them" and he said they were the only ones that would do both of those dives the same day for him (they have four)...and it was 69 for Instructors, fwiw.

he called five operators. I find the back wall good in whale season (deep lots of whale traffic; song) But otherwise it always (okay three times)seems rather barren...nice VIZ tho! Why aren't there more fish? We have more fish than that off Honolulu. Maybe they are all inside and its not enough of a reef for them?

The dive that made me nuts was off the north of Molakai. Dramatic.

I think we are staying in Castle something-something..a nice hotel.

Oh, he is asking me if the ferry will be running, how does it look? They/we will rent a car and fly otherwise. Kris B...what boat do you use? Will the big south swell effect the backwall?

catherine96821:
HS football season messing up my life

You just amaze me, Catherine. Diving, photography, and playing high school football...Silly me, I left school after only 5 years!:D

he called five operators. I find the back wall good in whale season (deep lots of whale traffic; song) But otherwise it always (okay three times)seems rather barren...nice VIZ tho! Why aren't there more fish? We have more fish than that off Honolulu. Maybe they are all inside and its not enough of a reef for them?

I think part of it is that the wall gets bombarded regularly by the south swells, and there isn't much coral relief. There are some crevices in the rock, so nearer that is where the fish will be around (so they can hide).

The Backwall is neat because it's a wall, and because it's a drift dive... and incredible viz. The experience of the people I dive with, however, is that you're more likely to see the big pelagics inside than on the Backwall -- whale sharks, humpbacks, 15' mantas... they've seen all those inside the crater.

The dive that made me nuts was off the north of Molakai. Dramatic.

That's what I've heard, yes.

Oh, he is asking me if the ferry will be running, how does it look? They/we will rent a car and fly otherwise. Kris B...what boat do you use? Will the big south swell effect the backwall?

I think there was going to be some sort of further ruling tomorrow. I wouldn't plan on it. :)

I usually dive with Makena Coast Dive Charters, though have enjoyed diving with Dive & Sea Maui and Mike Severns. The plus side to Makena Coast is that it's a 13-pax, and they give a fair bit of flexibility to instructors on board. Dive & Sea gives this same flexibility, but they're a 6-pax.

So, no I don't believe that Ed Robinson has any greater safety issues than any other operator. THINK...they don't operate their business in a vacuum. The market would shut them down if they were consistently dangerous.

Funny guy. Just like Catherine said about AAA -- people either die (or are seriously injured) or have a GREAT time. Those having a great time have a significantly stronger voice than the dead when it comes to online communication.

Plus, since HI lives on tourism you don't think the locals who live on those tourists wouldn't put pressure on them to shape up? In fact the other businesses have a vested interest in making sure every tourist has the best, safest, time possible, leaves happy and comes back to spend more money.

ArcticDiver -- the reason I PM the information is that it's lengthy and unsuitable to repost every time someone asks for an opinion on Maui diving.

Furthermore, "slander" is *false* charges or *misrepresentation*. Any utterance of mine towards ERDA has most certainly been based on both my experiences and verifiable company history.

Honestly, what you describe is what would be reasonable -- but Hawaii is certainly far from the norm. Businesses with money sweep stuff under the rug very quickly and easily. The law enforcement branches (DLNR and Maui Police) here are terribly corrupt and enforce the law unevenly based on their personal feelings.

Want another tidbit? Downhill bicycle tours (on paved road) from Haleakala Summit are much more likely to get you injured than anything else on this island, including "extreme" activites such as scuba diving. Try finding that in the brochures.

Aa far as I'm concerned, recreational SCUBA diving isn't even a sport, and surely not an extreme activity. If you can read and understand the numbers on a dive computer you can easily stay safe on the vast majority of tourist dives. People who are unable to think and act in their own best interests are at risk no matter where they are, not just underwater. Backcountry snowboarding and competitive motocross are extreme. Out of shape obese people should not be doing most extreme activities.:crafty:

well, just so my good buddy doesn't KILL me, AAA does aggressive dives but has not killed anyone...although we all know it can happen.

I opt for two of the three when I go, being the prudent person I am.

halemano:
Aa far as I'm concerned, recreational SCUBA diving isn't even a sport, and surely not an extreme activity. If you can read and understand the numbers on a dive computer you can easily stay safe on the vast majority of tourist dives. People who are unable to think and act in their own best interests are at risk no matter where they are, not just underwater. Backcountry snowboarding and competitive motocross are extreme. Out of shape obese people should not be doing most extreme activities.:crafty:
I agree -- which is why the quotes around "extreme" -- insurance companies consider it that, as do many tourist divers. :)

Insurance companies let us take non-certified obese out of shape 10 year olds who can only just barely snorkel on dives down to 40'. Insurance companies do not consider diving extreme.

playing high school football

they make you COOK for the team here, not like OC where I could slide by with a juicebox and an apple.

he he..I broke the news to them about the ferry. Seems they can get Aloha flights for 29 dollars because they were booked on the ferry. Kris, I'm just waiting to see which flight they choose. I guess/ hope they are diving Wednesday.

If Lahaina Divers is supplying tanks, you should check to see what they are supplying. In the past at least, their favorite tank was the AL72. I hate those tanks because my camband has a permanent kink at the 7.25 (Al80) size and the AL72 is the same 6.9" diameter as AL50 tanks. I have to be really, really careful setting up the tank, otherwise the camband will jump back to the 7.25" kink and not grab the tank tightly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom