Recommendations for Maui Molokini backwall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KrisB:
Y I recall several times when Charlie has been helping other customers and Brad is there and he just stands at the back of the store glaring at me. Considering I've never met the guy personally, this is a little off-putting.

And you don't have to worry... at this point, I'm not sending business your way! :D

As for B&B -- you guys have done just about everything possible to push me away. It's not that I dislike you... it's just that I think better service and better product is available elsewhere.
Do you think they need any business you may offer? Do you think maybe, just maybe they've read your comments on this forum or heard what you've said at dive sites about them?

Personally I think you've misread Brad, I think he could care less about you Kris :)

KrisB:
I'm sure being the cheapest around doesn't hurt either. :D
Easy to cut your prices when you aren't giving away money to activity brokers. Brad and Blesi could easily just charge what everyone else does and pocket the extra money but that's not how they roll at B&B.

I just booked with Lahaina divers BECAUSE my friends are booked on that boat to Molokini backside.

Couple of things: No EAN allowed on the back wall, only Al 72's. Its a drift so.. who cares?

Aloha has 49 dollar round trip tickets, no need to show ferry ticket (I don't have one)
But, I did say "the ferry canceled and I hear you were offering some good fares"

KrisB:
In my experience, that is asking a lot.

You will have to make trade-offs.

I was being facetious....:lotsalove: (luv these emoticons)(need one that blows bubbles). But I appreciate your input.

Do you think they need any business you may offer? Do you think maybe, just maybe they've read your comments on this forum or heard what you've said at dive sites about them?

Personally I think you've misread Brad, I think he could care less about you Kris

That's fine... do you think he'd actually recognize me? I doubt it, considering I've never seen them except in the shop.

Al -- frankly, whether it's a misread or not, it boils down to this. As a customer, I don't feel they have exhibited anything close to adequate customer service for me to want to attach them to my reputation by recommending them.

Easy to cut your prices when you aren't giving away money to activity brokers. Brad and Blesi could easily just charge what everyone else does and pocket the extra money but that's not how they roll at B&B.

Contrary to popular belief, activity brokers are only paid on the items they book, not the gross earnings of the activity companies. This is why you find many companies will offer a "mention the website and get 25% off" deal -- they're not paying the broker, so they can pass that discount on.

Oddly enough, unless they've arranged something different that others have tried in the same plaza, they're likely paying a percentage of gross income as a part of their rent... so it's not as though they're free from paying "commissions". :D

quietstorm:
I am still uncertain as to what type of tank to hope for (though I loved the steel 120 I had on Cozumel with Aldora). I have no idea based upon my own ignorance as to what type of rental equipment to hope for (aside from my trusted mask and wrist computer) and far too often realize after the dive has begun how poorly, say, the mouthpiece is for my poor gums (and yes I know I could avoid this buy having my own equipment and no I do not want my own equipment).

Quietstorm, perhaps it's too late to get in on your original inquiry, but here are my 2cents -

What type of tank to hope for... the standard tank size on Maui is AL80

However, I know that Extended Horizons offers steel 100's & 120's, but the customer must special request them at the time of booking to ensure that they're on board and ready for you (same goes for small tanks, which ladies sometimes prefer to avoid kicking the tank with the back of their legs).

Perhaps the Molokini ops are able to do the same with enough notice... ? Or perhaps you can rent from a dive shop and bring your own big tanks to the dock... ?

As for rental gear, it's unclear if your concerns are safety based or comfort based.

If you're a bigger person, who needs a good amount of lead, you want to make sure the op offers a BC with adequate lift to float you, your preferred steel tank, and your weights at the surface AND that there is a way to trim the weights out to avoid face-down diving.

If I were concerned about rental gear, the things I might ask are as follows:
1. How recently was the rental equipment purchased (how old is it)?
2. How often is it serviced?
3. What brand & style of BC/reg do you rent so I can look them up on the web and decide if I like it?
4. Can I bring my own uber-comfy mouthpiece and zip ties and have the staff put it on the rental regulator I'll be using?

Notice points 3 & 4 - better to take some responsibility and do the research for oneself than rely on too many opinions.

Final thoughts: I noticed that you have not mentioned owning fins and, IMHO, there is no substitute for owning and bringing your own fins... the better to snorkel with, my dear!

Best diving!

catherine96821:
I just booked with Lahaina divers BECAUSE my friends are booked on that boat to Molokini backside.

Couple of things: No EAN allowed on the back wall, only Al 72's. Its a drift so.. who cares?

Catherine, talk with the captain and DMs and let them know you're an experienced diver. If John, Dan, or Mike are the captains or DMing, definitely speak with them...they are the best. The boat ride to Molokini is long but really beautiful, so enjoy it. :D

Quietstorm, perhaps it's too late to get in on your original inquiry, but here are my 2cents -
What type of tank to hope for... the standard tank size on Maui is AL80
However, I know that Extended Horizons offers steel 100's & 120's,
As for rental gear, it's unclear if your concerns are safety based or comfort based.

SDM: Thank you for the response. At the risk of exposing further my lack of knowledge on the subject, tell me what you can about the difference between the AL80 and the Steel 100 or 120, and frankly whatever other information you recommend knowing when evaluating different tank types.

I liked the Steel 120 I used in Cozumel because it allowed for long dive times and I was able to dive without any other weight. I recall many many years ago, however, diving with a smaller aluminum tank (I forget the size:confused: ) which I liked since it was so easy to strap in and dive with and never smacked me in the back of the head.

As for other equipment rentals, I inquire for both safety and comfort reasons. I note some dive operator websites advertise certain gear brands, e.g., scubapro, and thus wondered whether certain brands carry with them reputations for performance, comfort and safety.

I am, as you suggest, trying slowly but surely to take greater responsibility for researching answers to my questions and being proactive (and not a :dork2:), but within the context of a recreational diver who wants to travel as lightly as possible.

I am back to dry land for now....

So when requesting a steel100 or 120, do they normally come with a din valve? do I need to bring my din reg??

I am soooo damn excited to be swimming with the fishies in Hawaii yet again!!!! I dont think I am going to be able to make the next 2 months waiting and diving in 50 deg water with 10 ft vis... IT BETTER NOT RAIN when I get there!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom