Recommendations for DIR Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ:
GUE has an standardized way of team diving which allows them to dive the way they do. It's all about team diving. SM, solo, etc. is about non team diving even if you're diving with others.
A GUE dive is a dive where the team decides to dive the GUE way. Nothing more, nothing less. If you decide to dive any other way, that's fine. Just don't call it a GUE dive :wink:
Nothing, you can still use the GUE EDGE, skills and all. It's just not called a GUE team dive. That's all.

Reading GUE-Standards-v8.pdf
GUE Fundies:
- Be certified, at minimum, as an autonomous entry-level scuba diver (or equivalent) from a recognized training agency

Except if minimun dives between level from a recognized training agency do GUE request to have a specific minimum dives to attend GUE Fundies ?

GUE Tech 1:
- Have earned a GUE Fundamentals - Technical certification
- Must have a minimum of 100 logged dives beyond autonomous entry-level scuba diver (or equivalent).

Alright here is my question.
As you mentionned multiple times 'standardized way of team diving' / 'dive the GUE way' / 'GUE team dive' etc...

Is it minimum of 100 logged dives between GUE divers ONLY ? Post Fundies - Tech pass ?
Dives made without GUE divers / Sidemount / Solo do count as a logged dives ?

During a GUE team dive - can I bring my Perdix even if I have the Bottom timer ?
cause I'll be sad to let him at home lol - and I feel embarrased to buy a US$ 900$ dive computer if I can't dive within GUE dive even if I believe I will do more dives without GUE divers.

Last edited:
Except if minimun dives between level from a recognized training agency do GUE request to have a specific minimum dives to attend GUE Fundies ?

AFAIK all you need to do GUE-Fundamentals is to be a certified diver already.

Is it minimum of 100 logged dives between GUE divers ONLY ? Post Fundies - Tech pass ?
Dives made without GUE divers / Sidemount / Solo do count as a logged dives ?

All dives made outside of a pool will count towards that total. Obviously someone with 100 dives in a DIR environment and with DIR buddies etc will have an easier time of it, but if you have 100 dives, then do GUE-F and get a Tech pass, you can start on Tech 1 the next day.

During a GUE team dive - can I bring my Perdix even if I have the Bottom timer ?

There is a difference between using a computer and relying solely on a computer. Every DIR agency diver I have been in the water with (UTD and GUE) has had a Shearwater computer in computer mode on one wrist. they have also all had a bottom timer on the other wrist. YMMV.

There is a difference between using a computer and relying solely on a computer. Every DIR agency diver I have been in the water with (UTD and GUE) has had a Shearwater computer in computer mode on one wrist. they have also all had a bottom timer on the other wrist. YMMV.

Sure I understand the nuance. DIR agency do build 'thinking diver' and not relay on computer only.
They do plan a dive - and dive the plan.

No, you won't be banned by gue for owning a perdix or for having certifications from other agencies.
Curiously, instructors on gue videos use perdix.
They still do not teach using dive computer on any level. Maybe in the future.
@Olariuas please enroll on fundies ASAP :) Decide after that which route you want to follow. It will be money well spent.

They still do not teach using dive computer on any level. Maybe in the future.
Don't hold your breath on this one :) There's no need for a computer when planning on forehand. It's nice to have and you can teach yourself to use it properly. No problem at all. I'am sure even very advanced GUE diver use their computer during the dive. They don't rely on them and don't want and have to.

@Olariuas please enroll on fundies ASAP :) Decide after that which route you want to follow. It will be money well spent.[/QUOTE]
GUE Fundies was an eye opener for me. I thought I was a reasonably good diver until Fundies. Due to this course I learned what real diving fun is all about.

Apeks DST/XTX50s
Scubapro Mk25 (Evo?) /G260s

Both are compatible with Doubles, Sidemount?

A related question-- a regulator set installed for Doubles configuration should stay for Doubles? Is it pain to remove and build a Sidemount configuration with the same regulator set?

I should buy a set for Doubles and also a set for Sidemount ? 4x first stage + 6x 2nd stage ?

Which set combinaison for deco/stage? Except they must be at list all Oxyclean?
Someone suggested me to Oxyclean all regulators too
Complete Apeks Twinset Regulator Package

If I was buying my regs again, I would get these. Very good deal.

The MTX is not a gimmick. You have to require the features they offer in order to appreciate them. A dead on regulator that doesnt require any adjustment, and exceeds cold water certifications set forth by extremely demanding navy tests.

Typically any sealed first stage will dive down in less than 52°f /10°c. When it comes to making a full length and not a novelty ice dive I'll put my money where my mouth is.

Granted it does sound overkill for the OP's needs.

Sure I would enjoy more talks about GUE path. I see that GUE decoplanner is used as deco software. Whats the diff with

Tech Diving Mag | Free online technical diving magazine | Ultimate Planner
OR
MultiDeco VPM & VPM-B & VPM-B/E & ZHL GF dive decompression software for technical divers
Hi Olarius,

I've only just found this thread, so apologies for replying quite late. Feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like to discuss any of these things.

But in short, buy good quality regs. Beyond that, some regs have better hose routing than others.
There is no issue in taking and using a computer on a dive. However there is a big issue with relying fully on the computer to do all the thinking for you. For the record, I carry a petrel on all my dives and it's in computer mode. However I always pre plan my dive, and then dive that plan.
Finally, if you're thinking of taking fundamentals, then take it sooner rather than later, as it will set you up well for whatever you plan on doing in the future.

Thanks
John Kendall
GUE Tech, Cave and CCR instructor.

Back
Top Bottom