Is it too early to think about diving with a twinset?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahh ok, good to know. So really I’d have to get both eventually unless I plan on just diving with one or the other? Probably best I just get a single tank BPW and wait until I have more of a necessity for a two tank system.
Thanks!
I own one of @Eric Sedletzky's most excellent SS Freedom Plates for diving single cylinder. I've owned it since ca. 2010, and it is perfect (to me) for this. Diving it using an old-school 72 is close to perfection when diving shallow- to medium-depth recreational dives in temperate fresh water. I use a Y-valve and two complete regulators for a bit more redundancy.

Something to keep in mind: Even a set of baby doubles (Faber LP50's, say), though otherwise excellent for (deeper) recreational diving, is NOT nearly as svelte as a 72 with a Freedom Plate, both in and out of the water, IMHO. I imagine that a Faber LP85 with a Freedom Plate would feel almost as svelte.

rx7diver

Most single tank wings have stabilizer bars now, obviating the need for a single-tank adapter. Such a wing will be more stable than using an STA as the tank lies closer to your back.
This is true but I have found that having a single tank adapter makes it a heck of a lot easier to switch my bp between singles and doubles. Redoing cam bands sucks.

Maybe if I had just a second bp.

OP you'll love doubles, just get someone to lend you a set and go for a dive. If you can handle them on land just fine you'll love them in the water. I think it's more stable.. the only downside is turning around isn't quite as easy.. it's like driving a big truck vs a car.

Good luck!

This is true but I have found that having a single tank adapter makes it a heck of a lot easier to switch my bp between singles and doubles. Redoing cam bands sucks.

That's why I just bought another plate, I hate the single tank adaptor as it moves the tank away from my back, and plates are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Usually if you buy a backplate and wing, you can change the wing only and keep the rest to dive doubles.

You usually have to change the wing, because it needs to taco around the cylinders and the doubles is obviously twice larger so the wing shape has to be different so it can wrap around the cylinders without too much excess.

Maybe if I had just a second bp.

OP you'll love doubles, just get someone to lend you a set and go for a dive. If you can handle them on land just fine you'll love them in the water. I think it's more stable.. the only downside is turning around isn't quite as easy.. it's like driving a big truck vs a car.

Good luck!
Ok, good to know! I just don’t want to get too ahead of myself. I’ll look more into the adapters I think because that might be a good solution

That's why I just bought another plate, I hate the single tank adaptor as it moves the tank away from my back, and plates are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.
Would it be necessary to get a new wing too? Or would just swapping out the plate do the job?

Ideally new wing too. You’ll want more lift for doubles, but they are likely to “taco” around a single tank. For Caribbean diving I’m in a freedom plate and vintage double hose wing. For doubles it’s a traditional SS plate with the new halycon legend wing (replaced a much much older wing).

I would suggest definitely invest in a dedicated single tank wing and a dedicated doubles wing. There are some wings out there marketed for both, but they all suck when diving a single tank (and sometimes doubles too).

The other thing you may not know as a newer diver is that aside from the webbing itself, this stuff rarely breaks, so it’s relatively sure to buy it second hand. Ideally you would buy something only a few years old from an acquaintance or a friend of a friend who you’d know would take care of his stuff (like rinsing after sea dives …) for a good discount …

The webbing itself is very cheap, for example:

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I dove singles.. it's been years. But if I did more often I probably would. But that means another reg setup (or changing hoses every time). I'm too lazy / cheap for all that:)

@Wreck(ed)Diver you should get a backplate and webbing, get that dialed in and borrow a set of doubles. Depends on your height but 90% of people are good with LP85'S or Hp100's (if you're in a drysuit). Shame you're not closer. I started diving doubles with like 25 dives? A buddy let me borrow a set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom