Recommend an easy-to-read computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quatro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Any other geezers out there find a computer with nice large numbers and icons that I could read without my reading glasses? Nothing fancy, reasonable price. Would be nice if it had a descent light too.

Sherwood Wisdom

Nice and big display, easy to use, not confusing, audible alerts with simple 2 button operation:blinking:

Dive Rite Nitek Duo or any of the variants thereof like the Apeks, TUSA and Cressi models.

I have a used Sherwood Wisdom with QD and compass for sale, if anyone's interested.

I have the Wisdom, I sell both the Proplus2 and Wisdom and......I bought the Wisdom;
Bolder looking display
There are lines that separate all of the numbers(boxes if you will that make it easier to read)
Little bit Smaller dimensions
More Erogonimical for MY hand
Same Algorythm as Oceanic
Actually Same computer just looks a bit different....

Either way you cant go wrong you will be able to read both of them and they are excellent computers....Try to get one with Quick Disconnect and compass(if you dont have compass) the QD is extremely helpful....

Let me know if you have more questions

Here are pics so you can see what I was talking about
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=16_204&products_id=449
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=16_205&products_id=179

Quatro:
Any other geezers out there find a computer with nice large numbers and icons that I could read without my reading glasses? Nothing fancy, reasonable price. Would be nice if it had a descent light too.
I don't see how anybody could answer your question without having your eyes or at least your prescription.

Here's what I'd suggest. Get the computer that's right for you, not just the most readable. Figure out your requirements then go shopping.

Meanwhile, get prescription lenses installed in your favorite mask. In my case, for example, I usually need trifocals: one section for distance, one for mid-range, and one for reading. But in my mask, I only need two lenses. The main one is set for distance viewing, and I have bifocal readers--with my mid-range prescription--for the gauges. With this setup I can read YOUR gauges, too, Buddy. It's so good that I've duplicated it in a backup mask.

FYI, I started on my quest with glue-in readers I got at my LDS. Next I tried DiveOptx readers. They worked well for quite a few dives, but eventually started to come loose.

Here's where I got my prescription filled and installed on my dive masks:
http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com
My LDS says they can get this done, too. In any case, the key is to decide on the right prescription.

Any of you young wups who are chuckling as you read this might just want to copy it and file it. Your time is coming!!!

Check out this thread. I did end up getting the Atmos 2 (with the slightly larger display) from ScubaToys - they were (and maybe still are) having a blow out on these. Be sure to mention ScubaBoard to get an additional discount!

Good Luck,
...steve...

Quatro:

I'm in the same boat age(eye) wise, the double nickle in a few months....I first dove with a computer in Oct last year, a borrowed 2ndary one of my friend's, a Veo 100(Oceanic)....Was able to see everything very nicely....We went back to Cozumel last month & I bought the updated version(same face basically) for that trip, the Veo 180 NX...got it for $230 on line in about Jan of this year.....

The face of the VEO's are very presbyopic(over 40 eyes) friendly.,..IMO, you won't go wrong.. get back with me if you have any other questions about it.......

I would also add the puck-style Suunto's to the recommendation (Gekko/Vyper.2/Vytec,...) if you want a large and readable display. Or the Cobra.2 if you like a console computer. Which one to get depends on your diving preferences and the depth of your pockets.

cheers,

dimitri

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom