Recommendations for DIR Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks much.

I will read more around that forum section. But Im not that experienced into regulators so I will need advices.

Which brands are technical and dir compliant and perform really really well?

Scubapro, Apeks what else?

the list that doesn't is much shorter. Where are you located? Are you interested in DIY service? Who are you taking fundies with? those are much more important

Im located in Europe and have Scubapro and Apeks service centers (with other brands too) and yes I am interested into DIY service (and will buy all testing tools too)

I will take GUE with an instructor located in Europe but look like everyone can travel.
I am not quite sure as I have to contact them and setup a class / and I still don't know if they still do Fundamentals even if they can teach Tech 2 or Cave 2 for example but located in EU after reading CV

JP Bresser (IE)
Andrea Marassich (IT)
Mario Arena (IE)
John Kendall (IT)
Richard Walker (IE)
Bruno Borelli (IT)

Last edited:
Im located in Europe and have Scubapro and Apeks service center (with few others too) and yes I am interested into DIY service (and will buy all testing tools too)

I will take GUE with an instructor located in Europe but look like everyone can travel.

if you're in Europe, I'd stay with one of those two. I believe Apeks may have better DIY service over there. Can't go wrong with either of them though. Apeks would be DST/XTX50 if it were me, and Scubapro would be MK25/G260's

Apeks DST/XTX50s
Scubapro Mk25 (Evo?) /G260s

Both are compatible with Doubles, Sidemount?

A related question-- a regulator set installed for Doubles configuration should stay for Doubles? Is it pain to remove and build a Sidemount configuration with the same regulator set?

I should buy a set for Doubles and also a set for Sidemount ? 4x first stage + 6x 2nd stage ?

Which set combinaison for deco/stage? Except they must be at list all Oxyclean?
Someone suggested me to Oxyclean all regulators too

Apeks DST/XTX50s
Scubapro Mk25 (Evo?) /G260s

I should buy a set for Doubles and also a set for Sidemount ? 4x first stage + 6x 2nd stage ?

Only if your intent is to spend a lot of extra money. Honestly I would not worry about the damn brand of your regulator. Any training organization that says you need a specific brand is one you want to avoid.

What you need is 2 first stages, DIN, and 2 second stages. The hoses change somewhat from BM to SM but please do not worry about that. Get what you need for the diving you are doing now, and as your training continues, so will your gear purchases, only hopefully they'll be guided by your tech instructor.

You don't need to O2 clean regulators unless they are being used for high percentage O2 blends. Whoever told you that is someone you want to stop paying attention to, at least with regulator advice. Are you currently doing deco dives with high O2 (above 40%) blends? If not, don't worry about O2 clean.

The one issue with MK25s is that they are not the best choice if your diving is primarily in very cold water. For that, you want sealed 1st stages.

The one issue with MK25s is that they are not the best choice if your diving is primarily in very cold water. For that, you want sealed 1st stages.

I will unlikely buy another specific first stage for just cold water (below 10 °C right?) And I would prefer to have at least a compatible cold water directly. Even if I just do 10 dives cold water a year I'm still close to take my car - drive a bit - and met other divers doing cold water. And take a drysuit too and dive in Winter.

What is your suggestion guys for a first stage (and second stage?) who are compatible with extrem cold water below 10°C ?

@Olariuas I would buy a doubles set if you're going the GUE route. To switch to sidemount is fairly quick and easy. Need some specific hoses, but the swap takes less than five minutes.

If you are looking at cold water now, then buy Apeks XTX50/DST over anything else since you're in Europe. Other than Poseidon, they are the only other regulator certified for Norsok which is proper extreme cold water diving.

Your O2/stage regs will come later, but I would stick to the same brand. Apeks has the advantage over Scubapro that all of their first stages using the same parts kit which is nice come service time.

Look at deepstop.de for 100% GUE compliant DIR doubles sets assembled and sold by a GUE shop. That is what you need for your fundies. They sell mostly Apeks and Scubapro. Apeks is slightly easier to service. Apeks service kits are easily available in EU, most diveshops (including deepstop) sell them.

It sounds like you're gonna need a bigger car.......for starters.

What is your suggestion guys for a first stage (and second stage?) who are compatible with extrem cold water below 10°C ?

Your cold water GUE DIR regulator should be Apeks DST with 5th LP port and XTX50 2nd stage. Performs beautifully in any type of diving you decide to do.
I am not affiliated with deepstop, I only send them money on a regular basis :)

Deepstop DIR XTX50 5-Port Set - Deepstop GmbH

This is what you are more or less expected to have for your Fundies.

Back
Top Bottom