Recommend an easy-to-read computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quatro:
Any other geezers out there find a computer with nice large numbers and icons that I could read without my reading glasses? Nothing fancy, reasonable price. Would be nice if it had a descent light too.

======================================

One of the main reasons I went with the Gekko. No light but the screen glows pretty well/long once activated by day/flash light. I've had LASIK but need reading glasses for close up work (X 1.5). Can read the face of the Gekko fine with or without the diopters in my mask.

I use a completely other tack. I use contacts for far vision. A few years ago (maybe not a few for the youngsters) I started only using one contact for diving. I couldn't see the numbers and symbols on my camera. Now that's the way I live, only use one contact. It took some getting used to but my vision is as good as it was when I was MUCH younger.

DiverLS:
I use a completely other tack. I use contacts for far vision. A few years ago (maybe not a few for the youngsters) I started only using one contact for diving. I couldn't see the numbers and symbols on my camera. Now that's the way I live, only use one contact. It took some getting used to but my vision is as good as it was when I was MUCH younger.

It's called monovision...been 'out' since LBJ(ole Big Ears was the 1st prominant person to wear this type of fitting)....When I was in optometry school in the mid 70's, you would find it referred to as the 'LBJ bifocal' in the literature sometimes.....I have probably fit about 2000 patients like this in my 31 years of practice....Bottom line is it works--- for myopes, hyperopes, and astigmats that are presbyopic(over 40)....

Make that 2001, I forgot to include myself.......

The new Mares Wide doesn't have a long term track record to look at, but it sure has a nice big display.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresNemoWide

nemowide.jpg

I have the same problem, and I ended up with a Vytec, but I think the Vyper has the same display, and it's cheaper.

Both the TUSA IQ-800 and the Mares Nemo Wide have nice large displays that are easy on the "older" eyes. And both are easy to operate.

I, too, prefer big numbers and icons in dive computers. Several Oceanic computers in the Veo series and the Aeris Atmos series have big number displays. I recently got the Cressi-Sub Archimedes II (which functions as a watch, uses more conservative Buhlmann algorithms and allows 2 gas mixes as WarmWaterDiver says above) and it has big numbers too.
Dive safely.

I would highly recommend the Sherwood Wisdom. I have been on many liveaboards and have experienced many divers as they futz with their computers. The Sherwood Wisdom has large, easy-to-read graphics, it has a bar graph to show nitrogen & oxygen consumption, and, above all, it is User Friendly (only 2 buttons to push!)

While the Sunnto computers may be good and/or easy to read, they are amongst the most difficult to operate (with 4 buttons).

Bottom line, if a computer has more than two buttons to push, don't buy it. I've never met a diver yet who has been able to remember what his/her four buttons are for and how to use them. When you have a computer with 2 buttons, one button is the 'select' button, and the other button is the 'set' button.

The Sherwood Wisdom is air integrated, nitrox capable, downloadable and, again, USER FRIENDLY AND EASY TO READ. For best prices, I recommend looking at scubatoys.com
Happy Diving!

Have a Suunto Vytec and it is easier on my eyes than my Oceanic Atom. So for technical dives I use the Vytec.

The TUSA IQ-800 is probably one of the largest I've seen plus it vibrates too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom