Recommendation on a BC for the wife.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hlsooner:
My wive loves her Zeagle Zena. Back inflate, with all the other Zeagle benefits like ripcord weight releases.

The Zeagle Zena only has 16 lbs of lift. It is super awesome comfy, but you really need to look at where you'll be diving.

When I was diving BC's... I liked the Diva first, then Libra, and last the Sherwood Luna. I also dove a funny Italian Back Inflate. I really liked it, but it was still bulky.

Now, I have a Deep Sea Supply BP/W. It is the best fitting BC I've had. I wish I hadn't waited so long to get one.

There are actually 2 choices of bladders with the Zeagle Zena.... 24 pounds of lift or 35 pounds of lift.

I have to echo that your wife needs to try on as many different choices as possible. My first BC was a Diva and I hated it, but when I tried on the Zena, I knew I had found the perfect fit. But as Pupdiver said, his wife hated the Zena....so it's very personal and a matter of finding what each individual likes.

My wife has tried the Seaquest Diva and Libra but purchased the ScubaPro Ladyhawk.
Our DM daughter also dives a Ladyhawk.

It's all about individual comfort both in and out of the water.
My wife loved the "feel" of the Diva in the shop, but preferred the buoyancy of the Ladyhawk in the pool.

It is a huge personal preference thing, but I'll throw another Zena vote in. My wife says it is by far the most comfortable one she has tried on.

I have a Seaquest Libra. Here is what I like about it.
1. No stupid velcro cumberbund (sp) to get stuck behind your back while you are gearing up, it has a simple snap closure at the waist (big selling point for me).
2. Back inflate (did not like the jacket style)
3. Weight integrated (did not like using a weight belt and did not like the rip cord style on the Zeagle) The Libra weight integration pockets snap in and out very easy to release to hand up to a tender if you have too, very easy to ditch.
4. Cut to fit a woman yeah!

I have done over 50 dives in mine and it still looks like new. Highly recomend this BCD!

Thanks for all of the opinions. The difficulty is going to be finding ones for her to try out. But this gives her a starting point. I personally went through three different ones in less than a year before I found what I was happy with.
:monkeydan

Im sorry, Im new at this, what is the BP/w? I am also looking for a BC (Im a small female) and finding it a difficult.
Christine

My wife is fond of her DIVA LX. The key was for her get into some pools and try different stuff. She found some that were awful for her, some that would have been OK and when she tried the DIVA LX she know it was a keeper.

As your wife's steward you can explain styles and expose her to different models but in the end she needs to be the one trying and deciding.

Pete

ccprankster:
Im sorry, Im new at this, what is the BP/w? I am also looking for a BC (Im a small female) and finding it a difficult.
Christine

Welcome to SB and diving. Never apologize for trying to learn something new. BP/W stands for Back Plate and Wing. This is a very simplistic configuration involving a metal or even plastic back plate, contoured to your back, to support a tank and a wing which serves as the buoyancy system. You can mix and match wings, tanks and plates, along with a weighting system and a slew of accessories to customize a dive system to meet the dive or your style and comfort. I dive an IQ Pack from OMS a very versatile system.
:monkeydan

Back
Top Bottom