Recomendations for a cold water wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam308

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My budget on diving equipment has already been spent for this year. However, I would like to make one more purchase. I'm looking for a low price on a cold water wetsuit. Can you recommend one?

Joe

Uh, if you're over budget, why not wait?:58: I'm willing to bet that 1) you won't be happy with a low-dollar wetsuit, and 2) it is September now - there are maybe 2 months left in the Illinois dive season... unless you're diving a lot in the next 8 weeks (not counting ice diving), is it worth it to get a wetsuit now?

Ok, to be fair :sigh: you didn't ask about budgets, so: How cold will you be diving? I started using a Mares Isotherm this season - I'm pretty happy with it, but it was a bit chilly on the Wisconsin this last Saturday. The low-temp on that dive was 41F (my max depth: 118', 14 min bottom time). I've been quite comfortable in water around 45F & up. 41F was manageable, but I wouldn't want to make multiple dives like that - I'm leaning towards a dry suit now (and I probably will do that some time during the winter - I've heard that Lake Michigan viz is awesome in March).

Not many obvious reviews - I'm sure you've searched on scubaboard, a google search on isotherm turned up a few (the sportdiver one is readable via cache). http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=isotherm+mares&btnG=Search
They seem to go for about $500. I've been pretty happy with how mine handles.

Sam308:
My budget on diving equipment has already been spent for this year. However, I would like to make one more purchase. I'm looking for a low price on a cold water wetsuit. Can you recommend one?

Joe

I'm pretty happy with my Xcel 9/7/6 (semi dry, front entry). It was 460.00 though and the coldest I have dove is 47F. My buddy uses a fairly inexpensive (rental) farmer john and says he doesn't get cold. I can post the info on it later today if you like.

Mark

I have a Bare Arctic 7mm one piece (no hood) with a matching 7mm step in jacket (attached hood). They have seals in the sleeves and legs to keep water movement to a minimum and thus keeps you warmer.

I've used this setup in water down to 50 degrees and have been perfectly comfortable with it.

For somewhat warmer waters I omit the jacket and just use the one piece with a separate hood.

I bought mine on clearance (last year's model) from an LDS in the Pacific Northwest, but I noticed that you can get both from LeisurePro for under $300.

I have a Mares Isotherm Millennium Semi-dry. It is very warm, in fact, It keeps my body dry most time. I dove with it in 53F water, still very warm. It is 6.5 mm very comfortable suit and has a zip like a drysuit use.

I also have the Isotherm and love it. It takes a bit of getting use to since you will have to "burp" it each time, at least I do. One thing I really like about it is that it isn't as tight as a regular wet suit but warmer.

I bought an akona 7mil one piece off of e-bay for around $120.00 delivered. I went one size larger, and when we are in water under 50 degrees, I wear my one piece 3mil shorty under it. Don't forget a good quality hood, gloves, and boots. Most of your heat is lost on your extremities. I blew my budget on my proton ice, and the rest of my equipment I REALLY wanted. Don't let cold water scare you off, I've had guys dive vehicle salvage for me in -10f weather, thru the ice with a wetsuit!!

Hey there, I would like to help you with that cheap wetsuit I have some great coldwater stuff that I want to sell and it's cheap. Contact me if you like. 1 877 ok scuba.
Bill
Sam308:

Joe

For all of the people who have the Mares Isotherm, how long is your average dive? My wife and I both use them and they're quite warm, but even in them, we still get cold in 65 degree water after about 70-80 minutes of bottom time. With temperatures in Southern California getting down to 50 or 55 degrees in the winter, we're looking into dry suits for that time of year. Do you all see them same outcome, or are your dives usually short enough that it's not a problem?

FengShui:
For all of the people who have the Mares Isotherm, how long is your average dive? My wife and I both use them and they're quite warm, but even in them, we still get cold in 65 degree water after about 70-80 minutes of bottom time. With temperatures in Southern California getting down to 50 or 55 degrees in the winter, we're looking into dry suits for that time of year. Do you all see them same outcome, or are your dives usually short enough that it's not a problem?

With 65 degree water I am ready to dig out the shorty or at least a 3 or 5mm full. I have dove the Isotherm to 50 degree for about 15 20 minutes and I was just as warm as I was at 65.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom