Recommendations for DIR Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tecline regs are fine, I dive them every now and then. You are much more likely to get parts etc for them than Diverite in Europe.

And in case of failure what would be the "worst scenario" for this specific DST o-ring? Will I lost all my gas in 3minutes or will I have time to fix the issues or/and abord the dive safely with a buddy? I recall a document about regulators and hoses failure with amount of liters lost and duration. Cant find the document.

This is still a fight between DS4 and DST but I would pick up DST 'cause of turret and easier routing.

edit:
Life Ending Seconds • ADVANCED DIVER MAGAZINE • By Curt Bowen

Last edited:
About TwinTanks:
What is the difference between those products:
- TEST für Packs - Deepstop GmbH That's the one with the previous set 595 €
- DIR Twin Deepstop Edition - Deepstop GmbH 12L roundbottom 735 €

The galvanized steel cylinders are kind of a boutique product. Beautiful and definitely corrosion resistant.
The regular ones will be absolutely fine and will probably last longer than you care. Save that money for something else, like another set of D12 bottles if your diving benefits from it.

Must I met Apeks technician or Instructor to build it (make sure that everything is working safely ?)

No. If you order from deepstop, everything will be set up ready for fundies. If you think you have special needs with hose lengths etc. you can also ask them. They are GUE instructors. Even better is to contact GUE instructors who you might want to do the course with. They will answer and help with equipment questions, probably better than scubaboard...

Last edited:
This is still a fight between DS4 and DST but I would pick up DST 'cause of turret and easier routing.

Most people prefer the 5 port DST over DS4 (and even TEK3) for backmount doubles, including serious dives. Turret o ring failure is extremely rare and hose routing is significantly better.
If serious about GUE, you don't need a Perdix. It will be an expensive bottom timer for that trail.

AJ:
Where do you get that idea?

From GUE instructors who taught courses I have attended. Maybe sometime later during the path, possibly, but this far I have been taught to use bottom timer only and my Perdix has been set to gauge mode. Perdix is nice in gauge mode too, but sort of pricey for that.
Where in GUE curriculum dive computers are introduced? Pardon my ignorance for this.

This is what I am afraid.
- GUE don't have yet Sidemount courses (Why?)
- GUE don't allow Solo diving (I won't have GUE divers around each corner where I might dive and have high quality teamplay)
- GUE look to be still against Dive Computer even if Dive computer highly improved technically with modern algo today

On mobile right now cant paste scubaboard thread about the 13ish points why no-computer vs modern ideas/arguments.

I mean what is wrong if you still do exactly the rigorous dive planification and wear a Perdix as a Bottom timer (or not). Will you be agency-banned if you use a Dive computer? Same will you get banned if you do and practice Solo diving with a SDI certification and own at the same time an IANTD Sidemount certification.

As soon as between GUE divers you strictly do respect what you learnt with them- What would be the issues to dive Sidemount / Solo without them?

Now I hope that some GUE divers are still open-minded. I totally understand we need to promote correct GUE philosophy in public (example about dive computer) but I can't imagine not to consider Perdix as a computer.

Same for taking Sidemount / Wreck / Solo / Ice course or hearing what other no-GUE instructors expert might have to share.

Now if you tell me that Rec - Fundies - Tech - Cave GUE courses build you as a strong knowledgeable divers / and cover anything immagineable where other no- GUE instructors and courses are pointless and useless... It will save me $$ into training - and this is a subject I won't avoid or seek for cheaper price. I prefer to be well-training.

From GUE instructors who taught courses I have attended. Maybe sometime later during the path, possibly, but this far I have been taught to use bottom timer only and my Perdix has been set to gauge mode. Perdix is nice in gauge mode too, but sort of pricey for that.
Where in GUE curriculum dive computers are introduced? Pardon my ignorance for this.
Dive computers are nowhere intoduced in the curriculum. It's not an agency like PADI or SSI that teaches you to rely on your computer with all the bells and whistles. GUE trains thinking divers that understand what they are doing and are capable of planning and executing a dive and cope with changing circumstances during the dive without electronic aids.

No one ever said GUE banned computer all together. In fact all GUE divers I have met use computers. They just don't need them. That's why you learn to do without them in training :wink: Same goes for the way you learn to shoot an SMB. From Tech 1 on you most likely will be allowed to have SMB and spool attached before starting the dive.

