Recommendations for Maui Molokini backwall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halemano:
Insurance companies let us take non-certified obese out of shape 10 year olds who can only just barely snorkel on dives down to 40'. Insurance companies do not consider diving extreme.
Meant health insurance. Check your policy -- it is usually grouped together with sky diving, back-country skiing, etc. :D

river_sand_bar:
...One thing that I am really looking forward to is a shore dive right outside the condo... I am staying at the Hale Mahina and last time I was there went snorkeling on the reef there....this time I am going to dive it...

Does anyone know about that reef right there??

I've dove north and south of there, but not that reef ... yet :wink: I saw the sand channel right in front of the Hale Mahina and have been wanting to dive it - hopefully I'll get the chance soon - If I do and it's any good I'll post it with the other shore dives on my website so you can see pics etc..

Aloha, Tim

I sense this thread has become thread bare...I observe while munching on a snack that the original topic is no longer even a point of discussion (insert funny face icon here if I can):popcorn: .

Nevertheless, I thank you people for your input. I am in Maui in October and will dive the backwall hopefully, if conditions are right.

Of course, now you people got me wondering whether I should dive some location off Molakai instead or do a shore dive and forget the backwall! (Maybe I should do Reef's End again,,,,)

lol - it has kind of gotten sidetracked ... several times ... hasn't it? :wink:

The backwall is a must do dive - especially if you have not dove it before. Shore diving here is really good, but the vis will never compare to Molokini (an exceptionally good day shore diving is 100 ft vis ... a really bad day at Molokini is 100ft vis)

Why not do both - Molokini and shore :D

have a great trip - and thanks for letting us all drag this thread around the entire island, kicking it's tires all the way :wink:

Aloha, Tim

quietstorm:
I sense this thread has become thread bare...I observe while munching on a snack that the original topic is no longer even a point of discussion (insert funny face icon here if I can):popcorn: .

Nevertheless, I thank you people for your input. I am in Maui in October and will dive the backwall hopefully, if conditions are right.

Of course, now you people got me wondering whether I should dive some location off Molakai instead or do a shore dive and forget the backwall! (Maybe I should do Reef's End again,,,,)
Ultimately, I think two things have been aired fairly well here.

1. You will be hard pressed to find a terrible operator (though we all have opinions and reasons for those opinions as to who is better).

2. Every dive site can have bad days and good days. Every dive site has an equal opportunity at impressing or disappointing you on any given day.

You are just as likely to be eyeball-to-eyeball with a humpback whale doing a shore dive at Ulua Beach (I know someone that has) as you are diving Reef's End or the Backwall.

kidspot:
I've dove north and south of there, but not that reef ... yet :wink: I saw the sand channel right in front of the Hale Mahina and have been wanting to dive it - hopefully I'll get the chance soon - If I do and it's any good I'll post it with the other shore dives on my website so you can see pics etc..

Aloha, Tim

Thanks Tim... and if you don't get a chance to dive it before I get there... then we'll tackle it together and see what we find. It seems like its a bit of a kick out, but its nothing like the kick outs I do here in San Diego.... so I am up for hitting the edge of the reef.

kidspot:
lol - it has kind of gotten sidetracked ... several times ... hasn't it? :wink:

have a great trip - and thanks for letting us all drag this thread around the entire island, kicking it's tires all the way :wink:

Aloha, Tim

I am so glad you can appreciate the humor of this unwinding thread. The sidetracks are amusing. It kind of reminds me of the game we used to play in preschool where we children would sit on the floor in a circle and one would begin by whispering a phrase to the child on the right (or to the left depending on your political bent), who in turn would repeat the phrase to the child on the right, and so on, until the end of the circle when the last person would say out loud what the phrase was--or had become--and we would all :rofl3:.

To answer you, though, Tim, I do not know if time will permit more than one two-tank dive to Molokini (where despite my jest I am still intending to dive), and a shore dive without my own equipment while staying in Kaanapali seems a difficult proposition.

I will just hope for the best when I awaken at an ungodly hour in the dark and head South to Kihei for a dive with one of the dive operators discussed here. It's not too much to ask (is it?) for a great rate, excellent rental equipment, small experienced group, comfortable boat, professional DM/Captain, great snacks, good conditions above and below the sea, and a satisfying and safe dive....Aloha.

It's not too much to ask (is it?) for a great rate, excellent rental equipment, small experienced group, comfortable boat, professional DM/Captain, great snacks, good conditions above and below the sea, and a satisfying and safe dive.

In my experience, that is asking a lot.

The operator that has the best equipment is also one of the worst for dealing with customers. The ones that cater to "experienced" divers (really, all that means is there are no intros on the boat) generally have older, lower-end gear, because experienced divers generally travel with their own gear.

You will have to make trade-offs.

quietstorm:
I will just hope for the best when I awaken at an ungodly hour in the dark and head South to Kihei for a dive with one of the dive operators discussed here. It's not too much to ask (is it?) for a great rate, excellent rental equipment, small experienced group, comfortable boat, professional DM/Captain, great snacks, good conditions above and below the sea, and a satisfying and safe dive....Aloha.

It's all about your ATTITUDE and whether you see the glass half full or half empty. Yes, you CAN get all these things. HAVE FUN and ENJOY yourself!!! :) It's your vacation!! :D Its funny how, on vacation in Maui, we get up earlier than when we rarely have ever gotten up at home, just to get good diving in! We stayed in Kihei and when diving with B & B we got up by 5 am, to get their 6am boat, and when diving with EH out of Mala Wharf, we got up at 4:30am for the drive, to allow for traffic and catch breakfast at McD before meeting the boat at 6:30am for checkin. Maggi

quietstorm:
The majority seems to be in favor of B and B, and your comments on safety really intrigued me. What was it about them that you noticed safety-wise that impressed you? I never really think I know what attributes to pay attention to for safety ssues on a dive boat and would like to learn more.
Sorry I haven't responded ealier but I've been gone for a few days.

Kris you never seem to say anything positive about B&B and you've never dove with them, interesting.

OK when I've dove with them they'll never have less than 3 dive leaders on the boat with a maximum of 12 divers. I've seen them take 4 dive leaders many times. They understand how the surge on the backwall works and showed me how dangerous it can be back there if it isn't read properly.

They also don't bother to go in with any timeshare presentations or any activity brokers and their boat stays full. So it's more than the few that post here who are in favor of B&B. They keep their boat full because of referrals and referrals alone. No advertising.

When I've dove with them on the backwall I've seen them keep an eye on divers who have difficulty controlling bouyancy and without manhandling a diver they'll assist them in a way that is safe. It's a gentle touch they have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom