Recently Certified - Looking to buy gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are going to get into wreck diving, then you are beyond the recreational aspect of things. The conventional wisdom on the board will say go with a backplate and wing. Even though I use a BC, I would recommend as well. You can Not do doubles in a bc unless it is like a Zeagle ranger. The price of that item is prohibitive in and of itself ($700 or so) A BP/W is infinitely customizable which is what you would need in order to meet any situation that comes your way.
YMMV.
There may still be some $440 Ranger LTD 08s around. The Ranger seems to have a lot of BP/W features: very customizeable (including changeable bladder), supports doubles, etc. but also things like integrated weight.

However, that's still probably out of the OPs price range. I can't speak about BP/W since I don't own one, but if you're looking for an economy back inflate, the Zeagle Scout looks like a good option.

As for the package, I considered that one. It looked okay but in the end I figured that I'd end up replacing many of the parts in a couple of years. Also note that it only comes with an air computer: the Nitrox one is an extra $100

There may still be some $440 Ranger LTD 08s around. The Ranger seems to have a lot of BP/W features: very customizeable (including changeable bladder), supports doubles, etc. but also things like integrated weight.

However, that's still probably out of the OPs price range. I can't speak about BP/W since I don't own one, but if you're looking for an economy back inflate, the Zeagle Scout looks like a good option.

As for the package, I considered that one. It looked okay but in the end I figured that I'd end up replacing many of the parts in a couple of years. Also note that it only comes with an air computer: the Nitrox one is an extra $100

Good call on the older models! I owned a scout and the problem was that the weight pockets are in the trim position so it could be a little tricky to get right without a weight belt, YMMV. A used ranger or concept model might just be the ticket though.

The BP&W crowd on ScubaBoard are quite active. I have no strong disagreement but am very happy with my SP Knighthwawk for my recreational diving goals. To each their own. I dive with a 19 cu ft slung pony for the majority of my dives and find my equipment up to the challenge.

Good diving, Craig

I was certified about a year ago and have done about 10 dives since then. I'm hooked on it and am about to start a Scuba II class. I would like to buy my own BC and regulator set-up but only have $700 to spend, plus, I need to get it ordered within the next week.
I have a snorkel and fins forsale. $60 for both. PM me for details.

Good call on the older models!
Well the weird thing that the Ranger LTD 08s are still an upgrade on the normal Ranger (not an older model although it was discontinued first). The only better option is the LTD 09. Why anyone would have bought a normal Ranger when the 08 LTDs were cheaper, I have no idea.

I owned a scout and the problem was that the weight pockets are in the trim position so it could be a little tricky to get right without a weight belt, YMMV. A used ranger or concept model might just be the ticket though.
Personally, the weight pockets wouldn't hold enough for me so I'd still need a good chunk on the belt. But I like having some integrated and some on the belt anyways.

If you are patient, you can get a good solid Ranger for less than $200. A small sized Ranger was sold last week on Ebay for around $70 with shipping.

Love my Ranger and will dive with it till it is coming apart at the seems, but the Scubapro Knighthawk is an excellent BC with a lot better weight pocket system and stiffer shoulder straps.

I am a big fan of my BP/W, but that doesn't mean that jacket BCs are wrong. You need to take some time to dive with several different BCs to find out what feels best for you. I dive with a H.O.G. single wing, and am impressed with it so far.

Some very high quality equipment can be found around here in lightly used form,and this will save you a bunch of money. So when you begin buying my advice would be to carefully look at some of the gear for sale on the classifieds thread.

Buy the absolute best regulators and stages that you can afford. If you have to wait a little while to save a little more to get the ones you REALLY want; do it!

You need to take some time to dive with several different BCs to find out what feels best for you.
Good advice, but not a realistic option for many people. I'm not really sure how I could have actually tried diving with many BCDs considering almost all rentals are jackets. I just took the chance on a back inflate despite never having dove in one.

Back
Top Bottom