The reasong they throw all this stuff at us is task loading. Being able to dive without computers, assembling an SMB while air sharing and keeping your depth and trim means you're a very capable diver ready for advanced diving.

This is what I am afraid.
- GUE don't have yet Sidemount courses (Why?)
- GUE don't allow Solo diving (I won't have GUE divers around each corner where I might dive and have high quality teamplay)
- GUE look to be still against Dive Computer even if Dive computer highly improved technically with modern algo today
GUE has an standardized way of team diving which allows them to dive the way they do. It's all about team diving. SM, solo, etc. is about non team diving even if you're diving with others.

I mean what is wrong if you still do exactly the rigorous dive planification and wear a Perdix as a Bottom timer (or not). Will you be agency-banned if you use a Dive computer? Same will you get banned if you do and practice Solo diving with a SDI certification and own at the same time an IANTD Sidemount certification.
A GUE dive is a dive where the team decides to dive the GUE way. Nothing more, nothing less. If you decide to dive any other way, that's fine. Just don't call it a GUE dive :wink: You won't get banned or anything.

As soon as between GUE divers you strictly do respect what you learnt with them- What would be the issues to dive Sidemount / Solo without them?
Nothing, you can still use the GUE EDGE, skills and all. It's just not called a GUE team dive. That's all.

Now I hope that some GUE divers are still open-minded. I totally understand we need to promote correct GUE philosophy in public (example about dive computer) but I can't imagine not to consider Perdix as a computer.
Beleive me, they are less strict then some think they are. Allmost every GUE instructor dives BCD, Sidemount, single tank, no mount and what so ever. It's some legend that has been created that GUE divers are super divers that dive only one way with one brand and one size and GUE buddies, and of course: all has to be black :coffee:. They actually don't, they are just divers who enjoy their sport with other divers that dive safe no matter what training they have.

Now if you tell me that Rec - Fundies - Tech - Cave GUE courses build you as a strong knowledgeable divers / and cover anything immagineable where other no- GUE instructors and courses are pointless and useless... It will save me $$ into training - and this is a subject I won't avoid or seek for cheaper price. I prefer to be well-training.
This I will not ever tell you! It does not matter what agency a good instructor represents, he or shee will make you a better diver. That's the whole point of instruction, is'nt it? However, to become a GUE instructor you have to be a very skilled high level diver with loads of diving an dtraining experience. This makes that GUE instructors give high level training. They make sure your training will be tough but worthwhile to make you a better diver. No card for trying, but because you proved it to be worthy.

In the end, GUE is just another agency. It has to fit you. It's not for everyone and it does not want to be. They have a philisophy the stick to as other agencies adhere their own philosophy. You decide how you dive with what tools on every dive except GUE training dives. During training the instructor makes up the rules (i.e. computer in guage mode) within traing limits.

AJ:
No one ever said GUE banned computer all together. In fact all GUE divers I have met use computers. They just don't need them. That's why you learn to do without them in training :wink: Same goes for the way you learn to shoot an SMB. From Tech 1 on you most likely will be allowed to have SMB and spool attached before starting the dive.

The reasong they throw all this stuff at us is task loading. Being able to dive without computers, assembling an SMB while air sharing and keeping your depth and trim means you're a very capable diver ready for advanced diving.

If I understand right - after proper pre-dive planning (I imagine their dive plannification / checklist are more intense and involve a lot more things than other agency??)
- if anything goes wrong during the dive they are aware and able to fix it without to have a computer ?

They are able to ajust their deco time if issues happened X min at Y depth and require X additionnal minutes at deco stop ?
That look kinda badass performance.

AJ:
No one ever said GUE banned computer all together. In fact all GUE divers I have met use computers. They just don't need them. That's why you learn to do without them in training :wink:
Why would they own and use one if they don't need and not learnt to use them during the whole curri

I believe it's a Shearwater Perdix (US$ 850+) as everyone do recommand that Dive computer instead of a :
Uwatec/Scubapro Digital Bottomtimer 330m - Deepstop GmbH
DIR Compass SK8 - Deepstop GmbH
DIR Bottom Timer Mount - Deepstop GmbH
for US$ 220 ?

Could you tell me more about task loading ?
What would make them more aware than someone who is doing quite the same but no-gue trained ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom