Recommendation on a BC for the wife.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschulte

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
My wife is a new diver, just completing her OW course. I have already purchased her the reg and now need to get the BC. I could suggest the BP/W system I prefer, but that would get the look :shakehead.

I need some experienced opinions, so any female divers please give your 2 cents. I have looked at the Diva XLT and LX but can not really make a judgment call.

Thanks!
:monkeydan

I did all kinds of research on the board and looked at Scubalab results and asked questions. I thought I had found the one for me so I ordered it (in Alaska they don't carry warm water BCDs) without trying it on. I hated it. So now I am back to square one and I am hoping to try some on. Let her try as many on as she can to decide how it fits, shoulders, chest, waist, if she likes the pocket arragement, if she likes the weight integrated or not, or if she likes the back bouyancy or jacket/vest style or hybrid. It's a huge pain in the rear trying to find the right one, but it is worth it when you find it.
Good luck.
Chocoholic

Damselfish:
I think she should pick it.

Oh she is going to have final say, she just wants some suggestions. The LDS's carry the Diva and a Genesis product. I have no experience with it and the ladies that dive with our crew are typically in BP/W. She has read the 2007 equipment guide reviews, but needs some solid experience opinions.
:monkeydan

Is she comfortable in the water? If so, and if she doesn't want a BP/W, then have her look at the Libra. It is more comfortable in IMO than a jacket style BC.

My wive loves her Zeagle Zena. Back inflate, with all the other Zeagle benefits like ripcord weight releases.

Some of it depends on how big she is. I had a heck of a time trying to find a BC that fit me, because I'm little. The infinite adjustability of the BP/W was the key for me. I honestly think it's a superb option for a great many women.

Get your wife to dive yours a time or two, properly adjusted, and see if that look doesn't disappear off her face!

get ahold of tobin...he's here somewhere. Deepseasupply.com Bp/w I think he has pink or purple.

My experience with buying my wife a BC tells me that the most important thing is for her to try a bunch of them on. And definitely don't limit yourself to the BCs that are specifically for women. For instance, my wife hated the bodice thing with the Zeagle Zena. We ended up getting her a Zeagle Stilletto. It wouldn't be a bad idea to try to find some rentals to try for awhile.

My wife was tough to fit, as she is on the short side. She settled on the Zeagle Zena and she loves it, especially the single zipper. Being able to mix and match the component sizes really worked. Her seamstress did the measuring and Larry at Scubatoys was very helpful. Thanks, Larry!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom